Thread: Whatever happened to the Ontario optical politics ................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Whatever happened to the Ontario optical politics ................

Whatever happened to the Ontario optical politics ....................................???????????????????????

Everything has been quite for a long time. No more complaints and no more posts. Maybe the regulators have started to regulate, so there are no more hot topics.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Whatever happened to the Ontario optical politics ....................................???????????????????????

Everything has been quite for a long time. No more complaints and no more posts. Maybe the regulators have started to regulate, so there are no more hot topics.
    Nothing has changed. I think nobody cares anymore and are just taking matters into their own hands.

Ohhhhhh wait...I'm sure idispense can't resist chiming in...give it some time.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    read todays Huntington post on the latest on the college of opticians of Ontario
    www.huffingtonpost.ca/marvin-ross/health-professional-supervision_b_4716750.html
    Last edited by norman kane; 02-03-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: link

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the post I found it interesting. It confirms what many already know and that is the Ontario College of Opticians is ineffective. I was surprised to learn that other health Colleges are experiencing similar problems. What a waste of our hard earned money. It makes one wonder what the rules are for when they are not applied whether you are licensed or not licensed. Could it be time to deregulate and let the cream float to the top were customer decides? Would it make any difference to the current market?

Quote Originally Posted by norman kane View Post
    read todays Huntington post on the latest on the college of opticians of Ontario
    www.huffingtonpost.ca/marvin-ross/health-professional-supervision_b_4716750.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-optician View Post
    Thanks for the post I found it interesting. It confirms what many already know and that is the Ontario College of Opticians is ineffective. I was surprised to learn that other health Colleges are experiencing similar problems. What a waste of our hard earned money. It makes one wonder what the rules are for when they are not applied whether you are licensed or not licensed. Could it be time to deregulate and let the cream float to the top were customer decides? Would it make any difference to the current market?

If Silverman were still around, we may have been better, as a self regulating profession , to scrap our present system and pay Silverman our 800 bucks per year to get the job done. There is no denying he was effectual and quick . He didn't need 7 years to deal with it.

The only thing that troubles me is that he was also thorough. Surely he must have first explored the regulatory bodies and gone to them to deal with this matter. What reception did he get there that compelled him to resort to his methods ? Did he also go to the Ministry for input as they ultimately oversee all of the Colleges ?

I doubt the membership was pleased with these events and the bad publicity suddenly raining down on opticians from the Great Glasses embarrassment , the ill fated refraction issues, the internet debacle, then the Silverman publicity and a SWAT team.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So here we have clearlycontacts.ca advertising all over the place. Although we can't stop the internet, surely advertising in Ontario should not be allowed. Dispensing of glasses and contact lenses is a controlled act, and only licensed individuals are allowed to do that task. Either that, or let everybody do the same thing. I'm sure that large retailers have the means to establish their own online store. Send in a complaint to your respective college. They are obligated to investigate and report if they receive a complaint.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    So here we have clearlycontacts.ca advertising all over the place. Although we can't stop the internet, surely advertising in Ontario should not be allowed. Dispensing of glasses and contact lenses is a controlled act, and only licensed individuals are allowed to do that task. Either that, or let everybody do the same thing. I'm sure that large retailers have the means to establish their own online store. Send in a complaint to your respective college. They are obligated to investigate and report if they receive a complaint.
    Been there done that about 20 yrs ago when Linda Carter was the spokes woman for Contact Lens Express. The Ontario College of Opticians acknowledged receiving my letter and claimed they would look into it. I also enclosed in the envelope a copy of their catalogue which I requested for by phone. This listed all the contact lenses they carried along with prices. I am still waiting for an answer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All the Toronto opticians and optometrists should quietly visit , film and record what they see or just take written notes and place orders to see how it operates and why the public likes it. A lot of advertising dollars went into this in the past ten years .
    Last edited by idispense; 02-11-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do some reading :
    http://cloudtimes.org/2011/08/24/goo...lion-in-fines/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=optical maven;478484]So here we have clearlycontacts.ca advertising all over the place. Although we can't stop the internet, surely advertising in Ontario should not be allowed.
    Dispensing of glasses and contact lenses is a controlled act, and only licensed individuals are allowed to do that task. Either that, or let everybody do the same thing. I'm sure that large retailers have the means to establish their own online store. Send in a complaint to your respective college. They are obligated to investigate and report if they receive a complaint.[/

if it's a controlled act requiring licensure and Ontario advertising shouldn't be allowed then why has it been going on for over ten years ?
    Last edited by idispense; 02-11-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Under RHPA rules, Colleges can only act if a complaint is sent to them. If you send a formal complaint, the College is obligated to investigate. So send in a formal complaint to your College.
    I also believe that formal advertising in Ontario by CC is a recent phenomenon. Internet advertising is different because it originates somewhere in the Cloud.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Under RHPA rules, Colleges can only act if a complaint is sent to them. If you send a formal complaint, the College is obligated to investigate. So send in a formal complaint to your College.
    I also believe that formal advertising in Ontario by CC is a recent phenomenon. Internet advertising is different because it originates somewhere in the Cloud.
    Go for it ! While you are waiting, read post # 7

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about internet advertising on a Canadian web site. If you go to the CBC News website you are very like to see a Clearly Contacts advertisement. The irony is that this is done on a tax payers partially funded broadcaster's website. I do support the CBC's programming but on this issue I do have a problem. The reason nothing is done, is that a legal battle would financial bankrupt RHPA College's. American drug company's were somewhat successful in stopping cross border dispensing. They had the financial clout and a team of legal professionals. The cost for them was pocket change. If something is to be done it would have to involve a trade agreement and participation of federal and provincial governments. Frankly unless we make it an election issue it will be business as usual. The question is are we important enough to our elected officials to have the laws upheld?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-optician View Post
    How about internet advertising on a Canadian web site. If you go to the CBC News website you are very like to see a Clearly Contacts advertisement. The irony is that this is done on a tax payers partially funded broadcaster's website. I do support the CBC's programming but on this issue I do have a problem. The reason nothing is done, is that a legal battle would financial bankrupt RHPA College's. American drug company's were somewhat successful in stopping cross border dispensing. They had the financial clout and a team of legal professionals. The cost for them was pocket change. If something is to be done it would have to involve a trade agreement and participation of federal and provincial governments. Frankly unless we make it an election issue it will be business as usual. The question is are we important enough to our elected officials to have the laws upheld?

Wrong on the government portion. Do your research.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Wrong on the government portion. Do your research.
    The Colleges only have direct jurisdiction over members. For outside offenders they have the provincial courts if they decide to pursue it. The decision is based on costs, net results and the likely hood of a conviction which can take years. Your Colleges, associations, optical companies and related government bodies etc. all have access to the court system. This problem has to be solved along provincial and international boundaries. The problem is complex and needs co-operation on all levels not just Ontario's RHPA Colleges. Your membership fee of $800 dollars a year does not go far when it comes to a battle like this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One internetter has been at it for 14 years and 800.00 times how many opticians times 14 years equals how many millions ?

How much money do you think they need ?

I think not much $$ at all

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you research you will see why nothing has been done.
    If I believe what you say then there was never a need for an Opticians Act if prosecution is based on costs only.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    If you research you will see why nothing has been done.
    If I believe what you say then there was never a need for an Opticians Act if prosecution is based on costs only.
    We are talking about annual budget of $800 per member of which probably a minor portion is set aside for legal expenses. At the end of the fiscal year I doubt there is a surplus. If you take on one on-line retailer you need to take them all on to be effective. Unfortunatley justice is for those who can afford it. Without the support of the provincial and federal counterparts i.e. Ministry of Health and Ministry of Trade etc. this our reality.

I understand your frustration because I once believed I found a proffesion that I enjoyed with a bright future. The market place has changed globally, not just for us. Personally I believe it is too little too late. Either you adapt or it is time for a career change.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Research the ownerships.

Thread Information