Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eyemed will be a problem for us

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyemed will be a problem for us

I heard that Lenscrafters labs qualify as "Eyemed approved labs"...If this is true, wouldn't this violate anti-trust laws? Personally, I believe its time for the optical industry to stand up against Luxottica and stop being sheep led to slaughter.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I totally agree mac. Totoal unfair practices on eyemed and luxottica's part.

Remeber they are our patients that we worked hard for for many years,not eyemeds,however in all of the correspondence eyemed refers to them as their patients in their network.
    They just took the lens portion of the eyewear transaction from us, from OUR patients. They view themselves, as essilor does as our retail partners, which they are not.

We will get rolled as independent buisnesses if we do not hold the line against luxottica and essilor!!!

Has anyone ever had an essilor lab do any edging? Certainly a low quality product.

And now lenscrafrters an approved essilor lab? Thats rich

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah well LC uses essilor products so....... yeah it is not a good situation, here where I am we use Hoya stuff, so tend to run the frame benefit through eyemed and then discount their lenses accordingly so we can use our Hoya lab and get a much better product. Kinda a knee jerk reaction of lux to drive people into LC's and Pearls and the like. The jobs I see from all of the essilor labs are less than good, one of the reasons I like our Hoya lab. Very precise.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kent and Dick, I agree with both of you. My fear is that most independant practitioners are not taking these changes very seriously, when it is the single biggest threat to our livelihoods.
    As for Hoya, I just recently switched to using their lenses and could not be happier.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DickR View Post
    Remeber they are our patients that we worked hard for for many years,not eyemeds,however in all of the correspondence eyemed refers to them as their patients in their network.
    They just took the lens portion of the eyewear transaction from us, from OUR patients. They view themselves, as essilor does as our retail partners, which they are not.
    Chicken or Egg much? They are your patients but if you're a panel provider, you're a service provider for them and their clients employees.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi race...your right except for the fact that thru my marketing and service to my patients who happen to have an insurance that has eyemed as a vision plan,we as a buisness deserve the full transaction(frames and lens ). I in fact eyemed drove new patiens to my practice, I can see sharing the wealth,however I have now asked for that help!!

eyemed and essilor just took the lens portion of the transaction and provided the practicioner a dispensing fee for our service and after the sale service. Since eyemed and essilor are now sharing OUR profits, will they also service the patient after the sale?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is obvious that Eyemed is doing everything it can to direct their clients to Lencrafters and Pearl.All private practitioners shiuld elimunate ALL Luxoticca product from their stores. Don't continue to feed the monster that is trying to kill you.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Mac you are right, and we should take it one step more in not doing buisness with essilor as well. Remember they own frames direct online retailing. Their advertising to the end user for a 10 dollar rebate will enable essilor to have a built in data base of, again, OUR customers to drive them directly to their own web site.

Competition is always good, but if we dont up our game these 2 giants are going to pick our pockets one by one!!!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What I think is happening is the total vertical integration. If you are an EyeMed patient/office, then Lux and essilor and their labs and their products and their frames...If you are VSP, etc. I know that indie wholesale labs don't want to be "the third lab", but it wouldn't hurt to present themselves as a third channel for private work. Kick out the branded progressives and coatings, if there is a possible way (without paying them clicks) or enroll Zeiss if they're available. It wouldn't hurt for them to give up a little of that independence and affiliate as a network, maybe known as "the independent lab network" and get some hungry QUALITY frame companies to work together (not just some Jellybean/Spiderman frame and lens package).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi race...your right except for the fact that thru my marketing and service to my patients who happen to have an insurance that has eyemed as a vision plan,we as a buisness deserve the full transaction(frames and lens ). I in fact eyemed drove new patiens to my practice, I can see sharing the wealth,however I have now asked for that help!!

eyemed and essilor just took the lens portion of the transaction and provided the practicioner a dispensing fee for our service and after the sale service. Since eyemed and essilor are now sharing OUR profits, will they also service the patient after the sale?
    I like to think that too, that I have developed a close relationship with a lot of my patients, VSP or Eyemed. And while I have, true colors would be revealed if we dropped wither insurance. The majority of VSP and Eyemed pts would abandon us if we no longer accepted their benefits. We all have a few pts who would stick with us regardless, but not enough. The reality is Eyemed and VSP *did* hand us those pts, it's *the* reason they came to our office, rather than go to a highly advertised retail outfit. We of course impressed and served them and kept them coming back, but their business is still predicated on our acceptance of the insurance. The loyalty is to the deal, not the eye care.

The calculation we all need to make is just: is the value of free patients and little or no advertising expenses worth the work at the reduced profit? We are complaining about things completely under our control, we are not obligated to suffer the insurance rules, we *accept* them. Complaining about a deal we voluntarily accept is tantrum-like.

The only good thing I see coming out of all this (and VSP's near-elimination of the special lens procedure) is it forces our hands. We've stewed about insurance for years, but it's never been bad enough to force a decision. Now it's getting there, and it will separate those who will go with the flow and slowly be ground out of business, and those who will take the hard line, drop insurance, and put the energy and effort into reinvigorating their practices as truly independent and sought-after eye care professionals. It is encouraging that plenty of our fellow Optiboarders are role models of such eye care professionals. I don't run the practice I work for, but I will do what I can to see that we are among those who succeed.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    I like to think that too, that I have developed a close relationship with a lot of my patients, VSP or Eyemed. And while I have, true colors would be revealed if we dropped wither insurance. The majority of VSP and Eyemed pts would abandon us if we no longer accepted their benefits. We all have a few pts who would stick with us regardless, but not enough. The reality is Eyemed and VSP *did* hand us those pts, it's *the* reason they came to our office, rather than go to a highly advertised retail outfit. We of course impressed and served them and kept them coming back, but their business is still predicated on our acceptance of the insurance. The loyalty is to the deal, not the eye care.

The calculation we all need to make is just: is the value of free patients and little or no advertising expenses worth the work at the reduced profit? We are complaining about things completely under our control, we are not obligated to suffer the insurance rules, we *accept* them. Complaining about a deal we voluntarily accept is tantrum-like.

The only good thing I see coming out of all this (and VSP's near-elimination of the special lens procedure) is it forces our hands. We've stewed about insurance for years, but it's never been bad enough to force a decision. Now it's getting there, and it will separate those who will go with the flow and slowly be ground out of business, and those who will take the hard line, drop insurance, and put the energy and effort into reinvigorating their practices as truly independent and sought-after eye care professionals. It is encouraging that plenty of our fellow Optiboarders are role models of such eye care professionals. I don't run the practice I work for, but I will do what I can to see that we are among those who succeed.
    +1

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi race...your right except for the fact that thru my marketing and service to my patients who happen to have an insurance that has eyemed as a vision plan,we as a buisness deserve the full transaction(frames and lens ).
    some might see it as people who have a managed care program like Eyemend just happen to also be service by you. I see the point you're trying to make in terms of deserving a full transaction, but then accepting managed care is a choice. You could drop it all together and enjoy not having to provide a discount. However, the reality is true private pay cash payers are not falling out of the sky and it just makes sense if someone can save more than the $10-$15/per month for the benefit that they will take it.

eyemed and essilor just took the lens portion of the transaction and provided the practicioner a dispensing fee for our service
    They aren't taking anything, as a service provider for managed care, you agreed to share in the cost savings the customers are receiving.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
    It is obvious that Eyemed is doing everything it can to direct their clients to Lencrafters and Pearl.All private practitioners shiuld elimunate ALL Luxoticca product from their stores. Don't continue to feed the monster that is trying to kill you.
    ^^ this

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    We've stewed about insurance for years, but it's never been bad enough to force a decision. Now it's getting there, and it will separate those who will go with the flow and slowly be ground out of business, and those who will take the hard line, drop insurance, and put the energy and effort into reinvigorating their practices as truly independent and sought-after eye care professionals. It is encouraging that plenty of our fellow Optiboarders are role models of such eye care professionals. I don't run the practice I work for, but I will do what I can to see that we are among those who succeed.
    Well stated. The market is over-saturated with providers. What we're seeing is that companies like VSP aren't cutting many providers, but they are in turn rewarding the ones who are loyal more so than those that are not. Smart move and one that everyone should understand. EyeMed is doing something similar and like many have noted, rewarding their own retail shops in creative ways including service advantages.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    agreed race....however I dont think i was advocating dropping any plan......I was mearly advising not supporting luxottica and essilor as they are in the process of steering members to their chain stores. Eyemed however changed the plan in the middle of the game and you are right we choose to accept it.

As for Dan, I do take offence to your charaterization that this sounds like a tantrum, on the contrary I am just saying as revenues fall we need to up are game as buisness owners to which you are not!!! If your boss gradually cut your pay by say 30 percent would you accept it quietly? You could also quit to find out the market for opticians per hour pay has dropped due to indusrty wide margins being smaller.

Just a thought
    Last edited by DickR; 11-02-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am amazed how most out here seem to just want to roll over and allow these 2 huge companies to roll us like they are in the process of doing.

Ther are many things that can be done in a very professional way.

Race eyemed and essilor did take the lens portion of the transaction from us in the change that just took place.

sure we can roll over and hand it to them or we can like i said before up our game and not be so dependent on these VENDORS!!!

Rememberthey were our vendors and now revenue sharing vendors.

The words Independent optician is certainly not the case anylonger it seems to me.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The conversation seems to have fallen off topic. I never suggested dropping Eyemed, I suggested dropping Luxottica. If Luxottica/Eyemed is going to cut upto 30% of our revenue, then I will cut 100% of my business with Luxottica.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
    The conversation seems to have fallen off topic. I never suggested dropping Eyemed, I suggested dropping Luxottica. If Luxottica/Eyemed is going to cut upto 30% of our revenue, then I will cut 100% of my business with Luxottica.
    Actually, Luxottica/EyeMed/Essilor. Lux stopped being anyone's partner when they bought LC. Essilor stopped being anyone's partner when they bought out the first independent lab.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I totally agree mac. Totoal unfair practices on eyemed and luxottica's part.

We will get rolled as independent buisnesses if we do not hold the line against luxottica and essilor!!!

Has anyone ever had an essilor lab do any edging? Certainly a low quality product.

And now lenscrafrters an approved essilor lab? Thats rich
    Oh my goodness......a man claiming a patient population and listing himself as an optical retailer. If you do not see the irony in that, then you probably will never have an idea why Opticians are in the shape we are in!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Totally off point wm, again just pointing out the fact that most were our hard sought after patients well before eyemed entered into the picture, and again just saying we as independents need to up our game.

do not support products
    from either essilor or luxottica.

another reason I usually dont come to optiboard, folks get personal instead of staying on point and discussing the issue that mac brought forward.

the reason we as opticians and independent owners are in the situation with eyemed and essilor taking over, is because collectivly we dont hold the line and not support theit products.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If we dont claim our customers.....others will....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Race eyemed and essilor did take the lens portion of the transaction from us in the change that just took place.
    I'll take your word for it as none of my locations take EyeMed nor do we dispense any Lux except for Oakley.

Totally off point wm, again just pointing out the fact that most were our hard sought after patients well before eyemed entered into the picture, and again just saying we as independents need to up our game.
    EyeMed still didn't "take your patients", those patients you cultivated opted to subscribe to managed care. Most were likely traded to EyeMed from another managed care plan too. In the end independents need to learn to effectively work the compensation plans MC Companies provide. Providers are at the bottom of the food chain and where they feed is by choice.

Employer
    Employee
    Managed Care Co.
    Service Providers

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I actually disagree with the statement that eyemed are not taking our patients.

eyemed is purchasing the lens portion of the eyewear transaction, a reversal of their previous model. Again our choice to participate. We no longer purchase the lens and have no choice as where to have the lens fabricated. In essence they are competing for the retail dollars with the folks that actually helped put eyemed on the map.

what is happening is no longer a slow attemp to drive our customers to luxottica retail stores.

I guess to mac's point is why support the companies that are attemping and succesfully so, to eat into our profits and tranferring these revenues to their oun coffers. It just is what it is, and we as practitioners like i said before need to see that and up our game.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I guess I am a bit frustrated of how our livelyhood is changing to having less control of our buisnesses in this particular area.

I subscribe to the notion that change is good...not always but for the most part a good thing, it ust boils down to the fact that we can just keep taking it, we need to up our own games and do something about it.

If these mangaed care plans continue to shrink the revenues for each transaction coming into our stores,rest assured the hourly wages and benifits to our employess will have to shrink as well. Again we all need to up our games just like these 2 companies are doing, and I truey feel that independents collectivly are asleep at the wheel. No offense to anyone what so ever, but I dont see the concern collectivly regarding some of these changes in our industry!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    eyemed is purchasing the lens portion of the eyewear transaction, a reversal of their previous model. Again our choice to participate. We no longer purchase the lens and have no choice as where to have the lens fabricated. In essence they are competing for the retail dollars with the folks that actually helped put eyemed on the map.
    The irony here is that the people who actually helped put EyeMed "on the map" were forewarned and knew better for many years that they were supporting a company that wasn't in support of private practice. It's hard to have any empathy for those that are now being impacted by this change. Anyone who has ever supported Lux or EM or even Essilor has supported companies that openly drive people away from Private Practice OD's or even Opticians with the profits even going overseas and supporting non-US companies. I don't care that Mason is in Ohio, the ultimate end is not here and Essilor is France.

what is happening is no longer a slow attempt to drive our customers to luxottica retail stores.
    It was never a slow attempt, it was a direct funnel and the mission was very clear, capture the client, move the patient and sell Lux branded stuff to them directly. Neither ever cared about Private Practice.

agreed race....however I dont think i was advocating dropping any plan
    Dropping them would be a good start but it's a double edged sword for those that currently accept it. The reality is EyeMed won't care. They are at the point that if there are no private practices in an area to support the client, they will just tout their own retail. However, accepting the plan and providing service for them supports the evil empire. It's like living with a lion and feeding him your food just to keep from being eaten alive.

I still stand by the fact that providers should drop them and find alternative ways to increase their profits with others. I get a lot of flack for supporting the other guys but I make a lot more profit and at least with them, I'm not in direct competition for patients.
    Last edited by racethe1320; 11-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Thread Information