Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's dumping Eyemed?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who's dumping Eyemed?

I'm considering it. I don't enjoy being told how to run a business or provide patient care. I got my license so that wouldn't happen.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would love to dump them, but the decision is not up to me. I am in the process of reading the handbook. I love how they say a patient can use their frame benefits for a plano sunglass as long as you take the lenses out of them. Awesome...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are seriously considering it. Have you seen the 2nd pair discounts! 40% off everything!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's great to see comments from people that are relatively new to optiboard (under 100 posts)! Welcome again!

I would like to ask...did the changing landscape of optical prompt you to become more involved/vocal, using Optiboard as a resource?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know of 3 practices that (say they) are dropping Eyemed completely, in a town that has 5 providers. Of course, they say they are, but when push comes to shove, you don't know what they will do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yikes, 40% off of the second pair is a dangerous discount! I try to explain to patients that not all of the manufactures allow this steep of a discount. Oakley and Maui Jim and any others that come with an MSRP. Most patients seem to understand but some don't. What have your experiences been like?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you pick and choose which items you have to discount?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    Can you pick and choose which items you have to discount?
    In my experience, if you carry certain frame lines that have a strict MSRP you are to follow their guide lines on pricing and discounts. Maui Jim and Oakley are perfect examples. Keep in mind that this applies to the straight or "second pair discounts," that you are not claiming any reimbursement for.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Keep in mind, some states, texas for one, recently passed legislation making it illegal for them to force discounts on uncovered items. They say NY has a similar law which would make these discounts unenforceable, even if you signed a contract. Then of course, there is the issue of patients getting upset that you are a provider but don't honor all the discounts of the plan.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have an account who dumped both EyeMed and VSP and they're doing quite nicely.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the warm welcome...really glad to be a part of the OptiBoard team! To answer your question even though I'm a 16 year optician, I didn't post any comments because I felt slightly shy about what to say. I went through various discussion threads just to get an idea of what to speak about or what best related to me. However I do feel more comfortable now and plan to be more involved. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    It's great to see comments from people that are relatively new to optiboard (under 100 posts)! Welcome again!

I would like to ask...did the changing landscape of optical prompt you to become more involved/vocal, using Optiboard as a resource?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Weeks View Post
    However I do feel more comfortable now and plan to be more involved. :)
    Awesome! Glad to have you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Weeks View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome...really glad to be a part of the OptiBoard team! To answer your question even though I'm a 16 year optician, I didn't post any comments because I felt slightly shy about what to say. I went through various discussion threads just to get an idea of what to speak about or what best related to me. However I do feel more comfortable now and plan to be more involved. :)

Welcome Aboard!

I am glad that you are here! Thank you for coming out if the shadows and joining us!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Welcome Aboard!

I am glad that you are here! Thank you for coming out if the shadows and joining us!
    Awesome, thank you!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Never accepted eyemed and never will. It only took 10 years for my fellow practioners to see the light. Now that no one in my area accepts eyemed, the problem has completely went away. My advice is....don't be the last person accepting a crappy plan. You will fill your day with charity work and be working for free.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks! I get a lot of great information from optiboard and try to check in when I can. I work in a busy practice with 2 MDs and 1 OD and I am the only full time optician with very little help, so it's difficult to go online. (I usually see 50+ patients/day)

As for eyemed...the discounts are horrible and the only ones to profit will be luxottica and essilor. That being said, I had an NVA the other day and when I calculated what we got paid for the frame, we only made $1.00. (It was a sunglass order) I think the lenses we made about $40 or so. So, eyemed isn't the only one that is bad. Years ago I was approached by an insurance person who said we needed to mark up all our products 5 times and then give cash paying non-insurance patients a discount. We thought that was nuts... now looking at the numbers...it's no wonder.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office dumped those people 8 years ago. Work became so much more easy with so much less drama.
    Only thing we file for now is Medicare after Sx and then to their supliment for the remaining 20% if they have one. Other then that its all cash check or card for us. There is a God after all.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was just informed the contract has been signed. Should be interesting.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Thanks! I get a lot of great information from optiboard and try to check in when I can. I work in a busy practice with 2 MDs and 1 OD and I am the only full time optician with very little help, so it's difficult to go online. (I usually see 50+ patients/day)

As for eyemed...the discounts are horrible and the only ones to profit will be luxottica and essilor. That being said, I had an NVA the other day and when I calculated what we got paid for the frame, we only made $1.00. (It was a sunglass order) I think the lenses we made about $40 or so. So, eyemed isn't the only one that is bad. Years ago I was approached by an insurance person who said we needed to mark up all our products 5 times and then give cash paying non-insurance patients a discount. We thought that was nuts... now looking at the numbers...it's no wonder.
    Ouch, 5 times, seems extreme, but if it works it might be worth a shot. After 6 years, I finally came up with a system that works with VSP that gives me 2.25 times frame cost. So far it has been working well for the last 8 years. I must say however, that I am looking forward to the day when VSP can only be used with VSP frames at no cost to the member, so I will not have to deal with them.
    Last edited by huskypaul; 10-14-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by huskypaul View Post
    I must say however, that I am looking forward to the day when VSP can only be used with VSP frames at no cost to the member, so I will not have to deal with them.
    Are you serious!!!!??? You want them to take every bit of profit away from you??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you serious!!!!??? You want them to take every bit of profit away from you??
    Agreed! It's like just accepting a small dispense fee and being content with that.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    Agreed! It's like just accepting a small dispense fee and being content with that.
    That's how it is with Spectera for us and it sucks. We only get dispense fees for the frames, because they supply the frame and lenses from their lab. Even though we display and show the frame on our boards we have to use their frame. All we ever get is a dispense fee for frames, lenses and upgrade options. Same thing with contact lenses. I think this insurance is one of the worst for reimbursement.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a lovely sentiment, however, VSP, seems to be moving into that very direction. I give them a few more years before they provide services for VSP owned frames, exclusively. As I see it, It's just a matter of time before the two big boys on the block(VSP/eyemed) start buying out the rest of the competition. Independents may be better off making preparations for the inevitable and start severing the insurance umbilical cord.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by huskypaul View Post
    It's a lovely sentiment, however, VSP, seems to be moving into that very direction. I give them a few more years before they provide services for VSP owned frames, exclusively. As I see it, It's just a matter of time before the two big boys on the block(VSP/eyemed) start buying out the rest of the competition. Independents may be better off making preparations for the inevitable and start severing the insurance umbilical cord.
    But why would you wish for it??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    That's how it is with Spectera for us and it sucks. We only get dispense fees for the frames, because they supply the frame and lenses from their lab. Even though we display and show the frame on our boards we have to use their frame. All we ever get is a dispense fee for frames, lenses and upgrade options. Same thing with contact lenses. I think this insurance is one of the worst for reimbursement.
    Is there a good one? No one makes money on insurance except the insurance companies.

Thread Information