Thread: Tinting transition varifocals

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Tinting transition varifocals

Hi,

im new to the forum from Blackpool and I need help with a question. I have worked in many of the main optical firms and a few private firms and I need some help for a customer (also my mum). My mum is severely photophobic and currently wears varifocals that are deeply tinted and also transitions so they go darker again. Due to reflections she also has an anti reflective coating on the outside and inside of the lenses. Not an easy one to cater for! The firm I currently work for has always been able to provide this for her but due to a change in supplier we have been told that we are unable to do it now, all of the things I have mentioned are a must and physically she can't cope without. Does anyone have any idea of a lens manufacturer that may be able to provide them for her? We live in the north west so would happily contact any opticians that would be able to do them for her and cost really isn't an issue as long as everything can be provided. Any help anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated, without this she can't get new glasses and I know she is struggling to see with her current prescription.

Kaz

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Transitions X-tra Active is quite nice, It holds a tint inside away from UV light and gets extremely dark very quickly outside. Otherwise NXT polarized photocrhomic would be a great choice. It holds even more of a tint inside. I use both fairly often. Hope this helps!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Panny368 View Post
    Hi,

im new to the forum from Blackpool and I need help with a question. I have worked in many of the main optical firms and a few private firms and I need some help for a customer (also my mum). My mum is severely photophobic and currently wears varifocals that are deeply tinted and also transitions so they go darker again. Due to reflections she also has an anti reflective coating on the outside and inside of the lenses. Not an easy one to cater for! The firm I currently work for has always been able to provide this for her but due to a change in supplier we have been told that we are unable to do it now, all of the things I have mentioned are a must and physically she can't cope without. Does anyone have any idea of a lens manufacturer that may be able to provide them for her? We live in the north west so would happily contact any opticians that would be able to do them for her and cost really isn't an issue as long as everything can be provided. Any help anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated, without this she can't get new glasses and I know she is struggling to see with her current prescription.

Kaz
    I can do it for you, no problem. My practise is based in Preston, so not too far from Blackpool (I'm assuming you mean in the UK). PM me if you would like me to make an appointment for you. We'll have a consultation based on your mother's needs and find the perfect solution.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi Robert, that's great news, I can't pm for some reason. Can you send me a pm with our details and I'll call and book her in for an appointment tomorrow. Thank you very much for replying!

Kaz

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Transitions X-tra Active is quite nice, It holds a tint inside away from UV light and gets extremely dark very quickly outside. Otherwise NXT polarized photocrhomic would be a great choice. It holds even more of a tint inside. I use both fairly often. Hope this helps!
    end thread

Thread Information