Nikon vs Essilor Lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon vs Essilor Lenses

So I just found out last week that Nikon uses Essilor as their lens supplier. Does anyone know if the lenses they use are exactly the same? Like is a Nikon I just a rebranded Ovation or a Natural or something?

I believe nikon has a partnership with essilor but essilor is essilor and nikon is nikon to my knowlege anyway.

Comment

sort of a distinction without a difference.
      same polymer, same coating, lenses with front sides and backsides, sold at obscene prices, with nonsense marketing and a roster of names for "different" products which for the most part, are all the same.
      somehow and by magic, E can sell a "lower" level progressive on line direct to consumer (frames direct?) with no problem, without eyecodes and visioffices and pixie opti dust.

Comment

The Nikon lenses sold in America are the E Accolade and Accolade Freedom. Check your progressive identifier.
        Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by optimensch View Post
          sort of a distinction without a difference.
          same polymer, same coating, lenses with front sides and backsides, sold at obscene prices, with nonsense marketing and a roster of names for "different" products which for the most part, are all the same.
          somehow and by magic, E can sell a "lower" level progressive on line direct to consumer (frames direct?) with no problem, without eyecodes and visioffices and pixie opti dust.
          +1. I would avoid both of them like the plague.

Comment

They're different in Canada. Flatter base curves. Fitting height 2mm above the cross. No prism thinning.

Comment

Are they worth the extra cost?

Comment

Originally posted by stedel View Post
                Are they worth the extra cost?
                Extra cost? The Nikon series in Canada has a range of progressive lenses priced similarly to any other lens manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by edKENdance View Post
                  Extra cost? The Nikon series in Canada has a range of progressive lenses priced similarly to any other lens manufacturer.
                  And Wal*Mart is pimping the h#ll out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Canty View Post
                    I have no idea what Walmart sells but oddly enough it has come to my attention that Costco up here sells the Essilor Accolade Freedom which is making **** confusing. Have to be careful because there is a Varilux lens also called a Freedom and there is no Accolade up here. The Accolade up here is called a Biofit but Costco is American and uses the American names for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Canty View Post
                      www.nikoneyes.com

Comment

Different story in Canada

Comment

Same story here.

Look for Nikon Eyes in a Walmart near you soon.
                          A Nikon is a Nikon (and partially an Essilor).

Comment

Originally posted by OIC View Post
                            Same story here.

Look for Nikon Eyes in a Walmart near you soon.
                            A Nikon is a Nikon (and partially an Essilor).

if we primarily sold Nikon lenses it would be easy enough to explain the difference. They don't use Nikon coatings on the lenses and don't offer the same warranties that you can get from an independent. For all you know they might even be selling the Privilege. :)

Comment

Costco in Canada has moved to their own lab production and dropped Essilor as a supplier.

Nikon does not sell to Wally in Canada, however many sell Nikon based on the fact they dont sell to "chains". If you live in a boarder city (and even if not) I dont want my customers seeing this and "checking out what walmart has to offer".

I think this will drive those Nikon wearers to walmart. they were sold on the brand.....bad move!

Comment

Working...
                              X