Thread: Need some advice on taking the ABO in November 2013

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Need some advice on taking the ABO in November 2013

Hey everyone... I'm scheduled to take the ABO November 2013. I'm extremely nervous because I'm not completely grasping the concept of prisms and a few other things. I have worked in the optical/ophthalmic field since 2004 and have done literally everything. Reception, billing, sales, dispensing, lab work, bookkeeping, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic diagnosis testing, surgical coordination and a little more. Now I'm sure I'll do ok I'm just curious to know can someone give me some kind of idea or breakdown on what I should focus on when it comes to studying for the test? I've found that I have most trouble with prisms, ocular anatomy, and light waves. Are there many questions on prism? Ocular anatomy? Light waves? If anyone can give me any information or websites I can use as reference that will be amazing. I've found that many places online sell material but I can't afford it at the moment due to recent drastic financial change. It's very important that I pass the ABO so I can take the Practical in 2014. Thank you so very much in advance for any advice, information, or study tools you can help me with

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The courses that will be presented by NAO in Orlando next weekend for ABO review will be the following:
    The Basics of Light, Refraction & Reflection
    Prism & Characteristics of Lenses
    Optical Math Formulas
    Basic Refractive Status of the Eye
    Basic Measurements of Eyewear
    Frame Materials, Selection & Adjustment

Basic Refractive Status of the Eye will include some anatomy.

The onsite courses are sold out, but the webinars are still available for registration. Good opportunity. In addition, NCLE courses will be offered as well.

All courses will also be offered for CE Credit.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane; 10-07-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: comma
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Leti View Post
    Hey everyone... I'm scheduled to take the ABO November 2013....I have worked in the optical/ophthalmic field since 2004 and have done literally everything. Reception, billing, sales, dispensing, lab work, bookkeeping, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic diagnosis testing, surgical coordination and a little more....
    Thats great that you have a comprehensive view of how a practice works but I'm afraid it will be cold comfort to you on your test. PM me your email, I've got some study material I can email you.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane, where can I sign up for the webinar? How much is it? Normally the price wouldn't be an issue but my husband recently lost his job :( I would like to register for it if I feel I can afford it thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane, where can I sign up for the webinar? How much is it? Normally the price wouldn't be an issue but my husband recently lost his job :( I would like to register for it if I feel I can afford it thanks
    Call NAO at 1-800-229-4828.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Leti, check your inbox. Also, check out this link: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...762#post468762

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Thats great that you have a comprehensive view of how a practice works but I'm afraid it will be cold comfort to you on your test. PM me your email, I've got some study material I can email you.
    I hear she has some awesome material!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of my apprentices will be taking the webinar in. I don't think it was that expensive, and I KNOW it was a lot less than going to Fla. for the weekend.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm definitely going to look into the webinar! I'm super excited about finally getting my license I didn't even know that there was licensing for Optiianry until I was already in the field for a few years and even after that it was so difficult to find someone willing to sponsor me. I love this field! I'm passionate about what I do and have been blessed to be able to do what I love. And all of you have amazing in giving me advice, links, and suggestions! Thanks again!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    *Opticianry lol that's what I get for trying to speed type while I'm doing a Visual Field on a patient lol

Thread Information