Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another promotion for onliners. UGH

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Taking down negative reviews or publicly responding to them is one of the biggest no-nos in social media. The best thing to do is ignore them on-line and try to resolve them either face-to-face or via telephone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Taking down negative reviews or publicly responding to them is one of the biggest no-nos in social media. The best thing to do is ignore them on-line and try to resolve them either face-to-face or via telephone.
    Actually, responding (in concise and neutral terms) to reviews, both negative and positive, can be helpful information to prospective clients. It has certainly worked well for us on multiple platforms.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Ok, yes, to a point, as long as you can remain neutral about it. But there have been so many FB/Twitter melt-downs over company related posts, that it is usually better just to not play.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Interesting that I just read a "Managing credibility in your social media" column in a trade mag yesterday that said that "...having just positive reviews ONLY appears as not credible..." - almost as if they are seemingly fake. Having a few negative ones offers "real world balance" (after all, no one is perfect).

Yes, the adjustment review stung. And I have beat myself up over NOT responding back in public. But this column expert said responses to negative reviews should be "taken offline."

Surprisingly, some new clients have mentioned that they perceived the charge for adjustments as "being worth something"

Go figure.

B
    I suspect that you charged someone who purchased glasses elsewhere for the adjustment. Then she takes to the internet to complain? Nice!. I don't feel sorry for her.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I suspect that you charged someone who purchased glasses elsewhere for the adjustment. Then she takes to the internet to complain? Nice!. I don't feel sorry for her.
    Actually it was 2 pair of really ill-fitting zyls, that required 10 min each to get fitted somewhat ok. I charged $10 each. She bought them online.

Ran into her mom in a supermarket who said "You guys are great, but you charged my daughter for an adjustment!" And we s'plained it to her. And she said "Hey, (re: the review)..that's wasn't fair!"

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Actually it was 2 pair of really ill-fitting zyls, that required 10 min each to get fitted somewhat ok. I charged $10 each. She bought them online.

Ran into her mom in a supermarket who said "You guys are great, but you charged my daughter for an adjustment!" And we s'plained it to her. And she said "Hey, (re: the review)..that's wasn't fair!"

B
    We've all been there Barry!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had a long standing policy of charging for any kind of work done to outside frames. I have always welcomed the opportunity to explain to these people why I charge for servicing their product. Especially, when I have a patient waiting to see our Dr, who will then be seeing me. The patient gets to see,first hand,that there is a real value in purchasing from me. Yes, there are going to be those individuals who leave angry. I have been the recipient of negative reviews. Personally I do not have a little mustache, nor do I wear brown shirts, and I can't think of the last time I was goose-stepping around the office, but was called the frame NAZI by one reviewer. A thick skin is a prerequisite for any one who works with the public but I love what I do.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my office any adjustment of outside eyewear needs to be left. I get a receipt book ask name, phone number, by that time they realize it's not happening now as they wait and say 'can't leave them' I tell them when you can I'll be happy to adjust. It's my way of saying 'not interested' BTW maybe 25% will leave them.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cwinma View Post
    In my office any adjustment of outside eyewear needs to be left. I get a receipt book ask name, phone number, by that time they realize it's not happening now as they wait and say 'can't leave them' I tell them when you can I'll be happy to adjust. It's my way of saying 'not interested' BTW maybe 25% will leave them.
    OK! OK!...yes, there is a happy medium somewhere. I'm not sure that chasing them off with delay tactics is what I'd suggest. I mean, why not just get a German Shepperd (no offense to Germans, nor Shepherds) and station it at the door?

For the record, I do free (and some charge) adjustments and repairs all day. My whole point is that I wouldn't try to make a living off of repairing and adjusting online glasses. And yes, I do quite a few adjustments on WM glasses just because the folks at our local WM are so pathetic, we feel bad for both them and their customers.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by cwinma View Post
    How do you adjust the 25% without the client being present?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    OK! OK!...yes, there is a happy medium somewhere. I'm not sure that chasing them off with delay tactics is what I'd suggest. I mean, why not just get a German Shepperd (no offense to Germans, nor Shepherds) and station it at the door?

For the record, I do free (and some charge) adjustments and repairs all day. My whole point is that I wouldn't try to make a living off of repairing and adjusting online glasses. And yes, I do quite a few adjustments on WM glasses just because the folks at our local WM are so pathetic, we feel bad for both them and their customers.
    Will they feel empathy for you, if your local WM closes down your business. I don't know of anyone who makes a living doing adjustments. A small fee for what may require 10 to 15 minutes of your time, knowledge, tools, and electricity is not unreasonable. It can also serve as a demonstration to your patients that purchasing product from you includes these services that they would otherwise have to pay for.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

BTW This has ALWAYS been my policy.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    How do you adjust the 25% without the client being present?
    I can easily see when a frame is out of adjustment, straighten and or replace nose pads/screws. Simple task.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by huskypaul View Post
    Will they feel empathy for you, if your local WM closes down your business. .
    Oh, believe me, they've tried! However, they've (WM) been through 8 ODs in 9 years, and the last one quit 4 months ago. I just finished installing another exam lane to try to catch up with the overflow, but so far we are still booked out until mid-December. Nothing last forever, but as a very, very wise man once (last week) said:

Fess:
    I'll cut hay while the sun is shining and when it rains, I'll find something else to do.
    There are much bigger things to worry about in life...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Hey... are you watching the magic adjustment show? Move over! I want to watch too!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey... are you watching the magic adjustment show? Move over! I want to watch too!!!
    I sure em!

Grab a seat and enjoy!

Last edited by Fezz; 10-28-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sure em! Grab a seat and enjoy!
    It's a bit eerie how much that looks like me!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a bit eerie how much that looks like me!
    That's what I was thinking, but your shirts are always ironed much better!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's what I was thinking, but your shirts are always ironed much better!
    Ok! Ok! I'm laughing out loud now.

...when's the guy with the pliers coming back?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh look!

Optical 24/7 rode up on his armadillo to join us!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You didn't have to say his name...we would've guessed!

Wait, where's OBX?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh look!

Optical 24/7 rode up on his armadillo to join us!
    Ain't this how it always goes?......Fezz with your free stale popcorn Ace Hardware gives out, Johns with his baggie of Ace Hardware popcorn left over from the weekend, and me, with real Movie popcorn!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Ain't this how it always goes?......Fezz with your free stale popcorn Ace Hardware gives out, Johns with his baggie of Ace Hardware popcorn left over from the weekend, and me, with real Movie popcorn!
    Hey! I resemble that comment. I make that popcorn myself. (If you hang around ACE at closing time, they throw out the kernels that didn't pop. Get 'em hot enough...they'll pop.)

Thread Information