Thread: Heterochromia (iridum) on display in Sunday's Tigers vs. Red Sox game

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Heterochromia (iridum) on display in Sunday's Tigers vs. Red Sox game

Detroit Tigers pitcher Max Scherzer is scheduled to pitch against the Boston Red Sox in ALCS Game Two today (Sunday), at 8:00 PM Eastern Time, televised on FOX.

The first time I saw him on TV, I perceived that there was something out of the ordinary about his face, but I didn't realize what it was until it was explained that his right eye is blue and his left eye is brown. The contrast is striking. (See photo, attached.)

Here are some excerpts from a news report that I found online:

He's one in 500. That's what the doctors say. Max Scherzer has heterochromia. His eyes are different colors. His right eye, the blue one, gleams with energy, like a hungry wolf's. The brown eye is the watchful one, deep and refined like a walnut finish, the perfect color to unnerve someone with a stare.

Really, he's just a genetic anomaly . . .

Mom had blue eyes. Dad had blue eyes. Of course Max would.

"He was born with them," said Jan Scherzer, Max's mother. "Then he was 4 months old. I looked down at my baby, and he had a blue and green eye. Very clearly. I have pictures and everything. I took him to the pediatrician shortly after that, and he said, `They may go back and forth. They may change again this year.' As the year went on, the blue eye got bluer, and the green eye changed to brown.

"And it was amazing. That night, on Johnny Carson, the actress Jane Seymour was on. She had different-colored eyes. It was just such a coincidence. She was talking about all the flak she'd taken growing up. She's a beautiful woman. She did OK. We always made a big deal to Max that he was special, that it wasn't something wrong."

In grade school, when Max drew a cat or dog or giraffe, he always chose dissimilar colors for their eyes. On parent-teacher night, Brad and Jan could immediately tell which drawing hanging on the wall was their son's.
    http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-bas...030706aag.html

So, if he ever needs eyeglasses and comes to your dispensary, how do you go about selecting a cosmetically appealing frame for him?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MaxScherzerEyes.jpg  
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-13-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Just get him a heavy black frame

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's very striking and speaking of strikes "Go Scherzer!" Or as we are saying in the "D"...."Game Two, brown and blue!"

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If my memory (and school) serves me correctly your eyes [iris] "color" is determined by the amount of pigmentation (always brown) present behind the iris at birth. As we age, it works its way around from the back of the iris to the front.

If it doesn't you remain blue eyed.

This is why many infants are "blue" or "hazel" eyed and eventually become "hazel" or "brown" eyed.

Oh---Regarding the Red Sox--- Had it all the way!!!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-14-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Detroit Tigers pitcher Max Scherzer is scheduled to pitch against the Boston Red Sox in ALCS Game Two today (Sunday), at 8:00 PM Eastern Time, televised on FOX.

The first time I saw him on TV, I perceived that there was something out of the ordinary about his face, but I didn't realize what it was until it was explained that his right eye is blue and his left eye is brown. The contrast is striking. (See photo, attached.)

Here are some excerpts from a news report that I found online:

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-bas...030706aag.html

So, if he ever needs eyeglasses and comes to your dispensary, how do you go about selecting a cosmetically appealing frame for him?
    My answer to your question would be:

I would dwell on the best cosmetic color of frame suited to his complexion tone, and a design that flatters his facial shape, or draws attention to a feature of his facial lines. The placement and texture of the temple would direct the observer to the upper or lower facial features, as opposed to the eyes. That is, if the patient wished to not draw attention to the iris difference.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    My younger brother is afflicted with the heartbreak of optical heterochromia. We will soon be holding a fundraiser to find a cure for this dreaded scourge and I will keep you all posted. The rarity of this condition, which has caused great consternation among opticians and other eyewear peddlers, may soon come to an end through your generous contributions.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If this baseball thing doesn't work out, just pop a monocle on and cast him as the next Bond villain.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Apparently, heterochromia isn't as unusual as people think. That, or it's very popular. http://omg.yahoo.com/news/eyes-celeb...210000419.html
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

heterchromia

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Apparently, heterochromia isn't as unusual as people think. That, or it's very popular. http://omg.yahoo.com/news/eyes-celeb...210000419.html
    It should also be noticed that whenever you see this blue one eye and the other green in a cat, there always deaf

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post

I must admit that I create a few of these annually(with contact lens fitting)...............I've been told that the advantage is not unlike walking into a nightclub with a puppy in your arms!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shawn Horcoff of the Dallas Stars
    Shwing

Thread Information