Thread: Country of origin

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Country of origin

I was in Canada this week and came upon lenses from a large distributor who private labels lenses, and found lenses where there was no country of origin listed on either the package or the label. Doesn't Canada have requirements for country of origin, even if lenses are repackaged in the country? Even if it's not illegal (which I suspect it would be due to duties, customs, etc.), wouldn't you want to know where your lenses are being made so that you can make an informed decision?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was importing frames on a monthly bases (into the US from Korea), it wasn't uncommon to get a call from customs at the airport, and I'd have to go down with a roll of "Made in Korea" stickers to put on the demo lenses. After an hour or so, the agent would let us take them back to the office to finish the job, presumably because we were in the way down at the customs center. There was no follow up to see if we completed the task.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have cleared shipments into Canada for years - non optical products. The paperwork must indicate country of origin and IF customs decides to inspect my shipment, the product / packaging must match the paperwork. This is to make sure the correct duty is being claimed.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We export a lot of our products and it is a rule that all the countries we ship to, require the country of origin be on the label. We always have some large
    distributors in the USA that order some of our products and supply their own labels. It happens once in a while that they forget to print "Made in Canada"
    behind their own name and we can not bring the goods over the US border. So they have to re-make the labels.

Thread Information