Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade? or Profession?

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question Trade? or Profession?

With all the optical marketplace changes today, has there been a shift in how opticians view themselves and how others percieve opticians? Is opticianry a trade, profession, or something else?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For me, I kinda fell into the eyecare field because someone got me a job working with an OD while hubby was in school. I felt like I found my "calling" helping people. In the 20+ years since then I have worked in many offices in TN, NC, AL and GA. I went on to get my ABO, NCLE and Georgia LDO in the past 5 years. I love what I do. It is a career for me, a profession for which I still feel a passion and I am thankful for that.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is a professional trade.

Most of us are highly trained, have high standards and work in a professional environment. Most of us dispense medical devices...contacts, ophthalmic lenses, and frames. (profession)

We also work with our hands, and often are involved in light manufacturing. (trade)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Most of us are highly trained, have high standards and work in a professional environment. Most of us dispense medical devices...contacts, ophthalmic lenses, and frames. (profession)

We also work with our hands, and often are involved in light manufacturing. (trade)
    Yup, nailed it. This is exactly how I feel. I'm proud that I work with my hands. I cook, I sew, I paint, I make glasses. I consider myself pretty skilled at them all. For all the uncertainty swirling around our professional trade, I am still glad I have had the opportunity to be an Optician- it's led me to have a great respect for all craftsmen of all different trades. I know I would be miserable if I was stuck in a cubicle creating TPS reports.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow, Johns, that's a great description.

I gotta say, if opticianry doesn't survive, nobody is going to know how to correct vision. I kid you not: I was in Cleveland OH for a big optometric conference, and there is nothing but medical care, medical care, medical care.

I can't stress enough how important it is to our country that we have people who understand optics, can apply optics, can fabricate glasses, etc. IT WILL NOT COME FROM OPTOMETRY.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

It is a professional trade.............................

I fully agree with that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But the problem is most Opticians do not understand optics at all. It is measure a PD, take a Seg Height, and take the money. Ask the majority of Opticians to find the approximate power of a lens in a given meridian and they cannot. My colleague, Roy Ferguson has more specific data on things Opticians cannot do on state board licensing exams and it is stunning. The problem with this field is the lack of education and training, and a lack of consistent definition of what an Optician is across the country. It is about more than making pretty glasses.......at least in my mind........but I suspect in most, that is about it. The field should have taken professional shape, in my opinion, but the way it is now, it is not even a standardized trade across the country. It is just a hidge-podge of people grouped together by a similar title. It is a shame we have degraded this much. Most who enter the field are like the lady in Georgia above who found a job. No real preparation needed, it seems, and that is the mistake we have made. Until folks have to pay some dues to enter this field, and we make it worth their while to do so, we will continue to spiral downward as a field.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    But the problem is most Opticians do not understand optics at all. It is measure a PD, take a Seg Height, and take the money. Ask the majority of Opticians to find the approximate power of a lens in a given meridian and they cannot. My colleague, Roy Ferguson has more specific data on things Opticians cannot do on state board licensing exams and it is stunning. The problem with this field is the lack of education and training, and a lack of consistent definition of what an Optician is across the country. It is about more than making pretty glasses.......at least in my mind........but I suspect in most, that is about it. The field should have taken professional shape, in my opinion, but the way it is now, it is not even a standardized trade across the country. It is just a hidge-podge of people grouped together by a similar title. It is a shame we have degraded this much. Most who enter the field are like the lady in Georgia above who found a job. No real preparation needed, it seems, and that is the mistake we have made. Until folks have to pay some dues to enter this field, and we make it worth their while to do so, we will continue to spiral downward as a field.

I agree with this too. Wholeheartedly.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was in High School a gas furnace exploded in my face burning my corneas. I spent a week with both eyes patched so I learned a little bit about how the blind live. That is what sparked my interest in "optical" of some kind.
    I went to college to learn this stuff and of course sat for all the national and state exams more then thirty years ago. So for me it was not by accident that I fell into this field (well maybe it was) but I made a conscious decision to jump into it. I took it on as a Professional trade, careerer not a "job".
    What I have found over the years is that you can learn as much about this profession as you want, learn all the formulas of math that there is. But if you do not use those formulas on a regular basis you will forget them. Then to understand them again you must go look them up and refresh yourself.
    The only ones who use most all the formulas and remember most of the In's and outs of the optical world are the educators of the field. Just how much of a demand is there for those type of people in this field? How often have you shared the formulas and how they work with the general public........most of the public could care less. All they want to do is see and don't care how it happens.
    I'm just saying there is book knowledge that is learned and then forgotten because of lack of use. Then there is practical knowledge that is learned and retained because it is used every day. I dare say that everyone of us who have been around a while have on occasion stood in place with that "deer in the headlights look" or that "senior moment" because we could not recall the information off the top of our head. That does not mean that we are stupid Opticians that just means that there are many different sides of the profession. I have yet to ever find anyone who uses all of them every day.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Any chance optometry schools and colleges (yes, the enemah) can get involved in optician training?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Any chance optometry schools and colleges (yes, the enemah) can get involved in optician training?

That would be fantastic. I understand what some say about "book learning" vesus "experience" but I would like a nice certificate on the wall that holds a little more clout than my ABO. Even after over a decade of optical work I would gladly go back to college and finish a degree if I had to, instead of being an Art school dropout. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As usual, I gotta say Right on Johns! There are many things in this thread to agree with or disagree with. Education, Yes! College Education, maybe. University education, no. Let me briefly say why on the last point. I don't think consumers are willing to pay for it. If they were, there would not exist the world of online eyewear. I wish I could go along with you wmcdonald, I just don't see it as a reality with the costs involved.

My two cents to the original poster, Karlen, I believe we are a Professional Trade, just as Johns described it. For Now AnyHow. As to how Opticians are percieved, that is a many sided facet. I don't think it is consistent even amongst ourselves let alone the general public. Wmcdonald describes this very well, and has a great solution, just not what I believe is a realistic solution. I'd be curious to your thoughts as you have posed an interesting question.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the state of Washington, we can not call ourselves an optician until we sit before a state board and pass a comprehensive exam. It is Washington state that defines me as an optician. What would you define an RN as; trade or profession. To obtain my degree in opticianry, I was required to put the same amount of time in school that an RN degree requires. I consider nursing to be a profession, why would I consider what I do for a living to be anything less. Profession

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by huskypaul View Post
    In the state of Washington, we can not call ourselves an optician until we sit before a state board and pass a comprehensive exam. It is Washington state that defines me as an optician. What would you define an RN as; trade or profession. To obtain my degree in opticianry, I was required to put the same amount of time in school that an RN degree requires. I consider nursing to be a profession, why would I consider what I do for a living to be anything less. Profession
    You don't have to square it with any here per se.

But the majority of US state legislatures, and the internet completely disagree with you.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Sorta reminds me of an arguement going on now in town. A final judgement has yet to be reached after many meetings.
    See: http://www.aikenstandard.com/article...SEARCH&slId=19

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    You don't have to square it with any here per se.

But the majority of US state legislatures, and the internet completely disagree with you.
    That is the problem within the USA, Washington is a licensed state. There is no national standard for opticianry. Each state has their own criteria. As to how the internet defines me, its an inanimate object and does not collect an annual fee from me in exchange for my license renewal.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    When I was in High School a gas furnace exploded in my face burning my corneas. I spent a week with both eyes patched so I learned a little bit about how the blind live. That is what sparked my interest in "optical" of some kind.
    I went to college to learn this stuff and of course sat for all the national and state exams more then thirty years ago. So for me it was not by accident that I fell into this field (well maybe it was) but I made a conscious decision to jump into it. I took it on as a Professional trade, careerer not a "job".
    What I have found over the years is that you can learn as much about this profession as you want, learn all the formulas of math that there is. But if you do not use those formulas on a regular basis you will forget them. Then to understand them again you must go look them up and refresh yourself.
    The only ones who use most all the formulas and remember most of the In's and outs of the optical world are the educators of the field. Just how much of a demand is there for those type of people in this field? How often have you shared the formulas and how they work with the general public........most of the public could care less. All they want to do is see and don't care how it happens.
    I'm just saying there is book knowledge that is learned and then forgotten because of lack of use. Then there is practical knowledge that is learned and retained because it is used every day. I dare say that everyone of us who have been around a while have on occasion stood in place with that "deer in the headlights look" or that "senior moment" because we could not recall the information off the top of our head. That does not mean that we are stupid Opticians that just means that there are many different sides of the profession. I have yet to ever find anyone who uses all of them every day.
    You made a choice. I was not talking about YOU! I was describing the majority who did nothing in the 27 states that require a pulse to do what you trained to do. You paid your dues. What you just said in your post is that it takes so little to do what we do we should never learn it in the first place, so why bother? Opticians must have some basis for their existence, and you cannot have it both ways. Either it is a worthy field of endeavor or it is not? If it is, then it should require some level of education and training to analyze Rxs, and do the more complicated things we can do. Unfortunately most can not. Someone comes to you with a problem with an Rx, and I am sure you at least have some idea, where most just guss. I am just at a loss to understand what the hell your post has to do with the train of thought. My opinion is clear......Opticians need to be better educated and trained. If you disagree, then fine. More power to you, but I simply have no idea from your post.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One school I know of in theSouth had an interest, but nothing came of it. It is a natural fit, and would be a worthy endeavor. Indiana has an Optician/Technician program accredited by the COA and was a good one at one time, and I think stll exists.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 10-07-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Exactly right Uilleann! Unfortunate as it is.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just so there no confusion, I believe the "highly trained" part of the equation should be formal education. Geometric optics, anatomy and physiology, contact lens theory and fitting, and other relevant subjects were all covered (and mastered) before I got involved in the trade portion of the field. I wouldn't have done it any other way. Nothing against anyone that learned OJT, but it wouldn't have worked for me.

Although I sat for and passed the state of Florida exam, I am now in a state (Ohio) that currently uses an apprentice approach. I am not a fan of apprenticing, but at the very least, I have suggested to the board, and will continue to push for, a law that would require an applicant to pass the ABO BEFORE they could begin their apprenticeship. The way it is now, they've got the cart before the horse.

Take a month or two, learn the theory, pass the (very) basic ABO test, and THEN begin the journey of becoming an optician.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Formal classroom education should be required. We aren't truly professionals without a degree being required. All states would have to be the same and there couldn't be so many ways around the law- only one licensed per shift, working under the DR's license etc....too many untrained "sales" people making us look bad every day. allowing people with little to no training to do our job makes us all just sales people, the average person does not know the difference- even the untrained sales people don't know the difference, they go through the corporate video training learn how to sell the products corporate deems most profitable and think they know what they are doing. What I witness every day makes me sad and angry. It's. so far from opticianry, I don't really know what it is.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't get into it, though I wish I could. But reality is far too clear. They are selling glasses on the internet and disposing with opticianry altogether. It is my solid wish that these estimations presented here are realistic, but I feel foolish about it everytime Coastal's advertisement crosses my computer screen. I believe that what I have learned in my career is useful and valueable but I wonder if rotary phone mechanics felt the same way. And before the lectures start, nobody hopes I'm wrong more than me. The price of a pair of glasses isn't the only thing that has gotten cheap.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We should talk. I was talking about this just last week.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sigh...here we go again.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Can't get into it, though I wish I could. But reality is far too clear. They are selling glasses on the internet and disposing with opticianry altogether. It is my solid wish that these estimations presented here are realistic, but I feel foolish about it everytime Coastal's advertisement crosses my computer screen. I believe that what I have learned in my career is useful and valueable but I wonder if rotary phone mechanics felt the same way. And before the lectures start, nobody hopes I'm wrong more than me. The price of a pair of glasses isn't the only thing that has gotten cheap.
    1. Their will always be "them" and "us". I am sticking with the "us" team.

2. I don't feel foolish when I see low prices on my computer screen. Of course, if I were buying glasses online, I would feel foolish, unless I got lucky and the Rx was correct, the frames fit, and everything was in alignment.

3. If you were working on rotary phones, hopefully you'd be retired by now, but if not, I would hope that you'd have kept up with the times, and were now working in the IT department. How many mechanics only work on car that have carburetors? Yes, if someone hasn't picked up a book or taken classes since they became an optician, then their career most likely does lack value, and it is devaluing the careers of those they work with, as the workplace is often judged by the lowest denominator.

Thread Information