Thread: Any good ipad apps to demo/explain lens options to patients in optical shop?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Any good ipad apps to demo/explain lens options to patients in optical shop?

We are looking for an easy to use ipad app to demonstate lens options to patients in our optical shop. Currently, my optician is explaining AR coating, transitions, polycarb, progressives etc all day long for patients. This is by far the biggest time consuming chore that she has in the optical shop. Since she is the only optician this can really tie up her time. Although I realize that an ipad app can't replace a qualified professional, I'm sure there must be a way of jumpstarting the process. What I envisage is that the optician selects a few important topics on the ipad eg: the benefits of polycarb and using AR coating and then hands the ipad to the patient. After the patient is done with it the optician can answer or expand on any questions. There could be topics such as progressives vs. bifocals/single vision, computer glasses, hi index options etc. It would also be great if there was a generic explanation of how to use your vision plan benefits (perhaps one for VSP, eyemed etc). I don't think it's really necessary to purchase a pre-made app with many bells and whistles; this should be quite simple.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Luma eyemaginations and have no complaints yet. Not only does it have good tutorials for optical ranging from PAL usage to asph lens benefits and everything else you can think of. It also is playing in our waiting room about topics like astigmatism to the production walk through of our custom eye wear line that we carry. I personally love the videos that loop because they raise questions for the patient that I can answer. I can explain things till I am blue, but when a patient comes to me with questions that gets them involved and more interested in the conversation. If a patient sees something on TV it reinforces what the "salesman" has to say. The Crizal commercials are a big example of this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These are all good ideas. The one thing that concerns me by handing the patient a video to watch it seems to remove the personal attention that they feel they deserve. Yes the video frees you up to do other things but the attention from us is what the patient deserves and expects. Not to be baby sat by a video. Yes that is what the patient feels like. More often then once I have seen a patient watch a video and then sit there another 5 or 10 min before we finish another task or another patient before we get back to them. We all know how long a minute seems when we are just sitting and waiting.
    Oh and YES! The Crizal commercials are awesome. The product is sold before the patient ever comes into the office. Same with Transitions. Those commercials just make it so much more easy to move the product.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are great babysitters I will say that. The way we have it set up is like a museum. Of course we would always prefer to give each and every patient the attention they deserve. That said I also like it when there are 10 patients in optical browsing to purchase. We have several tablets that are set up around the office that are based on loops. Usually set to videos that describe the line they are in front of. For example, in our Tom Davies section we have a table looping through the different materials and how the frames are produced. The videos are set up a little like Discovery channels how it's made program. Most people are fascinated by videos like that. This also gives me the chance to point to the video and walk them through my explanations of why a 1000 frame is truely better and not simply words. Now for lens we have tablets running simulators which are ok. Hoya and shamir both have apps that allow you to walk around the room and point the tablet and get a feeling of how a PAL will work or what a sun tint will be like ect. Honestly, however we rarely use them for lenses. When it comes to lenses that is where our expertise separates us from the optical down the road and a video cannot portray that very well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    We are looking for an easy to use ipad app to demonstate lens options to patients in our optical shop. Currently, my optician is explaining AR coating, transitions, polycarb, progressives etc
    You want it, you don't want it, avoid when possible, emerging presbyopes want it, in that order. But there are exceptions, and there are no apps for that.

IMO let the optician do their job, and save the apps for the fluff.
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 09-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or you could stop demoing and going through good, better, best conversations and simply fit through a consultative approach. Ilanh, do you ask you patients what drops they would like post Sx? Then why does your staff of 'Professionals' ask your patients what lenses/coatings/etc. they would like?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would love for every patient to take my recommendations. Everyone would be in an Individual, Surmount, Mystyle ect. ID SV ect. However, some patients are broke and lucky to be able to get a Gt2. In our practice, that is where the good better best discussion comes into play. We tell patients what they need and why they need a lens. When a patient tells me they really can't afford what I recommend, we respect that and move down a tier in our recommendation. Same with an asph lens vs a conventional SV lens. If the patient is a -6.00 -2.50 and cannot afford a 1.67 asph FF design, we don't like it but to get the patient seeing a stock poly will get the job done. That said the patient is very educated in why that lens is not recommended and how it can be improved upon. I guess you could say a consultative approach in not a good better best conversation, but instead a best better good conversation. How do you handle patients that would benefit from the latest tech but simply does not want to pay the 1000 price tag against your recommendation?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You don't need an iPad app, you need another Optician!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Or you could stop demoing and going through good, better, best conversations and simply fit through a consultative approach. Ilanh, do you ask you patients what drops they would like post Sx? Then why does your staff of 'Professionals' ask your patients what lenses/coatings/etc. they would like?
    This is largely to free up her time and avoid burn out. There are roughly three things that she explains 20 times a day: AR coating, the benefits of poly and progressive lenses. Each of those topics are more easily explained with visual aids than by discussion. For example, we have a pair of glasses with a -6.00 plastic lens on one side and a -6.00 1.67 lens on the other side. One lens has an AR coating, the other does not. In one second the patient has understood two concepts far better than a 10 minute discussion would have served. Visual aids can assist with understanding the options and can reduce the amount of time spent explaining the options: they are not, however, a replacement of a discussion. I don't quite understand the analogy of the postop drops?? People have to take the drops that I prescribe for them postop. There is no discussion about this and there is certainly no option. If you don't take the drops, I don't do the surgery (we start them preop) This has no similarity to the experience in an optical shop. Everything we show and sell there is purely optional and there is absolutely no need for the patient to comply with our recommendations.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by DazeyReign View Post

You don't need an iPad app, you need another Optician!

....................the perfect answer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably was a poor analogy, should have used a dry eye patient instead.

The core of the point is the same. 4 years ago I stopped with the option a option b sales method and adopted a more consultative approach. I don't do demo's on AR, high index, Free form, etc. During our conversation while selecting glasses I simple take mental notes as to their needs and 'prescribe' the final lens. In 4 years I have had one person ask why they should have XYZ lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    This is largely to free up her time and avoid burn out. There are roughly three things that she explains 20 times a day: AR coating, the benefits of poly and progressive lenses. Each of those topics are more easily explained with visual aids than by discussion. For example, we have a pair of glasses with a -6.00 plastic lens on one side and a -6.00 1.67 lens on the other side. One lens has an AR coating, the other does not. In one second the patient has understood two concepts far better than a 10 minute discussion would have served. Visual aids can assist with understanding the options and can reduce the amount of time spent explaining the options: they are not, however, a replacement of a discussion. I don't quite understand the analogy of the postop drops?? People have to take the drops that I prescribe for them postop. There is no discussion about this and there is certainly no option. If you don't take the drops, I don't do the surgery (we start them preop) This has no similarity to the experience in an optical shop. Everything we show and sell there is purely optional and there is absolutely no need for the patient to comply with our recommendations.
    Last edited by kcount; 09-23-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the process of our conversation I have already found out their budget, their pain points, wants, needs, name of the family dog, etc. As a result I suggest lenses accordingly in one final run down of the billing. I also do less Freeform than many of the offices out there as I have a slightly altered view on the value add of FF over conventional lenses.

I disagree, a consultative approach is never good/better/best or any other variation of the same. Rather it is finding out what the patient wants/needs and then fulfilling the same. If the patient states it's too expensive.. I've not been listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedentity3 View Post
    I would love for every patient to take my recommendations. Everyone would be in an Individual, Surmount, Mystyle ect. ID SV ect. However, some patients are broke and lucky to be able to get a Gt2. In our practice, that is where the good better best discussion comes into play. We tell patients what they need and why they need a lens. When a patient tells me they really can't afford what I recommend, we respect that and move down a tier in our recommendation. Same with an asph lens vs a conventional SV lens. If the patient is a -6.00 -2.50 and cannot afford a 1.67 asph FF design, we don't like it but to get the patient seeing a stock poly will get the job done. That said the patient is very educated in why that lens is not recommended and how it can be improved upon. I guess you could say a consultative approach in not a good better best conversation, but instead a best better good conversation. How do you handle patients that would benefit from the latest tech but simply does not want to pay the 1000 price tag against your recommendation?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Thread Information