Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crizal Prevencia

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crizal Prevencia

Anybody using the new crizal prevencia ? How's it working for you. What kind of price point are you using?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    drink some more kool-aid himmerroo ;)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's now available as far as I know, and is pricing the same as Sapphire. We haven't run any yet, but have one of our docs interested in trying it out. Time will tell.

We saw a sample in office yesterday, and as expected, it DOES in fact change the visual experience, in that it lowers the visible light entering the eye (granted, in a small bandwidth range near the purple end of things), but also causes a yellowing of apparent vision - exactly as I said all these A/R's would do. In essence, it's an A/R, with a layer or two re-engineered to act as a flash purple mirror of sorts, while keeping the rest of the familiar greenish Crizal reflex color underneath.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this the same idea as Nikon's SeeCoat Blue? We've sold a few pairs, but the ex Japan 10 working day turnaround has killed it a bit for us.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have it personally. What Uilleann said is accurate. It's essentially the same as the Hoya and Nikon equivalent. Priced the same as Sapphire but we get 3-5 day turn around just like everything else. People have pointed out the cosmetics when I have them on so there seems to be some trade off for the health benefits compared to the cosmetic ones.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I have it personally. What Uilleann said is accurate. It's essentially the same as the Hoya and Nikon equivalent. Priced the same as Sapphire but we get 3-5 day turn around just like everything else. People have pointed out the cosmetics when I have them on so there seems to be some trade off for the health benefits compared to the cosmetic ones.
    As I understand it, there are no substantial health benefits. There is HEV filtration, but not much, and not in a way better than a simple tint. The selling point is reduction of blue scatter from displays such as phones or tablets, and consequent increased contrast and reduced CVS.
    This is comfort, not health.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    As I understand it, there are no substantial health benefits. There is HEV filtration, but not much, and not in a way better than a simple tint. The selling point is reduction of blue scatter from displays such as phones or tablets, and consequent increased contrast and reduced CVS.
    This is comfort, not health.
    The information I've been presented with links the coatings with the prevention/diminishment of ARMD.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    The information I've been presented with links the coatings with the prevention/diminishment of ARMD.
    Yes, but to what degree? How much HEV is still transmitted after coating? In the case of the Hoya version, almost all of it. Do other versions filter more effectively?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not sure about the other versions but E is marketing it specifically as a health product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAmcrT8o9Fw

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because we need an expensive lens option - as we're all too damn lazy to, Oh, I don't know....actually reach up and push a couple buttons to adjust the color of a display screen on our own. LOL

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Because we need an expensive lens option - as we're all too damn lazy to, Oh, I don't know....actually reach up and push a couple buttons to adjust the color of a display screen on our own. LOL
    m

But wouldn't it get boring if we had nothing new to talk about?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Not crazy about the residual color....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Reliable Optics View Post
    Not crazy about the residual color....
    Numerous reps have come in here, and almost all claimed that their super-secret brand of blue (really purple actually) absorbing fancy pants AR DO NOT change the color of the lens. I've been happy to tell them they're wrong each and every time. There simply is no way whatsoever to alter the visible spectrum of light as it passes through a medium, and not have an altered color cast to a lens.

They all look like they've been swimming in the bottom of a urinal for a couple weeks to me. Just like Trivex did (and several HI's too).

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It has to be somewhat yellow if the transmission to the eye is down 20% between
    415-455 nm. That's assuming there is a very good light seal around the eyes from a close fitting wrap frame.

It might deserve a closer look for
    pseudophakia, although I'd strongly recommend additional protection from day/sunlight.

http://news.essilorusa.com/releases/...ble-nationwide
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Smilie Crizal Prevencia

Have sold approx 100 pairs so far. Reflects most damaging wavelegths associated with lipofuscin accumulation in the RPE. Educating at risk patients is key along with samples to demo. We retail at $140. Hope this helps. Best to all.
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post
    Anybody using the new crizal prevencia ? How's it working for you. What kind of price point are you using?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is anyone else having issues with crazing? We have only sold Prevencia once, to a patient wearing a single vision hi-index 1.60, and the coating crazed horribly within the first month... And has now done so again within a few months after having them redone. Our lab doesn't have any idea why this is happening and I'm hesitant to recommend the coating to our patients until we figure out what the problem is!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Edged my first pair this week. The patient is high risk for AMD from the genetic test. She had no complaints of the slight residual color, so we will see how it goes. Ordered a "show and tell" pair for myself which should be in tomorrow or the next day. I'll let you know what I think as it goes. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post

Unfortunately, one look at the sample plano that we glazed, and placed within our sample sets, and the "medicinal" appearance of the lens creates the same facial distortion as.................................castor oil, on a teaspoon, under the nose of a four year old child!
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have despised 2 pair. Both patients did their homework and came in for either SeeCoat Blue or Prevencia. I see more benefit to the Prevencia then the SeeCoat blue. I personally have the SeeCoat Blue on my own pair. I do like the slight color contrast myself.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    I have despised 2 pair. Both patients did their homework and came in for either SeeCoat Blue or Prevencia. I see more benefit to the Prevencia then the SeeCoat blue. I personally have the SeeCoat Blue on my own pair. I do like the slight color contrast myself.
    Nothing better than informed consumers!!!!! If there was a "like it" botton I would press it!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    I have despised 2 pair....... .
    You hated them that much?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    We've made a number of test pairs with Prevencia on them and we've gotten two general reactions; either a dislike for the yellowish color or purple hue, or a number of regular computer users noticing less eye fatigue after being on the computer all day. With the snowy winter we've had up here the purple reflection was terrible the second you step outside and it's also pretty bad under fluorescent lighting. It's not as bad when it's sunny outside with less snow on the ground or indoors with incandescent lighting, but it's definitely still noticeable.

The general consensus among the people I've talked to about it say they would like it for intermediate/office glasses or if people spend a lot of time in front of the computer because of the reduced eye strain, but most would not prefer it on an everyday pair.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wonder how many of those computer users would notice any difference whatsoever if you switched out the lenses for a regular A/R, told them it had the exact same benefit, and dispensed it at the same price?

Sticker shock induced placebo effect methinks?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Wonder how many of those computer users would notice any difference whatsoever if you switched out the lenses for a regular A/R, told them it had the exact same benefit, and dispensed it at the same price?

Sticker shock induced placebo effect methinks?
    They really don't cost that much more. I had a weird one. Lady bought glasses elsewhere and said they were turning her white kitchen a yellow colour. Brought them in for me to have a look at and she was wearing Prevencia. ECP sold it to her but didn't tell her anything about it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You hated them that much?
    dispensed and despised sometime go hand in hand

Thread Information