Thread: Is there anyone out there....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is there anyone out there....

Who can tell me what the freak the lenscrafters HD progressive is? Anyone willing to break the silence?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Who can tell me what the freak the lenscrafters HD progressive is? Anyone willing to break the silence?
    It was at one time a Shamir lens (not certain on the specific model) but as with all lenscrafters lenses, can be filled by the cheapest lens at the time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's been about 6 years since they used shamir for their lenses. Their main lens is the Essilor Accolade, but they introduced a better lens a few years back, and it's digitally enhanced. about a month ago they upgraded they lens, and I'll be honest, its very good. I've tried on a few pairs and they really do have a very wide corridor and the distance is actually super wide as well. They are very weird looking though uncut, almost like a baby lenticular is the only way to describe it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Me being a biker, I immediately think Harley Davidson when I see HD. But then I remember where I am at and a depression sets in...................
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 11-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You know what I like about Lenscrafters? (I think they still do this.) They have their own brand of lenses.

For example, Featherwates. Plain old poly (which I like a lot), but they built their own brand and jacked up the retail.

They also used to have some other terminology for higher index lenses. No manufacturer's brand, just theirs.

Same with progressives, I believe. They would name one category "Invisilines" or something dumb, but they would substitute whatever lens they wanted in that tier. It kept the suppliers from holding them hostage. I think that's smart.

Here's a link to their site for what they're doing today: http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/le...NSLP-US-031413 Whatever.

I think, Optilady, with the Essilor/Lux alliance that Lux will continue to get better lenses for less to sell to their customer. I think all PALs, everywhere, will be very decent soon, if not already.

The message for independents is to not "build the manufacturers' brands" and then have them stab you with a sweetheart alliance with a chain. Consumers don't care about brand, anyway.

(This is not an original idea. I'm probably 5 years tardy with this post. Sorry.)

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a pair each of the first 2 generations, the ray ban rox and the HD, love them both, I have S 4d and physio enhanced and they are not in the same league for lack of distortion and 'wobble'. Getting a Hoya mystyle soon so will see if they are still my fav's

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    It's been about 6 years since they used shamir for their lenses. Their main lens is the Essilor Accolade, but they introduced a better lens a few years back, and it's digitally enhanced. about a month ago they upgraded they lens, and I'll be honest, its very good. I've tried on a few pairs and they really do have a very wide corridor and the distance is actually super wide as well. They are very weird looking though uncut, almost like a baby lenticular is the only way to describe it.
    The accolade is their AVP lens. Its a step below their HD lens. The accolade will come traditionally surfaced if made at the store level and digitally surfaced if it comes from their outside lab. When I left 6 months ago, they were still using a shamir generic freeform for their HD.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    You know what I like about Lenscrafters? (I think they still do this.) They have their own brand of lenses.

For example, Featherwates. Plain old poly (which I like a lot), but they built their own brand and jacked up the retail.

They also used to have some other terminology for higher index lenses. No manufacturer's brand, just theirs.

Same with progressives, I believe. They would name one category "Invisilines" or something dumb, but they would substitute whatever lens they wanted in that tier. It kept the suppliers from holding them hostage. I think that's smart.

Here's a link to their site for what they're doing today: http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/le...NSLP-US-031413 Whatever.

I think, Optilady, with the Essilor/Lux alliance that Lux will continue to get better lenses for less to sell to their customer. I think all PALs, everywhere, will be very decent soon, if not already.

The message for independents is to not "build the manufacturers' brands" and then have them stab you with a sweetheart alliance with a chain. Consumers don't care about brand, anyway.

(This is not an original idea. I'm probably 5 years tardy with this post. Sorry.)
    You know what I think is funny? About 16-17 years ago LC came out with measuring system that was like a head "caliper" if you will and it corresponded to a head size sticker we had to put on the frames. Now, they have the machines to take the measurements such as seg height pd, panto, wrap , etc. but they RECYCLED the name, probably because they patented it, the Accufit measuring system.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    You know what I think is funny? About 16-17 years ago LC came out with measuring system that was like a head "caliper" if you will and it corresponded to a head size sticker we had to put on the frames. Now, they have the machines to take the measurements such as seg height pd, panto, wrap , etc. but they RECYCLED the name, probably because they patented it, the Accufit measuring system.
    That's funny, we were just talking about the head calipers today.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by theGross1 View Post
    That's funny, we were just talking about the head calipers today.

They had to do away with them about 15 years ago. Someone dropped a caliper on the head of someone in upper management it showed a negative number.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I keep one in the shop. Right next to the lens stretcher.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    I REMEMBER THAT!!!!!

I worked at a Pearle back then and people would come up to me and sort of crane their neck so their head was almost in my lap and they would say, "measure me." I near about died the first time it happened.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I remember at the time that the Ohio State Board of Optometry was about to require we put caliper measurements on all Rxs.

Thread Information