Thread: Licensed Optician VS Optometrist

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Licensed Optician VS Optometrist

I'm currently in school right now to become a licensed optician. However my goal is to eventually get into optometry school. The current state that I live in does not have optometry so I would have to move out of state. I just don't know which route to go. Should I continue and get licensed and then go to optometry school? I currently have a bachelors in arts which doesn't help me because there are courses that I still need to take to meet the requirements for optometry. Another route that I was thinking of was to get my masters first so that I can take the courses that I need and get another degree at the same time and then apply for an optometry school or should I get another bachelors but in science and then apply for optometry. I am currently paying out of pocket for everything because I already have a bachelors but if I go the Masters route then Financial Aid would help out a lot.
    Last edited by xis; 08-29-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You will need only to complete the science prerequisites and math through Calculus. You are looking at an additional year. Unfortunately most Opticianry schools are in Community and Technical Colleges. The credits from those (generally AAS degrees) will not be transferable. The education you receive in Opticianry School will help you, but you have a degree already, and if Optometry is the eventual goal then I suggest going in that direction. I am not sure what kind of Master's Degree you would seek to help admission, because you would still need the undergrad science credits to gain entry into a graduate degree in the sciences. You will also have to take the OAT and achieve a decent score. I wish you the best in your decision.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the input. I'm kind of at crossroads right now. I love what I am doing as an unlicensed optician but I know I want to become an optometrist.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago, I created a chart which factored in such things as school debt and assumed income levels with each profession. With the large load of debt I would have to take on, it was going to take years in most income scenarios to break even and then years beyond that to reach the sum total of income earned as an optician able to to work full-time. I chose to be an optician.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I am sure that the admissions department at your local optometry school would be happy to council you. Make an appointment and bring in your academic records and avoid floundering around wasting time and money.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by xis View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm kind of at crossroads right now. I love what I am doing as an unlicensed optician but I know I want to become an optometrist.
    It doesn't look like much of a crossroads to me. You're in a comfortable place, but you know you want to eventually be somewhere else.

The "where" has already been decided. Now, it's only about the "when".

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Years ago, I created a chart which factored in such things as school debt and assumed income levels with each profession. With the large load of debt I would have to take on, it was going to take years in most income scenarios to break even and then years beyond that to reach the sum total of income earned as an optician able to to work full-time. I chose to be an optician.
    Yea, I see myself going in that route as well. I guess only time will tell. Thanks for the input.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I am sure that the admissions department at your local optometry school would be happy to council you. Make an appointment and bring in your academic records and avoid floundering around wasting time and money.
    Unfortunately the state I live in doesn't have an optometry school. I will probably talk with my opticianry adviser though.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    It doesn't look like much of a crossroads to me. You're in a comfortable place, but you know you want to eventually be somewhere else.

The "where" has already been decided. Now, it's only about the "when".
    As of right now that's what I want to do but I don't know if it will be worth the time and money.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My personal business plan: Find something you really like to do, and figure out a way make money doing it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You should choose what you love to do, but if you are going to choose Optometry, you should concentrate on getting the courses you need to get in. The admissions committees at Optometry schools are more interested in your biology, chemistry and math grades, rather than if you are a licensed optician.

You can be successful and happy in either field. Optometry takes more investment in time and education. You need some pretty strict discipline to make it through 8 or 9 years of college, not to mention f amily and financial support.

Go outside of your present situation, meet a few optometrists, and opticians. Go visit a college of Optometry and opticianry, talk to the admissions department, some students, financial aid officers, etc., then decide.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Go visit a college of Optometry and opticianry, talk to the admissions department, some students, financial aid officers, etc., then decide.
    ...and, even though you've worked with/around ODs, shadow one (or more) for a day, and see what it's like behind the closed door. Shadow a chain store OD, as well as private practitioners, as there is a good chance you may be both, if you choose that career path.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I gave this sound advice to a fellow member years ago when they were wondering if its worth it to become an optometrist:

THIS is NOT OD BASHING!!!!

Tonight you can practice what its like to be an OD!

Sit in your bedroom with a comfy chair, turn off the lights, and repeat "Is it better in one....or...two?". Now say that for the next eight hours straight, then pull out your medical insurance card and call the customer(dis)service number and IF you get a live person, just ask a bunch of questions about your coverage. Hang up and do that again for the next three hours. You should be able to get through about twice. If you still enjoy that experience, well...have at it!

Good luck. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I *grow up*!!

I like being an optician!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I gave this sound advice to a fellow member years ago when they were wondering if its worth it to become an optometrist:

Sit in your bedroom with a comfy chair, turn off the lights, and repeat "Is it better in one....or...two?". Now say that for the next eight hours straight, then pull out your medical insurance card and call the customer(dis)service number and IF you get a live person, just ask a bunch of questions about your coverage. Hang up and do that again for the next three hours. You should be able to get through about twice. If you still enjoy that experience, well...have at it!

I normally don't take exception to your opinions because I happen to agree with many, but this perception of an optometrist Is going the way of the horse and buggy.

I spend at least 50% of my day treating eye disease, a lot of it glaucoma, and I am an old guy. The new graduates today are more likely to be worrying about which OCT they are going to buy, not which edger to buy or frame line to take in. Even without surgery, what an optometrist can do is almost limitless. Not to take anything away from opticianry. .. in fact this trend may be the boost that it needs.

I admit that a good percentage of ODs choose to work in an employed retail optical position, but so do a lot of opticians. This puts each profession in the same potentially boring situation. You are likely an self employed optician who hires non committed ODs. You don't commonly see what the self employed OD does for a living first hand.

I love being an optometrist, and all the bad insurance plans, and cranky patients, and all the seemingly useless other hoops to jump through, could not make me change my mind.
    Last edited by fjpod; 09-01-2013 at 10:46 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

There are pros and cons to both fields.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Being an OD is a great and noble calling. If that is your end goal, and given the market place (too many ODs) you can still be successful... because, the VERY BEST OD's (fiancially) started as Opticians.

Work 2 years as an Optician and you will be one great OD.

( I have one practice that requires every OD to have one year of Opticianry experience. Lets just say they take the ENTIRE staff to New York, Vegas, Paris and Japan this year, paid)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    XIS: figure out what you want to be doing over 10-20-40 years and go for it. Assuming you will be alive and healthy in 40 years, do not find yourself 40 years older and not living your dream and what you want to be doing. Think it through and go for it, no regrets. On the license front, only 33% of the OD schools are in licensed optician states, so the odds are low that you will need it to dispense in your spare time. But if you do decide on opticianry, then getting the associates in opticianry is a good idea... IMHO

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eye-care is going to be dramatically changing in the coming years. If you can, hold on entering optometry. The market is changing and the tide is not well defined at this point. Becoming an optometrist carries a heavy financial investment that is hard to repay. Most ODs when they graduate should be on their late 20 or early 30 having ample time to repay their investment. If you are in your 30 repayment becomes more difficult because you will not be productive for at least 8 years.

If you are to become an optician you should consider only working in licensed states and hopefully going into your own business. Remember the more you owe the larger the nut you have to crack every month; this is the down fall of optometry and large chains. A little optician shop can prosper and adapt very easily as long as insurance does not cover the adult population which most likely will not. Optometry will embrace technology to provide more services and here is where you as an independent optician will play a significant role in allowing these optometrists to work in your practice and by your rules. Technology is not cheap so your investment will be returned very well.

good luck,

CNG

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow, that's one way to look at things.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get your Optom Degree if Possible

I'm a 43 year optician . Get Your Optometry Degree if possible. Or start your own practice like Johns or Craig

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CNG View Post
    Eye-care is going to be dramatically changing in the coming years. If you can, hold on entering optometry. The market is changing and the tide is not well defined at this point. Becoming an optometrist carries a heavy financial investment that is hard to repay. Most ODs when they graduate should be on their late 20 or early 30 having ample time to repay their investment. If you are in your 30 repayment becomes more difficult because you will not be productive for at least 8 years.

If you are to become an optician you should consider only working in licensed states and hopefully going into your own business. Remember the more you owe the larger the nut you have to crack every month; this is the down fall of optometry and large chains. A little optician shop can prosper and adapt very easily as long as insurance does not cover the adult population which most likely will not. Optometry will embrace technology to provide more services and here is where you as an independent optician will play a significant role in allowing these optometrists to work in your practice and by your rules. Technology is not cheap so your investment will be returned very well.

good luck,

CNG
    If I go into Optometry I will be in my late 20's by the time I finish. The only down side is math and science is not my best subjects.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Optician1960 View Post
    XIS: figure out what you want to be doing over 10-20-40 years and go for it. Assuming you will be alive and healthy in 40 years, do not find yourself 40 years older and not living your dream and what you want to be doing. Think it through and go for it, no regrets. On the license front, only 33% of the OD schools are in licensed optician states, so the odds are low that you will need it to dispense in your spare time. But if you do decide on opticianry, then getting the associates in opticianry is a good idea... IMHO
    I can see myself doing both, so it's kind of hard.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    You should choose what you love to do, but if you are going to choose Optometry, you should concentrate on getting the courses you need to get in. The admissions committees at Optometry schools are more interested in your biology, chemistry and math grades, rather than if you are a licensed optician.

You can be successful and happy in either field. Optometry takes more investment in time and education. You need some pretty strict discipline to make it through 8 or 9 years of college, not to mention f amily and financial support.

Go outside of your present situation, meet a few optometrists, and opticians. Go visit a college of Optometry and opticianry, talk to the admissions department, some students, financial aid officers, etc., then decide.
    I won't be getting any financial support other than myself. I am currently working as an unlicensed optician, assistant manager. So I know how it will be going into opticianry and I've also shadowed and talked with our OD on site and she loves what she does so right now only time will tell. If I go in and struggle with my math and science Optometry may not work out for me.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    From my experience, very few optometrists give much care on being a good optician. The trend I see more optometrists are more interested in the medical side of eyecare than the optical aspect. For instance, I am the only optometrist within 50 miles that can weld/repair a frame. I'm the only optometrist within 100 mile that can refract a patient and turnaround and surface then edge their lenses. I need 26 hours in a day to keep up with demand. My point is....become a good optician then a good optometrist, then you will never be without a full day of work.

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 well said Wild Bill
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Thread Information