Thread: Opticianry Summit Foundation Being Formed to Further Opticianry Efforts

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Opticianry Summit Foundation Being Formed to Further Opticianry Efforts

The Opticianry Summit Steward Team is
    pleased to announce the initial groundwork has begun to form the new Opticianry Summit Foundation. Created to provide a way for others in the optical industry to contribute to the future of opticianry projects, the foundation will serve as the fundraising vehicle to support to the project goal areas created during the May 2012 summit.
    Ed DeGennaro, MEd, ABOM, LDO, will serve as chairman of the organization and an initial board of directors has been named, including:
    •Ed DeGennaro, Chairman
    •Sam Morgenstern, Vice Chairman
    •Wesley Scott, Secretary
    •John Girdler, Treasurer
    •Tom Barracato
    •Dianna Finisecy
    •Tom Hicks
    •Doug Pelkey
    "We know that opticians play a critical role in the delivery of eyewear and eyecare to patient," said DeGennaro. "The project and goals created after the summit, will pave the way for opticians to be optimally suited to deliver the best to their patients. By creating this new foundation, we can allow others in the optical community to contribute to this important effort."
    For the remainder of 2012, the Opticianry Summit Foundation Board of Directors will continue communicating with Summit attendees and the opticianry community at large, as well as develop bylaws, fundraising plans as well as further the projects and goals as identified in the summit. For more information about the Opticianry Summit, visit www.opticianrysummit.com.
    Last edited by Wes; 10-16-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    The Opticianry Summit Steward Team is
    pleased to announce the initial groundwork has begun to form the new Opticianry Summit Foundation. Created to provide a way for others in the optical industry to contribute to the future of opticianry projects, the foundation will serve as the fundraising vehicle to support to the project goal areas created during the May 2012 summit.
    Ed DeGennaro, MEd, ABOM, LDO, will serve as chairman of the organization and an initial board of directors has been named, including:
    •Ed DeGennaro, Chairman
    •Sam Morgenstern, Vice Chairman
    •Wesley Scott, Secretary
    •John Girdler, Treasurer
    •Tom Barracato
    •Dianna Finisecy
    •Tom Hicks
    •Doug Pelkey
    "We know that opticians play a critical role in the delivery of eyewear and eyecare to patient," said DeGennaro. "The project and goals created after the summit, will pave the way for opticians to be optimally suited to deliver the best to their patients. By creating this new foundation, we can allow others in the optical community to contribute to this important effort."
    For the remainder of 2012, the Opticianry Summit Foundation Board of Directors will continue communicating with Summit attendees and the opticianry community at large, as well as develop bylaws, fundraising plans as well as further the projects and goals as identified in the summit. For more information about the Opticianry Summit, visit www.opticianrysummit.com.
    Well, this post references 2012 info (over 2 years old). Has anything else happened? I am so disgusted with opticianry's effort to better the profession.Maybe we should all become on-line retailers, and use a computer to assess our skills for licensing, and a measuring kiosk to do our job. Or, maybe this is just a natural progression of the profession? Hey - who churns butter anymore?
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    Well, this post references 2012 info (over 2 years old). Has anything else happened? I am so disgusted with opticianry's effort to better the profession.Maybe we should all become on-line retailers, an a computer to assess our skills for licensing, and a measuring kiosk to do our job. Or, maybe this is just a natural progression of the profession? Hey - who churns butter anymore?
    It seems that lots of people are disgusted that other people aren't doing enough to improve the profession, while lots of other people are disgusted that other people aren't moving it in their preferred direction, while still more people are disgusted that it's always the same people doing the work. I devoted a lot of my free time to this effort from 2010-2014, but since so many people were disgusted no matter what, I decided to resign and have my free time back. Sorry to keep disgusting all of you who were disgusted. Hopefully I can be less disgusting now that I'm doing nothing to contribute to opticianry in any way. Have a disgusting day.

Did I mention there's a reason I rarely visit Optiboard anymore?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It seems that lots of people are disgusted that other people aren't doing enough to improve the profession, while lots of other people are disgusted that other people aren't moving it in their preferred direction, while still more people are disgusted that it's always the same people doing the work. I devoted a lot of my free time to this effort from 2010-2014, but since so many people were disgusted no matter what, I decided to resign and have my free time back. Sorry to keep disgusting all of you who were disgusted. Hopefully I can be less disgusting now that I'm doing nothing to contribute to opticianry in any way. Have a disgusting day.

Wes - I hate to sound trite... but I feel your pain. I also contributed many years to the organizations that have influence on opticianry, and since 1974 (my first license cycle) I have nor seen one single state obtain licensure. There is no consensus on almost anything. It reminds me of the quote (I think from POGO) - "We have seen the enemy, and it is us!"

Occupation
    I am glad you did not take offense because none was intended towards you personally. I suppose everyone of us needs a break every now and then to recharge. I've been going to school too long and doing too many things. I think they call it burnout.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

If you look at the tone of the post that's "disgusted" you can see a bit more clearly. to quote from the post:

"I am so disgusted with opticianry's effort to better the profession.Maybe we should"

One minute is I am so disgusted with opticianry's efforts (poster not included). Maybe we should (I have a better idea) ...

last we talked my best advice to you and anyone helping is; "what's good for you, F*** the rest". That advice still stands, your much smarter and better off doing your own thing, pursue your own interests. As a great optician you will make strides way beyond working within a group structure that may or may not include the poster and others.

My personal project right now is computing wrap angles into a project of mine using the earths magnetic pole. I call it eco-opticianry, by using the heading from a compass on an Android tablet I can measure the direction of a tablet in relation to magnetic north, using the edge of the tablet against each side of a frames lens I can compute the difference between the angles as the wrap angle. Unfortunately the first version only worked if the measures were taken super fast and the device held very flat, so I am refining the algorithm to incorporate pitch, roll, and yaw into the compass data to stabilize my measurements and compensate the compass for super accurate and repeatable results.

Since I have zero intentions to actually release the device I could care less if anyone wants to take the idea and run with it, but for the most part it's been fun again to be an optician and push the limits like opticians of the past. Your mind works the same, you have solutions but no one wants to hear them so apply them to things you see fit. Apply them on a local level to those close to you, hold those in high regard tight and make sure outsiders remain outsiders. Your the 1% of opticianry, don't hang with the 99% and don't get caught up in the bureaucracy. I am swimming in great ideas with not enough time to finish or even start some projects. Everytime I have talked to you I have gotten the same sense of greatness, so what the rest of the folks don't see greatness. Be the king of Wes'land and let the land of opticianry remain tarnished. If I go on any further I fear I will sound even more crazier than I already do. Call me if I can help, BTW do you know James Moran from facebook? He seems to love your posts and if there is one guy that knows some crazy sh** about me it's that guy.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was informed that Ohio has decided that they no longer need a board of opticianry, but instead will be governed under the optometry board. (??) From what I was told, they are deciding just how few opticians they can have on the board. Who in the national (optical) media is discussing this? The national organizations are talking about the next leadership conference or national meeting, but I haven't heard anything about another state taking opticianry down still even more notches.

I now agree with you Harry. The only thing that's good for you, it what's good for YOU.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I was informed that Ohio has decided that they no longer need a board of opticianry, but instead will be governed under the optometry board. (??) From what I was told, they are deciding just how few opticians they can have on the board. Who in the national (optical) media is discussing this? The national organizations are talking about the next leadership conference or national meeting, but I haven't heard anything about another state taking opticianry down still even more notches.

I now agree with you Harry. The only thing that's good for you, it what's good for YOU.
    Wow, and I search hard for obscure optical news regularly and OH never crossed my desk. Sorry to hear that, hope it works out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns......something needs to be done to try to reverse that now. What can we do to help? Or is it already decided?

Warren

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Wow, and I search hard for obscure optical news regularly and OH never crossed my desk. Sorry to hear that, hope it works out.
    "and another one bites the dust" - I hope that rumor turns out to be just that. Ohio has (had?) a great licensing program.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's no mention of this in the Ohio Board of Optometry's meeting minutes from June. Does the OAO have a legislative committee? Surely they would be aware of this intention?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

The news out of Ohio keeps getting worse, it seems.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    After calling Columbus , I've been assured that the Ohio Board of Opticians isn't going anywhere.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    If you look at the tone of the post that's "disgusted" you can see a bit more clearly. to quote from the post:

"I am so disgusted with opticianry's effort to better the profession.Maybe we should"

One minute is I am so disgusted with opticianry's efforts (poster not included). Maybe we should (I have a better idea) ...

last we talked my best advice to you and anyone helping is; "what's good for you, F*** the rest". That advice still stands, your much smarter and better off doing your own thing, pursue your own interests. As a great optician you will make strides way beyond working within a group structure that may or may not include the poster and others.

My personal project right now is computing wrap angles into a project of mine using the earths magnetic pole. I call it eco-opticianry, by using the heading from a compass on an Android tablet I can measure the direction of a tablet in relation to magnetic north, using the edge of the tablet against each side of a frames lens I can compute the difference between the angles as the wrap angle. Unfortunately the first version only worked if the measures were taken super fast and the device held very flat, so I am refining the algorithm to incorporate pitch, roll, and yaw into the compass data to stabilize my measurements and compensate the compass for super accurate and repeatable results.

Since I have zero intentions to actually release the device I could care less if anyone wants to take the idea and run with it, but for the most part it's been fun again to be an optician and push the limits like opticians of the past. Your mind works the same, you have solutions but no one wants to hear them so apply them to things you see fit. Apply them on a local level to those close to you, hold those in high regard tight and make sure outsiders remain outsiders. Your the 1% of opticianry, don't hang with the 99% and don't get caught up in the bureaucracy. I am swimming in great ideas with not enough time to finish or even start some projects. Everytime I have talked to you I have gotten the same sense of greatness, so what the rest of the folks don't see greatness. Be the king of Wes'land and let the land of opticianry remain tarnished. If I go on any further I fear I will sound even more crazier than I already do. Call me if I can help, BTW do you know James Moran from facebook? He seems to love your posts and if there is one guy that knows some crazy sh** about me it's that guy.

pm sent

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    It's the Ohio Optician Association that's in trouble .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well said Harry.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After communications with several national leaders, I want to assure those here there has been substantial support for Ohio. I am told funds were provided to help the state leadership fight this change in board structure, and it is not expected to succeed. But may I again warn you all that of we do not improve ourselves at some point, the need for a license will be nullified. The chains want to see them gone now, and evidence was clearly seen this past weekend. I was informed by several attending a seminar that their chains do not want them trouble shooting at all, that it is the doctor's job (all Lux employees, by the way)! So remember the next time you see an add for the "un-optical" environment, do not work there, no matter what they pay. But in reality I am thankful that most do not trouble shoot, because they just did not have the ability. Most in the room could not utilize even the simplest formulae. That is not uncommon, folks. I have seen the enemy and it is not the chains, it comes from within.........it is us. It is time the emperor put on some clothes or got off the throne.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah... here we are and another couple of months have passed. No publicized activity. This profession should be ashamed of itself. What ever happened to ORBA? Does it still exist?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah... here we are and another couple of months have passed. No publicized activity. This profession should be ashamed of itself. What ever happened to ORBA? Does it still exist?
    Bu---bu---but we got a video and Randy Jackson said it was good!

Occupation
    "Crabs in a bucket."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Bu---bu---but we got a video and Randy Jackson said it was good!
    And this has what to do with the Opticianry Summit? (Or is it open season on any organization that is trying a new idea - that we didn't contribute to?)

People complain that nothing is done to publicize opticianry as a profession, and when they make an attempt, the snide commentators come out of the woodwork. I was not a part of this promotion, nor am I on any of the boards associated with it. I do however, applaud any attempt at getting the word out about opticianry. From what I hear, there are a lot of new people involved. You know, the people who raised their hands when the rest of us sat on ours. Kudos to them, whatever the results.

I'll step aside now, to make room for all the post that will tell me how much they did in the "early" days, and how little has been done by everyone else since...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does the Opticianry Summit still exist?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Only in the hearts and minds of a very few. The individual optician has never been able to see beyond his own door - always been that way - always will.

Occupation
    As a matter of fact, it does. I had conversations with a couple folks still on it, and the study is nearly complete. More to follow.

Occupation
    The study is complete. For your consideration: http://www.oaa.org/public/uploads/Te...ve_Report1.pdf

Thread Information