Thread: Unfair Rx release practices...

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Unhappy Unfair Rx release practices...

Code of Federal Regulation 456.2
    It is an unfair act or practice for an ophthalmologist or optometrist to:

1. Fail to provide the patient one copy of the patient's prescription IMMEDIATELY after the "eye examination" is completed. Provided: an oph. or opt. may refuse to give the patient a copy of the prescription until the pt. has paid for the eye examination, but only if that oph. or opt. would have required immediate payment from the patient had the exam revealed that no ophthalmic goods were required.

Comment: question a. can the oph. or opt. refuse to give the pt. their RX immediately? Is the wording in this imply that the REFRACTION is part of the "eye examination", since the word "refraction" is not mentioned in the act? So, can an eye doctor have a pt. pay for an EYE Examination, the impose a seperate fee for the REFRACTION, in order to release the rx?
    It seems we have MD practices in our area that it is "office policy" to do this, to all their pts. Exam fee: $125, additional refraction fee to get RX: $25. Pts VERY upset by this "extra" fee.

2. Condition the availability of an eye exam to any person on a requirement that the patient agree to purchase any ophthalmic goods from the ophthalmologist or optometrist.

Comment: Is this like,"we'll do an exam for $XXX (or Free)< "with the purchase of eyewear">?

3. Charge the patient ANY fee in addition to the oph. or opt. EXAMINATION FEE (note:refraction included?) as a condition to releasing the prescription to the patient. Provided: Oph. or Opt can charge an additional fee for verifying ophthalmic goods dispensed by another seller, when the additional fee is imposed at the time the verification is performed; or

4. Place on the prescription, or require the patient to sign, or deliver to the patient a form or notice "waiving or disclaiming liability or responsibility" of the oph. or opt. for the accuracy of the eye examination or the accurcy of the ophthalmic goods and services dispensed by another seller.

Comment: this I presume that means that eye doctors may not write on their rx's such disclaiming remarks as "in accepting this rx, the optician accepts liabilty for the cost of remakes". We do remakes, and rarely charge, but we have the RIGHT to charge, it's the doctors responsibility to properly prescribe. On top of that, we are priviledged to have Ophthalmic Techs evaluate the glasses, many of whom are clueless about glasses.

So, do many of you experience prescription release problems where the doctors office has an "office policy" to just charge every patient an "extra fee"; and btw, if the patient gets steered into the doctor's optical, the "extra fee" becomes a "discount"! ??

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The wording in Part 1 seems to imply that the refraction IS considered part of the "eye exam", otherwise why would a patient expect to receive an Rx if no refraction was performed?
    As for Part 2, I would agree that linking the price of the exam to whether or not glasses or contacts or purchased from them would be a violation. But what if the optical shop offers a discount of $XX which is advertised as "paying for the exam"?
    And of course the one that really gets my goat is the disclaimer on the Rx's. They seem to be getting more and more common. If an MD prescribes the wrong medication and it kills you or makes you worse, is it the pharmacist's fault for dispensing it? (Well, maybe in Mississippi what with the tort situation there)
    My current favorite is the practice that will send patients back all upset that their lens is 5 degrees off axis. This would be bad enough if it really was, but usually it's not.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Call the Federal Trade Commission, if you can get the patients to complain, the fine is $ 1000.00 per patient. Usually stops the practice.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Al, you might get a little faster response if you notified the state medical board and copied the local medical society. I've found in the past that they like to be able to handle questionable practices on the local level if possible.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Prescription Release

Texas Ranger

Your state is well known for violations of the prescription release law. The FTC finally took action in 1996 and issued a $10,000 fine against Doctor's Eyecare Center, Inc., of Dallas, Texas, and its president.

According to the FTC complaint detailing the allegations, after completing eye examinations, the defendants failed to provide many patients with a copy of their eyeglass prescriptions, unless a patient specifically requested it. When they did provide a copy of the prescription, the FTC alleged, the prescription form they used contained a waiver notice that implied that the examining doctor was not liable for the accuracy of the prescription and that the dispensing optician assumes the responsibility for lens power adjustments and remakes due to inaccuracies in the prescription. Such a disclaimer also violates the Rule.

The consent decree settling these charges, required the defendants to pay the $10,000 civil penalty within 10 days and permanently bared the defendants from future violations of the Prescription Release Rule. In addition, the order required the defendants to give a copy of the consent decree, the Rule and its Statement of Basis and Purpose to each of its employees and get back from them a signed statement acknowledging receipt of the above documents.

The law states that the prescription is suppose to be released "automatically" without the patient having to do anything. It sounds like some MD's think they have a way around the law. I suspect the FTC would take a dim view of their actions.

The key is consumer choice. By charging a fee if want to take your prescription but not charging the fee if the glasses were purchased in their office I strongly suspect they would rule it a violation of the law.

If I were you I would provide a copy of this action for your patients to take back to the offending provider. This might make them think twice. I would also notify the FTC, but consumer complaints speak loudest to government ears. I would also bet the local TV would love to do a "investigative report" regarding unethical doctors taking advantage of their patients in this manner. The address is:http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/9605/dr-eye.htm

OAA was very involved in supplying data to the FTC for this case and rallying its menbers to send in every violation they found and telling the public to send in their complaints.

By the way Chip you left out a "0" I am pretty sure the fine is $10,000 per occurance or case where the prescription is not released, not $1,000.

Good Luck,

Rep

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Exclamation

This sort of thing is going on all over the place and until the consumers ae educated to what their rights are, people will get away with treating their customers like this.
    Its on matters like this that the governing bodies in optics, or the local groups should come into there own and make sure that Mr & Mrs Joe public knows their rights..
    Once the consumers know that they can walk with their perscription they will vote with their feet and the docs that wont release them will soon be short on patients..
    Next time you place a dd in the paper or on radio etc make sure you add the info.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually I thought it was $ 1000.00 per patient. Not per joint action suit. Used to know one here in town who could have been fined $30,000 a day if anyone had complained to the right people.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Not to take the opposite side of the fence but I can see where some things make an OD fairly worried and one being the contact exam, I know two OD's right now that end up part of a law suite when they gave out the contact RX slip and now they do not release and fitting information at all in the contacts... in FL. the OD's are kinda stuck between a rock in a hard place with the way our state laws are written, the two I know both involved a "mail order" contact company who failed to meet the RX that the pateint was given.. the way our law is written the OD is still responsible.. go figure.
    I guess you guys must live in some rough area's I know probably about every OD in my area and I don't think I know of any of them who refuse to issue the RX, most often (probably 95%) of the offices I visit when the patient is at the desk (or window) and is paying I have heard over and over "are you going to get your RX filled here?" and they have the slip always ready to hand over one way or the other... maybe sometime back down the road we went through some rash attack of high pressure sales and I just missed it.
    I know here in FL. we have VERY strict guidelines both with the OD's and the opticians almost to the point of being to restrictive.. shoot in this state in an optical if a lic. optician is not on the floor than it is a FELONY to even make a frame adjustemnt (if they catch you of course) and I know one guy that got tossed into JAIL for 30 days for dispensing without a lic. ..YIKES
    Ranger maybe you guys need to take part of our laws and crack down on the offenders and with half of them gone it will lighten our load slightly;)
    Interesting to see how problems change state to state and area to area... our biggest problem in this state (FL.) for making a shortage of opticians is that right now besides the ABO and NCLE
    we are required to have a third, state opticians lic. and that is $800 to sit for!!
    Intersting post and thread.... wish more people from a wider swipe of area would jump in and tell the things that they are running into... come on you west coast guys..

Jeff

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jeff: If a contact lens Rx were just a spectacle Rx with the words "O.K." for contact lenses" on it. Then:
    A) the optician would have to use his own brain and equipement to measure and deside on the the contact lens specifications.
    B) The mail order people would be out of business as the dispenser is the fitter and not a "precriber" therefore not required to furnish specifications or CL information.

In effect the doctor would be saying this eye is healty enough for conctact lenses as far as reasonable medical examination can conculude and this is the refraction.

Think about it the doctor seldom has anything to offer on the base curve, diameter, or lens type on spectacles, why should he on contacts (money, maybe? But then the money is gone from contact lenses thanks to J&J anyway.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Prescription Release

Hi Everyone

Contact lens prescriptions and their specifications are not required by federal law to be released. Some states ( Michigan for one) have laws that do require contact lens prescriptions to be released under the states requirement to release medical records to the consumer laws ( K readings and Contact lens records were considered part of the medical record of the patient).

OAA, NAO&O, and AAO jointly produced a consumer brochure for the public when purchasing ophthalmic goods and services. It was suggested by the FTC that the public find out first before booking appointments if the Dr would release the prescription. The text is still available at: http://www.openseason.com/annex/libr...-wear.txt.html

Contact Lens were discussed in Eyeglass II but the comission determined that contact lens prescriptions should not apply at that time. (It was a different market in the70's, no mail order)

The most fortelling action in contact lens prescription release was in September 1997 when 14 states ( including Florida) submitted to the FTC comments regarding eyeglass prescription release. They recommended that the rules be upheld AND recommended that they be extended to contact lens. The following is their text refuting arguements against prescription for contact lens which makes for some pretty interesting reading.

ARGUMENTS AGAINST RELEASE

Eye-care practitioners cite two reasons in defense of their practice of withholding prescriptions: (1) liability and (2) consumer eye health. The argument involving liability is simply that, if alternative suppliers incorrectly provide the wrong contact lenses, the eye-care practitioner can be held liable. While the ability of plaintiffs' lawyers to create liability theories is endless, physicians are not normally held liable when a pharmacist provides the wrong drug in response to a prescription. It is unclear how misfilling a contact lens prescription by a pharmacist, for example, would create grounds for liability for the eyecare practitioner.

The second argument against releasing prescriptions involves consumer eye health. By withholding prescriptions, eye-care practitioners argue they are ensuring the patient comes back for eye care. If a consumer wants a new batch of lenses, the eye-care practitioner theoretically uses the trip to the office to check the general eye health by a range of activities, from having a receptionist or nurse interrogate the consumer or by having the eye-cart practitioner actually perform an examination This "consumer health" argument is based on a contention that a contact lens, a "medical device," somehow requires an eye care professionals' care and attention at every possible wearing of both the original and replacement lenses. In fact, as a Class II medical device, a disposable contact lens is subject to the same standards of FDA review as a toothbrush.

As such, it is clear that to claim that contact lenses should be marketed only by eye-care professionals, is to claim they are only safe to use after the inspection of each and every lens by an eye-care practitioner. In fact, almost all manufacturers now provide direct shipment of replacement contact lenses to consumers as a matter of general commercial practice. Our investigation has revealed that many eye-care practitioners mail replacement contact lenses to their patients without an office visit during the life of the prescription.

Purchasers from alternative channels have had no greater ocular health problems than purchasers from eye-care practitioners. Our multistate investigation has failed to reveal any study showing any correlation between compromised ocular health and receipt of lenses through alternative channels. Many other medical products, such as pharmaceutical drugs, have been and are regularly dispensed safely via these same alternative channels of distribution. Clearly, if these methods of distribution are acceptable for prescription drugs, which can cause far more potential harm if the prescription is filled improperly than an improperly filled contact lens prescription, then using the alternative channels of distribution for contact lenses should be acceptable as well. Prescription drugs are widely available through grocery stores, mass merchandisers, pharmacies and through mail order and require only that the consumer have a prescription readily available. The more than 26 million consumers who use soft contact lenses should have the same financial and convenience benefits available to them as those consumers who purchase prescription drugs or eyeglasses.

CONCLUSION

The foregoing comments are submitted to demonstrate the need for continuing the Prescription Release Rule. Moreover, the Attorneys General believe the interests of consumers will be best served by expanding coverage of the rule to contact lenses.
    You now have and excellent background regarding the late 90's anti trust lawsuit by 32 state attorney general's against J & J, B&L, CIBA and the American Optometric Association.

It cost the contact lens companies millions in rebates and refunds. The AOA held out for a long time but fairly recently setteled also I think. Perhaps our optometric members can chime in on what it cost them and if they finally setteled.

I have to agree with the Feds and state AG's on this one, which is pretty unusual for me to agree with the federal government on anything. Optometry has opposed the licensing of opticians for decades using the no harm to the public line of reasoning. The AG's don't see the public harm in prescription release for contact lens.

I predict that this may come back to haunt them again regarding cosmetic plano contact lens. Since they are being sold on the internet with out prescription, can it be long before they are reclassified as a class II medical device, not needing a prescription?
    Last edited by rep; 10-06-2002 at 03:17 AM.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I don't think I know of any of them who refuse to issue the RX, most often
    I dont think its a matter of them refusing more they just dont give them out as they should, remember what the paitent dont know they cant complain about.....

in FL. the OD's are kinda stuck between a rock in a hard place with the way our state laws are written, the two I know both involved a "mail order" contact company who failed to meet the RX that the pateint was given.. the way our law is written the OD is still responsible.. go figure.
    You got to feel for folks when its not their fault but they end up getting the blame...Bit like ford getting sued because you broke the speed limit......
    Once again this seems to show the lack of action by the optical bodies who should be advising the law makers.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually the FTC was about to add CL to Eyeglass II. FTC took on the funeral directors and got thier heads handed to them by Congress and ended up greatly reduced in power and clout. All is politics an right and wrong have nothing to do with these or most things.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Does the FTC include the "refraction" as part of the "eye examination"? Since the "refraction" is not mentioned in the regulation, I would think that in reality, the "refraction" is the major time spent in the eye examination, so it could be assumed that it is included, but when MD's can say that it is seperate then charge extra for it, that's quite strange. I believe that Medicare will not pay for a "refraction only", that the patients must be being treated for a "medical" eye disorder. But still don't see how they can charge even Medicare pts an extra fee, when Medicare is paying for the "eye exam". so how does Medicare view this? As a taxpayer, I shouln't mind Medicare helping folks on Medicare acquire eye exams for medical reasons, but to have the eye doctors charge the pts. extra seems "unethical" if not illegal. and to base prescription release on whether they pay a questionable fee is surely wrong... is this something that the American Academy of Ophthalmology supports and promotes?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's been 4 years since I left the MD practice, but I do remember that patients were charged $26 for the refraction portion of the exam that was not covered by Medicare.

Thread Information