Thread: It begins

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just ewwwwwwwwwwww

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    otis does his best work in the morning. Piper is simply too rowdy to be very productive.
    lmao!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    Dr K, did VSP send you a letter or an e-mail letting you know that you were lucky enough to be part of this program?? in our area we take care of most of the VSP clients, i think one other dr here takes it, so i'm suprised we haven't heard anything about this yet.
    According to VSP this program is regional and not available in all states at this time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just got our letter today. Don't think this will be happening at this practice, I can't see a pro versus the big con. Incidentally, what ever happened to Sight for Students? Wasn't that a similar set up? I think the only difference is that SFS required vouchers, or maybe this does too?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The only pro is that you will be "listed" as having Otis and Piper on VSP's website, for those gullible members that want their free glasses.

It's consigned, so you really don't have to display them. That much. That well. If you have better stuff, you just show that.

Maybe you do show them, for shock value!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    The only pro is that you will be "listed" as having Otis and Piper on VSP's website, for those gullible members that want their free glasses.

It's consigned, so you really don't have to display them. That much. That well. If you have better stuff, you just show that.

I can envision the scene in my head already:

Patient's parent: "Is this all that there is? Just these frames?"

Me:"Yes Sir/Ma'am, these are the frames covered by your plan."

Patient's Parent: "How much you charge for those Guccis? No my precious princess doesn't need that extra polycarbonate stuff, too expensive..."

Yeah, no thanks. I worked in Medicaid office once before. Nothing like people getting angry at you personally because they have limited *free* choices.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

If you look at the Elements fee schedule (because it's even on my VSP online account even though I haven't gotten the letter) there is no entry for supplying your own frame all it has is: "Frame You won’t receive separate payment for the frame. The frame is supplied by VSPOne –Columbus. You’ll receive a combined dispensing fee of $XX for lenses and frame as noted above." So it looks like the patient has 2 choices: getting one of the Otis frames or being completely out of network.
    Last edited by jpways; 10-28-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: removed the number

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't heard anything about it yet, but being in the Midwest, I love the "Otis" part of the line...

Red, red, red, red, red, red neck....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by stan tabor View Post
    this is the design team for the otis & piper frame line:

that's quite offensive to both of these men.....

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Will this further a fee for service's provided future?

Would you be allowed to charge $10 to realign juniors bent glasses (every time!)?

"Plan covered glasses are discounted and require a small charge for any future services like new nose pads or adjustments post dispensing."
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-28-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    We just got our letter today. Don't think this will be happening at this practice, I can't see a pro versus the big con. Incidentally, what ever happened to Sight for Students? Wasn't that a similar set up? I think the only difference is that SFS required vouchers, or maybe this does too?
    SFS requires that you carry the Altair product, from what the lovely Anne at their customer service center told me. I was asked at that time if I was interested in seeing their rep as I did not yet carry their product. I told the lovely Anne,to refer back to my response to Ottis-Piper.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Would you be allowed to charge $10 to realign juniors bent glasses (every time!)?

"Plan covered glasses are discounted and require a small charge for any future services like new nose pads or adjustments post dispensing."
    This is an important point.

If you use your own frame lines, and the "allowance" isn't obnoxious, you can provide included frame adjustments with the purchase of the frame.

If the frame line is "supplied" for an obscenely-low dispensing fee, then, yeah, you adjust it at dispensing, and charge a la carte for adjustments. We're considering instituting a $5/adjustment fee for this.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I haven't heard anything about it yet, but being in the Midwest, I love the "Otis" part of the line...

Red, red, red, red, red, red neck....
    I think they should dig up Chip Anderson to be the spokesmodel.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The potential problems with this situation include client confusion...no matter how carefully it is explained. They'll want to blame the messenger.

B

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is my first post on this forum and I want to thank you guys for the info. Our letter just came today and we were given til October 29 to opt out. If I hadn't been reading this thread I never would have known as much about the topic and would have had had to research on my own with a very tight timeline. Of course we opted out. Thanks again!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The potential problems with this situation include client confusion...no matter how carefully it is explained. They'll want to blame the messenger.

B
    I agree with you Barry. Even though while practicing in Ontario and not having to deal with this insurance issue, in the customer's mind he got the glasses from ABC Optical and won't understand about being the middleman and the optician only receiving a dispensing fee. Btw how are you able to sign off on your post two columns below your last text?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B
    Exactly! The only thing the customer will remember is that you tried to nickle/dime them. They'll NEVER remember that you had permission from the insurance company to do so.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On phone with VSP now. Sounds like we can opt out of carrying the frames in store, but we CANNOT opt out of the elements program itself. Since elements (spit) is carried across Signature, Choice, and Advantage, we cannot opt out without opting out of all Signature, all Choice, and all Advantage. If you don't carry the frames in store, you still CANNOT turn patients away. Instead, they can choose from VSP's website page, and you must still service the patient at a loss.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B
    If they don't understand a simple fee for service charge than do you really care if they stay or go?

I wouldn't.

And if most everyone starts charging for it...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead Daddy View Post
    On phone with VSP now. Sounds like we can opt out of carrying the frames in store, but we CANNOT opt out of the elements program itself. Since elements (spit) is carried across Signature, Choice, and Advantage, we cannot opt out without opting out of all Signature, all Choice, and all Advantage. If you don't carry the frames in store, you still CANNOT turn patients away. Instead, they can choose from VSP's website page, and you must still service the patient at a loss.
    Don't make it so difficult, simply state that you don't carry the frames in the program and they need to find an optical that does.....

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get your point. However, saying that they "need" to find an optical that does is clearly "turning away" the patient. Most providers will probably do as you suggested. But some might not want to risk the consequences of "turning away" a VSP patient. Either way, don't send them to us, because we won't be carrying the line.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am unaware of the historical date in our illustrious profession when services fees became a taboo. Perhaps it was when managed care came onto the scene. To charge or not to charge. When did the day come when the public was led to believe that servicing a frame was done so at no charge to them. I do not consider myself a messenger for any insurance company, but I get the gist. It is common in most countries throughout the world. The exception of course being the U.S. When I backpacked across Europe it was common to pay 10pds, francs, etc, and it is done today;only the currency has changed. Times, they are a changing and perhaps the public should be made aware.
    Last edited by huskypaul; 10-28-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead Daddy View Post
    I get your point. However, saying that they "need" to find an optical that does is clearly "turning away" the patient. Most providers will probably do as you suggested. But some might not want to risk the consequences of "turning away" a VSP patient. Either way, don't send them to us, because we won't be carrying the line.
    I hear ya, as an example, we don't keep Altair in our Office and therefore "turn away the VSP voucher program" patients. Turning away patient's is not how we see it.

Barry and others have spoken about how your office ends up looking like the bad guy when these people figure out that their VCP sux.....I'd rather just not mess with it all. Don't need to bottom feed that much.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awesome! I think he held the Intercontinental title belt at one time!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they don't understand a simple fee for service charge than do you really care if they stay or go?

I wouldn't.

And if most everyone starts charging for it...

I used to to own a Porsche. And the dealership's service manager Gene, became my friend.

And he used to say his job sucked because (pointing toward the showroom)

"There lies their dream."

(And now, pointing to his desk)

"But here lies the reality"

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 10-29-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Thread Information