View Poll Results: Should Political Posts be allowed on OptiBoard?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • No longer allow political posts on OptiBoard

50 42.74%
  • Allow political posts in one forum for members in publicly joinable group.

53 45.30%
  • Allow political posts in one forum and require an OptiBoard subscription, i.e., Pay to Play.

14 11.97%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Political Posts - Should they go or should they stay?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Don't deal with them. Just warn them, then cut them out. Don't explain yourself. Just cite the rules and blow them off...but I am not in your shoes.
    Good in theory. Then I get all sorts of people going everywhere they can to complain about how 'unfair' I am. And I also get messages telling me that my 'overhanded' moderation has killed OptiBoard for them. Again, if I wanted to continue the same way than I wouldn't have even started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    i'll be honest, i'm cruising the board a lot more and finding a lot of useful threads now that the political ones seem to have "stopped"
    Me too. And I have yet to hear a compelling reason why OptiBoard should allow the political trolls and ideologues to poison the well for the rest of us.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    As a case in point, Steve, a thread from 12 years ago was just resurrected in the 'Just Conversation' forum. Looks like an invitation to blow things up.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I deliberately have avoided Optiboard for a while simply due to some of the vitriolic Ad Homenem <sp> attacks that I have seen over political things. I realize that personal life and working life is influenced by politics but, I have wanted this to be a civil place where intelligent debate and advice could be had, the political stuff doesn't belong IMHO.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by davelp View Post
    I deliberately have avoided Optiboard for a while simply due to some of the vitriolic Ad Homenem <sp> attacks that I have seen over political things. I realize that personal life and working life is influenced by politics but, I have wanted this to be a civil place where intelligent debate and advice could be had, the political stuff doesn't belong IMHO.
    You have avoided OptiBoard because of the "Just Conversation" section?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    You have avoided OptiBoard because of the "Just Conversation" section?
    As you well know, the vitriol was not limited to the Just Conversation forum. For some people this appears to be a way of life.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    This is still called Opti Board, so keep the discussions related to optics. If I want to hear political views I can turn on the radio and hear them all day long

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    As you well know, the vitriol was not limited to the Just Conversation forum. For some people this appears to be a way of life.
    Indeed, it was getting to the point where almost any post on any forum was likely to make you a victim of attacks., I'm with Don.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Well I believe that any talk outside optics should be contained in the "just Conversation" forum. I think people here should be able to handle that if they know the rules.

With that being said, the regular forums should be for Optics Only...period!!

I dont understand why people feel the need to attack somebody else for asking an optical question. In my book no questions are dumb. If a person needs help with something, they are asking for a reason. The attackers should either answer the question, or stay silent.

Oh and Steve I have to say I was wrong about something and must make a correction. I once told you OptiBoard was dying, I was way wrong, Over 5000 people online in early October. Thats a heck of alot of people online at one time. Congratz, you are doing a great service for the Optical community and deserve some kudos

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    Oh and Steve I have to say I was wrong about something and must make a correction. I once told you OptiBoard was dying, I was way wrong, Over 5000 people online in early October. Thats a heck of alot of people online at one time. Congratz, you are doing a great service for the Optical community and deserve some kudos
    Thanks.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    This is still called Opti Board, so keep the discussions related to optics. If I want to hear political views I can turn on the radio and hear them all day long
    Talking about the latest progressive lens product, experiences with frame lines, etc. are one thing. They are clearly related to optics.

But what about topics like giving out PDs? Vision insurance? Essilor buying everyone? Whether opticians need to be certified? Throw one of these topics out there and the board lights up and ultimately arguments and insults begin. But do these topics have anything to do with optical? Yes, I believe they are relevant issues for anyone in the business. However, I find it frustrating when people are put down for their legitimate views or accused of things not at all relevant to the topic. I have found that when I acknowledge the fact that there are very few hard and true black and white facts in this business, I can accept other's points of view even if I do not agree with them. Sometimes you have to think gray, not black and white.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The reason I come to this board is to peruse the expertise of the opticians and OD's who post here. I have learned a lot and I have shared what I have experienced AS AN OPTICIAN on this board. I go to political boards to express my political views, I don't need to express them here. It is the WRONG forum to do so. I am a card carrying member of the Liberal Wing of the Democratic Wing of the Democratic party ... what does that have to do with Opticianry? Nothing! The rules of optics don't change just because someone is from the left or right or belongs to this religion or that. No political entries. Believe me, from being on numerious political boards, it leads to mudslinging and usually entrenches itself in meaningless rhetoric.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it were so easy to seperate political views from your profession this thread would not be a concern. It would never cross over into the threads here. If you would like to keep it completely free from opinion or political thought, ban posting. Simply put a copy of Darryl's brilliant Opticampus segment up and forbid people to speak their mind. If this is too extreme, please recognize and exercise your God given right to simply abstain from conversations that have become too charged for the fragility of your ego. I do not envy the moderators here - it is their job to steer conversations back to optical concerns. And they do mightily stray. But it is not realistic that a health care field in this day and age would be completely detached from politics. And if Optiboard is to remove itself from what is realistic - what is the sense. So please - show a bit of discresion, thicken your skin a bit, leave mindless vitriol to the mindless and God bless our moderators for refereeing difficult subjects. But most of all - don't collect anvils if you live in a glass house.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started coming to optiboard because it was a place to learn some stuff and it was a social online environment where I could be amongst others who can relate to how insane life as an optician can be. I am certainly not at the top of my game, and I come here first if I have questions concerning opticianry, but I enjoy most the silly threads, optical and non optical. I mean the first time I ever posted was the 'other uses for a pd stick' thread!!! (I said a shank)
    I personally don't have much problem with political threads. I even enjoy some of the back and forth (admittedly in the same way some can't look away from a car wreck). However, being the non-confrontational person that I am, I find it amazing that people act as d-baggy as they do, even hiding behind an online name, when things get really heated though.
    I think it's so sad that you even have to deal with this issue Steve. I guess since this is your baby, you should do whatever makes your life easier. Or have a one warning rule and then kick out all the jack holes that misbehave. It would make me sad if we limited OB to optics only, because I've made so many friends here, and honestly talk about my optical friends all the time, and I don't think it would be as cool if limited to general optics conversation. But you should do what you feel is best for you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    If it were so easy to seperate political views from your profession this thread would not be a concern. It would never cross over into the threads here. If you would like to keep it completely free from opinion or political thought, ban posting. Simply put a copy of Darryl's brilliant Opticampus segment up and forbid people to speak their mind. If this is too extreme, please recognize and exercise your God given right to simply abstain from conversations that have become too charged for the fragility of your ego. I do not envy the moderators here - it is their job to steer conversations back to optical concerns. And they do mightily stray. But it is not realistic that a health care field in this day and age would be completely detached from politics. And if Optiboard is to remove itself from what is realistic - what is the sense. So please - show a bit of discresion, thicken your skin a bit, leave mindless vitriol to the mindless and God bless our moderators for refereeing difficult subjects. But most of all - don't collect anvils if you live in a glass house.

Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I started coming to optiboard because it was a place to learn some stuff and it was a social online environment where I could be amongst others who can relate to how insane life as an optician can be.....I personally don't have much problem with political threads. I even enjoy some of the back and forth (admittedly in the same way some can't look away from a car wreck). However, being the non-confrontational person that I am, I find it amazing that people act as d-baggy as they do, even hiding behind an online name, when things get really heated though.
    Yes and yes.

I've used the internet for more than half of my life. When I see a controversial topic posted on Facebook or on a news site I usually steer clear of the comment section just because I know that I'll only end up annoyed. It seems like 90% of the online community likes to think "I'm invisible I can do/say what I want" which results in poorly written, often vitrolic diatribes that don't offer anything constructive to the conversation. As mouthy as I am in "real life" I try not to type anything I wouldn't be comfortable saying to someone's face and I suggest some of my fellow Optiboarders do the same.

I don't often join in the political "conversations" here because it's never about the ideaology but more about the p1ssing match; who can get the nastiest dig in. I have yet to see anyone type, "You know, I never thought about it that way, I concede you could be right".
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I don't often join in the political "conversations" here because it's never about the ideaology but more about the p1ssing match; who can get the nastiest dig in. I have yet to see anyone type, "You know, I never thought about it that way, I concede you could be right".
    Exactly right. I have even made that point before. No one is convincing anyone else with their political comments. It's all just a 'p1ssing match' as you say.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's hardly only Optiboard's problem.

Isn't this society today, though, what with our own news channels reporting our own news and own facts? Plus our own politicians with their own reality?

To take it to the root cause, we have essentially two "worldviews" dominant in the West today and they are diametrically opposed on many--if not most--issues.

Succinctly put, half this world thinks the other half is literally crazy. There's no working with "crazies". What universe are they living in?

I think the solution is for one side to demonize the other. Then it will be easier to exterminate them, then there would be no problems with people getting along. If not extermination, just lock them away and throw away the key.

Occupation
    All true drk. Honestly, political posts add absolutely nothing of value to OptiBoard and are the major cause of complaints about the site and the reason many people have told me this place in 'unfriendly'. I have yet to hear one good reason to allow political posts on OptiBoard.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I hope that we can decide that we are all of the same something (nation, community of mankind, whatever) and, while never sacrificing something important to ourselves, at least have a fundamental respect for others to have a different viewpoint without dehumanizing or de-legitimizing them.

Hey, we can and should try to convince others if the matter is important. But with kindness and honesty.

I'm sure I'm guilty as charged on that count.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I hope that we can decide that we are all of the same something.
    A jet all the way from my first cigarette to my last dying day.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    It's hardly only Optiboard's problem.

Isn't this society today, though, what with our own news channels reporting our own news and own facts? Plus our own politicians with their own reality?

To take it to the root cause, we have essentially two "worldviews" dominant in the West today and they are diametrically opposed on many--if not most--issues.

Succinctly put, half this world thinks the other half is literally crazy. There's no working with "crazies". What universe are they living in?
    A-freaking-men.

I have things I believe strongly in, but not at the expense of my relationships, even if they are simply cyber-friendships. I don't even believe people are "wrong" per se, they just don't see the problem or the issue through the same lens that I do. We as a country could use a big dose of empathy and humility- BOTH SIDES.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found this to be true for any and all public forums. Not just optiboard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrong.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	10627
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

politics

steve, this is a no brainer, only 42 people at the most want to keep this garbage alive, you going to allow 42 people out of the thousands of members ruin the board. Get rid of it once and for all.

OptiBoard Apprentice lightbender27's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    /\ Everything he said...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Where would something like this fall in the spectrum of political posts?

http://theeyewearblog.com/pop-art-ge...rd-sunglasses/

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Where would something like this fall in the spectrum of political posts?

http://theeyewearblog.com/pop-art-ge...rd-sunglasses/
    Probably fine until someone like me throws a snowball by saying I didn't know he was a world class pastry chef which escalates into a rock fight because someone takes it the wrong way (and doesn't get the joke and pun by knowing the significance of the blue white and red collar) and we're off!!!

I miss the controversial threads as the board becomes boring imo and don't get why if you don't like a political thread you can't just ignore it or block it if it bothers you that much.

Thread Information