Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best office/ variable focus lens

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best office/ variable focus lens

OK, after limited success with office type lenses, I'm finally throwing in the towel and asking for suggestions y'all have for the most successful office/computer lenses. All suggestions welcomed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ft-35 with computer rx in top / full reading in seg.

SV

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ...In a pair of nerd frames, I'll bet. Discriminating patients in my office prefer the exciting and attractive Sola Access lens. It's a rather...ahem..."time-tested" design.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the Shamir office but I like all things Shamir. The biggest problem that I have come up against are the patients aged 62 on up who sit 18-20 inches away from their computer and don't understand why a multi focal lens no longer works for them. In these situations I have found that their single vision near does the trick. Long story short, there is no one size fits all solution. This is why we are a face-a-face industry. That's one for us.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had tremendous success with Shamir Office. Great success with Zeiss business when used for correct situation. Limited use, but relative success with Zeiss RD. No success, but limited experience with Hoya Tact (but others in the office have fit successfully).

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    OK, after limited success with office type lenses, I'm finally throwing in the towel and asking for suggestions y'all have for the most successful office/computer lenses. All suggestions welcomed.
    For high frequency of use with a desktop monitor, accountants for example, select a lens and Rx that provides generous zone widths and heights on the primary gaze to about 10 degrees below, to capture most of the screen(s) with minimal posturing and head turning. In most cases, especially with adds over +1.75, a near zone is required to see the desktop adequately.

For office lenses, for the client who ambulates frequently, give them as much plus on the distance that they can handle without feeling uncomfortable, typically +.50 D to +1.00 D, generally more for myopes and lens for hyperopes.

In general, use the same design multifocal for both the general purpose eyeglasses and the task eyeglasses, that is, segmented for both, or progressive for both.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do use the FT35 often, but wanted to use a progressive for the progressive lens customer. We have noticed that now with more people using multiple monitors, that the difficulties are multiplied. (maybe a FT w/ mid would be the better choice for them). But they do lose the "beyond the work station" range.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the Kodak Unique Monitor View (less $$ than the full-field version, check with your lab!)...just use the full progressive rx and spot as usual. They will have a huge central intermediate, reading at the bottom and a 10ft "office" distance at the top. For ME, I like that I can walk around with them at work all day. They are definitely NOT for driving, though, EVER.
    Last edited by SeaU2020; 09-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From experience in the office, we prefer Hoya tact lens set at the lower power range of the Eyepoint 40 setting. We have tried shamir's line of office lenses and the RD, which both work great. However, from patient responses and reactions the tact seems to give a little larger useable area. About shamir though, I am very excited to try the new shamir workplace. Has anyone had a chance to give it a try?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the tact too - over here we call it Desk though - and the iD Workstyle for the more premium option. I really like the Diamond Finish Blue Control too - our patients love it and a few of them have even asked to have it on their regular progressives as well.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The iD workstyle intrigued me quite a bit. After doing a little research it seems that Australia gets all the fun stuff, kangaroos and advanced lens designs. It seems that here in the US the Tact or desk is the premium option for near variable lenses with hoya. After several phone calls to my hoya lab it seems like they have not even heard of the workstyle.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have excellent results with the Essilor Computer lens.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Just figure the amount of power needed for intermediate/computer range. Then choose the appropriate ADD power for reading. Grind all of this in the least expensive progressive lens available. And there you go, the best computer lens in the world. Well except for the ft 35 with computer RX in the top

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Recently heard from my Shamir rep, the launch date for the Workspace and Computer lenses are projected for some time in Oct. The Workspace has a distance focal out to approximately 10 feet; which should give a much wider viewing angle than the Office. The Computer, has a distance focal of 6 feet, with an even wider viewing angle. Certainly a much better option than a cheap progressive lens with a narrow channel design.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We fit Shamir Autograph II Office probably 90% here and the patients love them, it's possibly the only lens I've never seen come back; as far as complaints as to how it works for them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ask your Luzerne rep about our new FreeFocus PC designs.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 09-19-2013 at 07:04 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedentity3 View Post
    The iD workstyle intrigued me quite a bit. After doing a little research it seems that Australia gets all the fun stuff, kangaroos and advanced lens designs. It seems that here in the US the Tact or desk is the premium option for near variable lenses with hoya. After several phone calls to my hoya lab it seems like they have not even heard of the workstyle.
    Do you guys have the iD series of lenses over there? We have Lifestyle V+, Classic, MyStyle and of course, Workstyle. The other day I was speaking with our Hoya rep who mentioned that Hoya's about to release a new progressive over here next month. It's supposed to be positioned between Summit TF and iD Lifestyle.

I always thought that you guys got the cool stuff first. Autograph 3 and the S Series, for instance, have only really landed here in the past 6 months.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep in mind atypical focal lengths for intermediate. Measure if you can. These are among the most misunderstood of lens designs. Not going to stump for one brand or the other - but there are very interesting products out there that people overlook regularly along these lines.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by wayway View Post
    Do you guys have the iD series of lenses over there? We have Lifestyle V+, Classic, MyStyle and of course, Workstyle. The other day I was speaking with our Hoya rep who mentioned that Hoya's about to release a new progressive over here next month. It's supposed to be positioned between Summit TF and iD Lifestyle.

I always thought that you guys got the cool stuff first. Autograph 3 and the S Series, for instance, have only really landed here in the past 6 months.
    the new lens will be the MyStyle V+.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FWIW, when using segmented multifocals for computer or general purpose eyeglasses, a FT28 has about 15" of field at 16", more than enough for the desktop and general near tasks.

MQ = (MC * AB) / AC

MQ = Width or height through segment
    MC = Distance from fixation point to center of rotation
    AB = Segment diameter - pupil size
    AC = Distance from segment to center of rotation (vertex distance + center of rotation)

http://www.opticiansfriend.com/artic...ations.html#MQ
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The key to dispensing Office/Computer type lenses is setting both the power, and expectations correctly.

Although the Hoya Tact and Gradal RD are classics, they require too long of a B for my taste to work well.

2 best options, that will vary by your need for Room distance
    1) Shamir Office Auto II, the ONLY regressive lens that will allow you to specify the intermediate power exactly. About 20% room distance at the top. 100% Free-form
    2) The Seiko PC Wide. no room distance, but enormous computer zone, the largest made. Based from the Surmount lens. but not for walking around. 100% Free-form

I prefer the term Regressive for these types of lenses (they regress to the top, and instead of progress to the bottom), I think VSPs term is too arduous.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The word is "degressive", Sharpstick. No soup for you.

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unity CVX Blu-Tech :) I've received only positive feedback on this lens (with & without blu-tech feature). I've also had success with the Tact.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    The word is "degressive", Sharpstick. No soup for you.
    My bad, thanks! But I did have soup anyway.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Ask your Luzerne rep about our new FreeFocus PC designs.

Can you tell me a little more about this lends, unfortunately I dont have a luzerne rep.

Thread Information