Thread: The Chinese are coming to the USA ...................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The Chinese are coming to the USA ...................

Yesterday I had a long talk on the phone with a customer in China who recently started to use fairly large quantities of our optical lens
    dyes.

I was told that their economy is suffering and the government also makes it hard for them in many ways. He also told me that in 2 years from now they, will open a factory in San Diego to take care of the North American market.

I am wondering if this could be a new general trend and if we soon will be able to purchase Chinese products made in the USA and Canada. What do you say ?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that the trend is away from China and if raw material costs are close and the process is not labor intensive there is a market in the US and Canada. It is impossible to get consistent quality out of China and that is apparent to anyone who has tried.
    As long as any business focuses on their niche, there is no reason it cannot be done anywhere.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If they are made in the USA, they are not Chinese products.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    No different than Honda, Toyota and Hyundai made in the USA!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think thats great news. Will put some money back in our economy.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're a fan of Smithfield brand products, especially around Thanksgiving, thank the Chinese firm that just purchased them. Personally, I'll stick with Edwards, still family owned in Surry, VA.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    After spending years in China, involved in shoes, optical , luggage/leather, paper mill, bicycle manufacturing. I can fairly conclude Chinese may only take a tiny market share even they plan to set to 100+ of labs in the North America: 1. Purchase material from various supply channels. Chinese factories don't buy material just from one supplier. Instead, they would buy material from different sources from USA, Korea, Japan or European countries where ever they can get good deal at the time and causing inconsistent quality. 2. Lack of local loyalty! Chinese factories would prefer to produce "one fits all" items for customers from all over the world! In the optical sense, Single vision lens would work and others could be big issues! SO, if they bring in the Seiko copycat progressive lens, I will assume not everyone would buy it. On the other hand, they will not have any advantage if they buy lens material locally from San Diego!
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 09-28-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG View Post
    After spending years in China, involved in shoes, optical , luggage/leather, paper mill, bicycle manufacturing. I can fairly conclude Chinese may only take a tiny market share even they plan to set to 100+ of labs in the North America: 1. Purchase material from various supply channels. Chinese factories don't buy material just from one supplier. Instead, they would buy material from different sources from USA, Korea, Japan or European countries where ever they can get good deal at the time and causing inconsistent quality. 2. Lack of local loyalty! Chinese factories would prefer to produce "one fits all" items for customers from all over the world! In the optical sense, Single vision lens would work and others could be big issues! SO, if they bring in the Seiko copycat progressive lens, I will assume not everyone would buy it. On the other hand, they will not have any advantage if they buy lens material locally from San Diego!
    looks like u got know the chinese very well

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Yes! Call me "Chinese Guru" if u like and I would further upgrade myself to "American genius" if I have a chance by helping Chinese own labs in San Diego to export lens back to China for even higher profit! In addition, I wouldn't mind to help American own brand name eyewear to copy their own products for the purpose to occupy that sector of market share in China? They have a huuuuge market there! Why not ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes! Call me "Chinese Guru" if u like and I would further upgrade myself to "American genius" if I have a chance by helping Chinese own labs in San Diego to export lens back to China for even higher profit! In addition, I wouldn't mind to help American own brand name eyewear to copy their own products for the purpose to occupy that sector of market share in China? They have a huuuuge market there! Why not ?
    how many cities have you visted, danyang, wenzhou, beijing, guangzhou, or yingtan?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    All over China even up to Russian border. I had traded a pair of rayban for a big jar of caviar there! I'm not going there anymore because the cost of living is way too expensive ! However, I would encourage ppl here to export unique stuff to China and make good $$$$!
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 09-29-2013 at 04:00 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was in Brazil some years back, in the southern region, more specifically, the state of Parana. I was on a trade mission, sponsored by the state of Ohio, and we often ran into Chinese businessmen looking for land on which to build factories. Their main reason...their labor pool was being depleted, and the cost of labor was rising to a level that was cutting too far into their profits. Granted, that was in the roaring 90s, and much has changed since then, but it does illustrate that they will go to the ends of the earth in search of profits.

Occupation
    We live, work and play in a global economy. Yesterdays third world hell hole is tomorrows marketplace creating wonderful new opportunities.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Real globalization.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    There are 300,000,000 Rx consumers in China each year and 12% could afford Essilor lens (frame and lens over $700 USD)! I'm sure there is enough room for American online retailers! spark?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Redhot Jumper

average may be over 200 USD
    There are 300,000,000 Rx consumers in China each year and 12% could afford Essilor lens (frame and lens over $700 USD)! I'm sure there is enough room for American online retailers! spark?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In the news today. To note, China is not part of the PPP .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24421618

Last edited by beejay; 10-07-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by beejay View Post
    In the news today. To note, China is not part of the PPP .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24421618

Could you be more precise

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The region whole of Asia, not China.

Does not directly relate to this thread, yet I am sure means a lot in the long run.

Read the article and Im sure you would get the drift.

Benny

Thread Information