Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59

Thread: Nikon vs Essilor Lenses

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    35

    Nikon vs Essilor Lenses

    So I just found out last week that Nikon uses Essilor as their lens supplier. Does anyone know if the lenses they use are exactly the same? Like is a Nikon I just a rebranded Ovation or a Natural or something?

  2. #2
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    35
    I believe nikon has a partnership with essilor but essilor is essilor and nikon is nikon to my knowlege anyway.

  3. #3
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    592
    sort of a distinction without a difference.
    same polymer, same coating, lenses with front sides and backsides, sold at obscene prices, with nonsense marketing and a roster of names for "different" products which for the most part, are all the same.
    somehow and by magic, E can sell a "lower" level progressive on line direct to consumer (frames direct?) with no problem, without eyecodes and visioffices and pixie opti dust.

  4. #4
    OptiGeek Wes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    3,170
    The Nikon lenses sold in America are the E Accolade and Accolade Freedom. Check your progressive identifier.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC
    "As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." - Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    sort of a distinction without a difference.
    same polymer, same coating, lenses with front sides and backsides, sold at obscene prices, with nonsense marketing and a roster of names for "different" products which for the most part, are all the same.
    somehow and by magic, E can sell a "lower" level progressive on line direct to consumer (frames direct?) with no problem, without eyecodes and visioffices and pixie opti dust.
    +1. I would avoid both of them like the plague.

  6. #6
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    They're different in Canada. Flatter base curves. Fitting height 2mm above the cross. No prism thinning.

  7. #7
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    35
    Are they worth the extra cost?

  8. #8
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by stedel View Post
    Are they worth the extra cost?
    Extra cost? The Nikon series in Canada has a range of progressive lenses priced similarly to any other lens manufacturer.

  9. #9
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,383
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Extra cost? The Nikon series in Canada has a range of progressive lenses priced similarly to any other lens manufacturer.
    And Wal*Mart is pimping the h#ll out of them.

  10. #10
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    And Wal*Mart is pimping the h#ll out of them.
    I have no idea what Walmart sells but oddly enough it has come to my attention that Costco up here sells the Essilor Accolade Freedom which is making **** confusing. Have to be careful because there is a Varilux lens also called a Freedom and there is no Accolade up here. The Accolade up here is called a Biofit but Costco is American and uses the American names for everything.

  11. #11
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Middle America
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    And Wal*Mart is pimping the h#ll out of them.
    www.nikoneyes.com

  12. #12
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    Different story in Canada

    http://www.nikonlenswear.ca/

  13. #13
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Middle America
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    124
    Same story here.

    http://www.nikonlenswear.us

    Look for Nikon Eyes in a Walmart near you soon.
    A Nikon is a Nikon (and partially an Essilor).

  14. #14
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post
    Same story here.

    http://www.nikonlenswear.us

    Look for Nikon Eyes in a Walmart near you soon.
    A Nikon is a Nikon (and partially an Essilor).

    if we primarily sold Nikon lenses it would be easy enough to explain the difference. They don't use Nikon coatings on the lenses and don't offer the same warranties that you can get from an independent. For all you know they might even be selling the Privilege. :)

  15. #15
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    97
    Costco in Canada has moved to their own lab production and dropped Essilor as a supplier.

    Nikon does not sell to Wally in Canada, however many sell Nikon based on the fact they dont sell to "chains". If you live in a boarder city (and even if not) I dont want my customers seeing this and "checking out what walmart has to offer".

    I think this will drive those Nikon wearers to walmart. they were sold on the brand.....bad move!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIkTlscMidE

  16. #16
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
    Costco in Canada has moved to their own lab production and dropped Essilor as a supplier.

    Nikon does not sell to Wally in Canada, however many sell Nikon based on the fact they dont sell to "chains". If you live in a boarder city (and even if not) I dont want my customers seeing this and "checking out what walmart has to offer".

    I think this will drive those Nikon wearers to walmart. they were sold on the brand.....bad move!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIkTlscMidE
    i disagree. People who already shop at WalMart will continue to shop at Walmart. People who are actually adept and care enough to know what kind of lenses they're wearing won't be duped into buying what is a very obvious Walmart branded product for the masses.

  17. #17
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    97
    I think selling lenses without discussing brand is better, regardless what you are selling. I dont like to use a brand to do the "heavy lifting". "Mr Smith these are XYZ lenses, ther are the best, bla, bla bla"
    All this does is create brand loyalty to XYZ and the customer/patient leaves thinking they can see good because they have XYZ brand. I would rather not discuss (unless asked) or not discuss (not hide) the lens brand and have them leave believing they see good (and look good) because they had a great exam and were fit and sold to properly by me. MY BRAND!

  18. #18
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    i disagree. People who already shop at WalMart will continue to shop at Walmart. People who are actually adept and care enough to know what kind of lenses they're wearing won't be duped into buying what is a very obvious Walmart branded product for the masses.
    I think there are stats that show the % of the general population that shop at walmart semi frequently to be above 80%. So unless you are either located where there is no walmart for a very, very long distance or you are so high end of a practice that your customers/patients fall into the 20% (or whatever) that truly NEVER shop there, I would hope you have not put your eggs in one basket.

    Consumers trust, with your help, quality brand names. That's what it is all about!

    If they see Nikon, they see Nikon.........I would have a hard time justifying "its not the same BS argument" and have done it with other products (Essilor), not part of my strategy anymore!

    Walmart is built on trusted brands for less and like it or not, we cant argue the success of this giant monster!!!
    Last edited by lensguy; 11-02-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks

  19. #19
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    I'd counter with "they aren't selling Nikon lenses, they're selling NikonEyes lenses". Different thing. As I mentioned before I don't primarily sell Nikon lenses but if that's what someone wants I can get them for them. As to the original question of the thread, getting someone a Nikon Go or a Nikon I or a Seemax or what have you are comparably priced to lens offerings from other companies. They're not more expensive.

  20. #20
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    They're not more expensive.
    They are for us:(. We can get a Physio360/Forte from Essilor or a Seiko Surmount/Junsui-AR from Plastic Plus for 50% less than what Nikon charges for an I/Digital/ICE. Maybe Nikon gives big discounts to their high volume customers, but we don't do enough business with them to get those. So unless Nikon is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack (and they clearly aren't) I see no reason for us to buy anything from them whatsoever.

  21. #21
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    Yikes. Costs me less than an Ellipse with Forte.

  22. #22
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,673
    No name in optics resonates with consumers regarding quality as much as Nikon.

    Period

    B

  23. #23
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    35
    Before I started working as a lab tech I certainly thought that Nikon lenses must be the best. I mean, they produce the best (or among the best) cameras in the world, right? From a customer's standpoint there is no reason that Nikon's well deserved reputation in camera optics shouldn't translate to a great reputation in lenses.

  24. #24
    My Brain Hurts jpways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    488
    From that perspective it's amazing that no one has tried to license the Canon name, or Canon going into ophthalmic lenses, because of a similar (or in my opinion) better name recognition

  25. #25
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    What about Pentax? Used to be what we used at LC back in the day. Maybe still do? For me personally if there's one sure fire way to kill a credible name brand is to associate it with Walmart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nikon See Max progressive-an Essilor alternative
    By kittyeyes in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 11:51 AM
  2. Nikon Balance and the new Nikon Move progressive lenses
    By labteck in forum Progressive Lens Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 03:19 PM
  3. Nikon 4 vs. Nikon Seemax vs. Essilor Fusio
    By mlm in forum Canadian Discussion Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM
  4. Essilor Lineis and Nikon Seemax
    By TranceSpirit in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 07:54 AM
  5. Nikon 1.74 and Essilor
    By Optical Enigma in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 11:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics, Carl Zeiss Vision Inc., Vision Systems, Inc., ISOTech and The Optical Group