Thread: Patients wanting to pick up their progressive glasses to read....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Patients wanting to pick up their progressive glasses to read....

I have had this with a few patients lately...they say reading is difficult and they want to pick up their glasses and read through the bottom of their progressive...if I remake the glasses...or adjust them to where they want to read they would be looking more than halfway through the mid range at distance ...these are people who have worn progressives before...no matter how I demonstrate they say its much better if I pick them up...HELP!:)

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i had a woman like this a few months ago. it turns out a shop in California gave her a higher seg height so she could use them almost like wearing a ft28. in the end we couldnt make her happy, and she decided to go to a ft35. Unity has a variety of PLX options with shorter corridors you might consider, though im sure there are other PAL's with short corridors as well. this is assuming im reading the problem correctly.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would have them lift the glasses up to where they are comfortable reading, and then have them look out into the distance with them held up and see what they think.

It basically sounds like they want a shorter corridor progressive, they want to get to the reading area faster. Since they're people who have worn progressives before, check to see what design they were wearing, and how they were fit.

I'll go ahead right now and save a number of people the trouble and suggest that, as their add power gets higher, they may want to invest in a pair of dedicated NVO glasses.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Shorter corridor and/or raising the fitting height are considerations. The NVO is a good idea, also a good idea. Shuld consider an office/computer type of lens also. Of the 5+ pair I currently have, for different needs, the office pair has become my 2nd favorite...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Glassesgrl View Post

I have had this with a few patients lately...they say reading is difficult and they want to pick up their glasses and read through the bottom of their progressive...if I remake the glasses...or adjust them to where they want to read they would be looking more than halfway through the mid range at distance ...these are people who have worn progressives before...no matter how I demonstrate they say its much better if I pick them up...HELP!:)

On progressives, with every change of increasing the reading addion, the channel and the clear reading area gets smaller, and at an adddition of above +2.25 the width allows them to see just about 1 coloumn width in a news paper. This means continous movement of the head to find the right reading spot.

At the age when people need additions at +2.25 or over they should leave the fantasy land of progressive lenses and start using a regular large seg bifocal that gives them a decent field of clear vision for distance. as well as for reading.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone for helping;)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what lens did you use and what seg ht?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassesgrl View Post
    Assuming healthy eyes, in most cases you can narrow the problem down to an incorrect Rx, lens position, lens design, or some combination of the above.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainheart View Post
    Summit ECP IQ at 18...if I raise the frame with the nose pads it effects her distance...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If anything like other Hoya lenses, that one probably requires minimum 23-24 mm seg ht to get full rx. Verify in lensometer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    On progressives, with every change of increasing the reading addion, the channel and the clear reading area gets smaller, and at an adddition of above +2.25 the width allows them to see just about 1 coloumn width in a news paper. This means continous movement of the head to find the right reading spot.

At the age when people need additions at +2.25 or over they should leave the fantasy land of progressive lenses and start using a regular large seg bifocal that gives them a decent field of clear vision for distance. as well as for reading.
    You are very correct that reading does narrow with increases in Add power, but many newer FF designs with a wider variety of shapes can still offer enormous reading and intermediate, even in higher adds. Its not like the lenses of 5 years ago that were all narrow T Shapes, or 7 years ago when they were all Hourglass shaped.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Key question. Not mentioned here yet is that you can set many lenses internal seg height seperately, giving you a deeper reading zone (but at the cost of some intermediate). Its more customizable than a short corridor lens. So for example, most Shamir, Ziess Choice, and Seiko offer up to 5 corridor lengths, so you with an 18 normal seg, which would normally have a 14-15 corridor lenght, you can shorten that to 11-14 with more precision, but at the loss of intermediate. I favor the Seiko Surmount WS for fudges because the intermediate is so enormous, it lets you make up in width what you lose in height.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If anything like other Hoya lenses, that one probably requires minimum 23-24 mm seg ht to get full rx. Verify in lensometer.
    i would say a good 21mm

Thread Information