Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikon vs Essilor Lenses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    so nice Chinese lady from an apparently large lab in the Shanghai area comes to visit the other day. She brings along samples and a price list for both conventional and digital progressives. Needless to say the prices are, shall we say, remarkable. Basic materials, cr, mr8, mr7 and a photochromic. They seem to really want to make inroads in North America....curious given the massive size of the domestic market over there....I mean, Montreal would not even count as a minor village in China....yet she gets on a plane to travel for 18 hours to get here....

If a small group of canadian ecps got together to buy from this lab (to mitigate shipping costs only, which amount to around $40 for a small box, enough to fit 10 pairs), the savings would be very significant. while i have not tried enough pairs to really know the quality, so far it is very good.

This trend of "global sourcing" will continue to trickle down to smaller local operators and put the hurt on larger local distributors, I believe. That it has not already made even bigger inroads into optical shops, is really surprising. Nikon and Essilor have big production facilities here in Montreal.....as they do in numerous other places around North America. I highly doubt this will continue to make economic sense. We'll see.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    so nice Chinese lady from an apparently large lab in the Shanghai area comes to visit the other day. She brings along samples and a price list for both conventional and digital progressives. Needless to say the prices are, shall we say, remarkable. Basic materials, cr, mr8, mr7 and a photochromic. They seem to really want to make inroads in North America....curious given the massive size of the domestic market over there....I mean, Montreal would not even count as a minor village in China....yet she gets on a plane to travel for 18 hours to get here....

If a small group of canadian ecps got together to buy from this lab (to mitigate shipping costs only, which amount to around $40 for a small box, enough to fit 10 pairs), the savings would be very significant. while i have not tried enough pairs to really know the quality, so far it is very good.

This trend of "global sourcing" will continue to trickle down to smaller local operators and put the hurt on larger local distributors, I believe. That it has not already made even bigger inroads into optical shops, is really surprising. Nikon and Essilor have big production facilities here in Montreal.....as they do in numerous other places around North America. I highly doubt this will continue to make economic sense. We'll see.
    PM me some basic PAL pricing both conventional and FF. I bet I could meet or beat it and everything is sourced here in Canada with major brands.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nikon lenses in America are not Essilor designs. If you get real Nikon lenses with real Nikon AR coatings, you are getting a unique product that prices out very comparably to all other branded digital progressives.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Nikon gets their lenses made in Thailand. At about the cost of xxxxx after getting shipped to Toronto. They used to make great lenses on site. But they were not concerned with quality but cheapest and maximum quantity. Leaving the quality acceptance to the customer, and if they complain re-make them.
    Once Thailand was online and capable Nikon layed off 2 departments. Quality was pretty terrible. But it didn't seem to matter.
    They still got some lenses from Montreal but maybe 30% of their daily orders.
    The people who made the decision to have the bulk of their production in Thailand were all Essilor employees.
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 09-10-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Removed wholesale prices

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by cockeyed View Post
    Nikon gets their lenses made in Thailand. At about the cost of xxxx after getting shipped to Toronto. They used to make great lenses on site. But they were not concerned with quality but cheapest and maximum quantity. Leaving the quality acceptance to the customer, and if they complain re-make them.
    Once Thailand was online and capable Nikon layed off 2 departments. Quality was pretty terrible. But it didn't seem to matter.
    They still got some lenses from Montreal but maybe 30% of their daily orders.
    The people who made the decision to have the bulk of their production in Thailand were all Essilor employees.
    This is the norm - called global sourcing. Essilor, Nikon, Hoya and many others outsource to their global affiliates overseas at a rate of about 70%. They only produce their highly profitable branded lenses in their local labs in Dallas, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver which is about 30%.

There are many reasons why they do this but the main common goal is huge cost savings and to boost their profit margins. Seems pretty logical to me.

I beg to differ on your quality comment as my experience with quality from the labs in Thailand is better than North America's. In case you've been living under a rock for the last few years, Essilor owns a piece of pretty much everything including Nikon, Shamir and numerous independent banner labs. And they're not about to stop anytime soon.

Essilor has the deepest pockets and is very diverse to keep investing where Hoya has almost no cash flow to do the same.
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 09-10-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Removed wholesale prices

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper fair chance that the optical lenses you wear, have been manufactured in Thailand ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

This is the norm - called global sourcing. Essilor, Nikon, Hoya and many others outsource to their global affiliates overseas at a rate of about 70%. They only produce their highly profitable branded lenses in their local labs in Dallas, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver which is about 30%.

Lab Insight is right.............

Even their profitable lenses are made in Thailand as semi finished.

Thailand is todays largest lens manufacturing country.

Whether you buy your new glasses in Thailand and elsewhere, there is a fair chance that the optical lenses you wear, have been manufactured in Thailand. Thailand produces more than 20 % of the close to a billion optical lenses made each year. Besides local independent manufacturers, many foreign countries have factories located in Thailand. These include : Hoya Lens (Japan), Essilor Manufacturing (France), Rodenstock (Germany), Solarlens (Italy), Indo (Spain) and Transitions (U.S.A.). Local total production capacity is 200 million optical lenses.
    A known local enterprise is Thai Optical Group, which produces optical lenses under its own brand names, and as an original-equipment-manufacturere (OEM) for other companies and brands. Thai Optical Group has an annual capacity at present of 27 million lenses.

Most of the raw material needed to produce optical lenses, has to be imported into the country, and has to be transported in refrigerated containers. The larger orders the country generates, creates lower costs per unit of production.

See the production graph by country: =============>
    http://www.thaiwebsites.com/opticallenses.asp

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    These include : Hoya Lens (Japan), Essilor Manufacturing (France), Rodenstock (Germany), Solarlens (Italy), Indo (Spain) and Transitions (U.S.A.).
    Isn't Transitions wholly owned by Essilor now?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by stedel View Post
    100% yes.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by stedel View Post
    Except for Drivewear which is co-owned by Younger and Essilor as it is part of the Transitions line.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    “Nikon Eyes” is an Essilor product. They have paid for license to the name. Nikon progressive lenses all have Varilux mates. (ie, Nikon Compact is the same design as a Varilux Physio 360). Think Trans Am vs Camero. Same company, same product, different division. What you don’t get with Nikon lenses; A.R. product choices, transition choices, etc.

Yes, they do sell these at Walmart. Zeiss lenses as well. Zeiss markets their lenses under one name for private practices and another for the chains but always attaches the Zeiss header. I think it is common practice with all lens manufacturers. Hoya is even branding lens products for specific chains as we seen LensCrafters do with the Featherweight so many years ago.

Nikon lenses are NEVER Visionease lenses or Hoya lenses or anything other than an Essilor product. I hope this clarifies for some of you.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Nikon lenses are NEVER ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Klean View Post

Nikon lenses are NEVER Visionease lenses or Hoya lenses or anything other than an Essilor product. I hope this clarifies for some of you.

correct....................however they are all the same as made by another one.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But we don't have Nikon Eyes here in Canada though, do we? It seems wrong to think that Essilor and Nikon lenses are the essentially same with different names just bevause they have a 50-50 JV, but I might be wrong since I don't mainly deal with Essilor (they are pushing eyezen like crazy here).

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Opt View Post

But we don't have Nikon Eyes here in Canada though, do we? It seems wrong to think that Essilor and Nikon lenses are the essentially same with different names just bevause they have a 50-50 JV, but I might be wrong since I don't mainly deal with Essilor (they are pushing eyezen like crazy here).

To make it short and sweet .................here is the link that proves the case:

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...-Nikon-Essilor

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who lens uses NS as the identifier?

Occupation

Blue Jumper Nikon Corporation, Japan and Essilor International, France ..........................

Nikon Corporation, Japan and Essilor International, France, establish a joint research center in Japan

February 12, 2009

see all of it, at :

http://www.nikon.com/news/2009/0212_01.htm

Occupation

Redhot Jumper They are now having a SILMO 2018 in Thailand this year ...........................

They are now having a SILMO 2018 in Thailand this year. :

About SILMO Bangkok 2018

Creating new opportunities, the first edition of SILMO Bangkok 2018 serves as the ideal gateway into ASEAN’s optical industry, bringing together over 4,000 professionals to explore the latest products, technologies and solutions on a regional stage. The inaugural show focuses on three guiding pillars :

• A business and trade platform;
    • A gathering for professionals to learn and network; and
    • A must- attend event for the latest eyewear fashion.

source:
    https://silmobangkok.com/silmo-bangk...eyewear-market

Thread Information