Thread: Frustrating online situation

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Frustrating online situation

I spent the better part of an hour helping a customer last night to find the perfect pair of Maui Jim sunglasses for him. He was here first thing this morning to return them for a full refund because he found them on eBay for $100 cheaper. Ugh. It burns me up inside. He then told me it was "nothing personal." Actually, it is. I'm paid to help you find the perfect pair of eyewear for you. I'm paid from the money you spend on said eyewear. I can only hope he remembers the good service he received and that will translate to more customers and sales. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by johnnyocook; 07-27-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's see if he comes in for a "free" adjustment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    at times like that itd be a lot of fun to be a dick...

we had a guy come in and seriously waste a total of 5 hours with my opticians... one day I had to help him because he went to LC to get exam, bought progressives online and frames, and came to me to see why he couldnt see... all said and done after the others informed me of his coming in and wasting time... I said well you could take them back to where you got them and see what they can do for you. evil grin.

of course he paid about $70 for frames and progressives... soooo.

Last I knew, he was wanting to have US do a new exam and new lenses.. not sure where that ended up...
    Last edited by Slim; 07-27-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyocook View Post
    I spent the better part of an hour helping a customer last night to find the perfect pair of Maui Jim sunglasses for him. He was here first thing this morning to return them for a full refund because he found them on eBay for $100 cheaper. Ugh. It burns me up inside. He then told me it was "nothing personal." Actually, it is. I'm paid to help you find the perfect pair of eyewear for you. I'm paid from the money you spend on said eyewear. I can only hope he remembers the good service he received and that will translate to more customers and sales. Fingers crossed.
    Same thing happened to me a while back. Honestly, you're better without the customers who don't appreciate the value of your expertise. You shouldn't have to rely on their money either.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why give a refund? All Sales are Final!!

This makes it easy and they also have no warranty via Ebay!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What grounds does a consumer, who does his research AFTER making a purchase, have to return for a refund??
    Tell him that yours are $100 more because you hope you can sucker idiots like him into buying them, knowing you won't give a refund. Then ask him to leave.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did I get this right......you spent an hour of eyecare professional time..........selling a pair of ready made sunglasses......and you expect recognition for your "expertise" in this matter? Alrighty, then.

Most jurisdictions have a "buyer changed their mind/remorse law"..., and unless it is specifically stated on the receipt "all sales are final/no returns/exchanges only", you should smile, and return his money.
    Eyes wide open

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Uncut, I did smile and return his money. I'm sorry you feel like belittling my work helping anyone pick out eyewear. Some customers need help picking out anything. I've been a certified optician for close to ten years and, yes, I feel I should take pride in the knowledge and expertise I have in picking out not just Rx eyewear but high-performance non Rx sun.
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    these situations will occur more frequently and we all need to adapt to the reality of the google/amazon/ebay search and be more thoughtful about the brands/models you carry and pricing policy.
    actually you should thank the customer for the learning moment.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Why give a refund? All Sales are Final!!

This makes it easy and they also have no warranty via Ebay!
    Unfortunately, they do have a warranty.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So he wore them to the beach...and returned them? How do you know he didn't? I had someone buy 2 pr., one for him, one for his wife. They wore them to a wedding, and the husband tried to return them Monday AM. Said they (yeah, both pr) didn't "feel right", and wanted a refund.

I told him to take it up directly with Maui Jim, as they handle all refund/warranty issues. He left, and I (thankfully) never saw him again.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I never did ......................but wonder .............................can you return underwear or swimm suits if you don't want them no more ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This happens very frequently where I work, since I'm in a chain again. I have a totally different take on this subject, having been on both sides of the spectrum. My last job, a private ophthalmology group, we made it very difficult to return anything, since we were more than willing to work with the patient. Change frame styles, change lens styles, we did it with a smile, within 30 days, one time.

Now I work with a company with a 90 day guarantee. We do try very hard to prevent a refund, offering upgrades, redos, going to their house and mowing their yard, naming our first born after them, you get the picture. And to make matters even worse, If they do return, we then have to make up that money for our daily goal, and it comes out of our commission. In the long run though, people are fickle, spouses get upset by the amount of money they spend, whatever, and people return things. I've learned not to get too offended about it, because I don't need the stress. It sucks but it happens.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We don't sell plano sun very much, but rather Rx sun. That lessens our exposure to that crap. Having said that, if you do live by the plano, you die by the plano. Question: is your strategy to be the plano place with personal service? If so, it may differentiate your optical. But then you will eat it at times.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    what is wrong with a nice sign, very visible, and not-so-small-print NO REFUNDS, EXCHANGES/STORE CREDITS ONLY (1 week, 1 time).
    especially for an independent, I don't think 99% of the people will mind.
    These situations happen in every type of retail (except underpants and swim suits? tattoos? lipstick?) and it is part of the game.
    Plano sun is too important a segment to ignore, it is growing and you might as well let plano peeps know that the local optician is a good place to purchase them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We charge a 10%-15% restocking fee

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    "it's a medical device. No returns on medical devices."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    this example is the reason we charge a "re-stocking" fee. if you come into my shop and ORDER anything, you are ordering a custom set of glasses. made individually for you. if you come in a day later and cancel? well, i'm keeping 20% to cover the time i wasted helping you select the ideal frames and helping you to choose the appropriate lens. ESPECIALLY if they take 2 days or more to decide to cancel the order. you wasted MY time and, you wasted my businesses MONEY (wages for people to help you and we do have overhead costs). once you pay me for your order, you have officially PLACED that order and it is submitted to the lab. no one gets a free ride!

Thread Information