Thread: Working for Wal-Mart?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Working for Wal-Mart?

I've been approached by the Dispensary Manager of the Wall-Mart here to apply as a management trainee (he actually called me at work to ask me to come in for an interview).... I'd never considered working for Wal-Mart (as a matter of fact, I generally refuse to even shop there), but I'd get a pay increase and management training. Room to advance, blah blah blah....

The dispensary looks very small and boring, no edging lab, no repairs, not being able to do anything to help people who are in a bind; looks kinda boring, to be honest. The only incentive is the potential to become a manager very quickly.

Looking for feed-back on what it's like to work for the big, ugly box store. Anyone got any input?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I'd never considered working for Wal-Mart (as a matter of fact, I generally refuse to even shop there)

The dispensary looks very small and boring, no edging lab, no repairs, not being able to do anything to help people who are in a bind; looks kinda boring, to be honest. The only incentive is the potential to become a manager very quickly.

Looking for feed-back on what it's like to work for the big, ugly box store. Anyone got any input?
    You already know the answer.

If being a manager, combined w/ a higher income sounds appealing,you may want to consider getting out of optical and managing another type of business. Or, find a large ophthalmology practice that is looking for someone to take them to the next level - provided you have the skills to do that.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know how they are structured today, but not that many years ago I knew a regional manager for WM optical. His job was mostly as fill-in optician when employees quit or didn't come to work. He managed a large area and many times had to drive miles to the store that needed help. His hours were horrendous. The pay was good but not for the amount of hours and driving put in.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked with a man who left our private doctor's office to manage a Walmart optical. It didn't work out but I'm not 100% sure why. I know he wasn't happy and the hours were terrible.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I've been approached by the Dispensary Manager of the Wall-Mart here to apply as a management trainee (he actually called me at work to ask me to come in for an interview).... I'd never considered working for Wal-Mart (as a matter of fact, I generally refuse to even shop there), but I'd get a pay increase and management training. Room to advance, blah blah blah....

Sure....wanna be a corporate lackey? Wanna work 7 days a week....and 364 days a year in Canuckland....following the Ameeerican dream? Go For It, Christopher. You will advance down the totem pole of scmanagement bending over further and further, and liking it, all the while being able to afford the crap in aisle 14 sitting on your apartment deck.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Sure....wanna be a corporate lackey? Wanna work 7 days a week....and 364 days a year in Canuckland....following the Ameeerican dream? Go For It, Christopher. You will advance down the totem pole of scmanagement bending over further and further, and liking it, all the while being able to afford the crap in aisle 14 sitting on your apartment deck.
    Don't hold back . . . let us know what you really think.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is Costco any better?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Is Costco any better?
    I am admittedly anti-big box, but yes, I've heard Costco is MUCH better.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    Walmart doesn't seem like my thing.... Johns was right; I knew the answer even as I typed the question.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I am admittedly anti-big box, but yes, I've heard Costco is MUCH better.
    Ditto that. Unlike WalMart, Costco pays much better and treats their employees with respect and not mere cogs in their money making scheme.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Costco pays their hot-dog makers and servers an annual salaray of $ 40,000 in our area. Have no idea what an optician makes.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Costco pays their hot-dog makers and servers an annual salaray of $ 40,000 in our area. Have no idea what an optician makes.
    FT opticians at Costco pull in around $32-$34 per hour - best hourly rate paid in the industry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's no way they pay the Cafe Worker $19 an hour. They would go broke.! More like $10 would be more realistic and true.

Occupation
    Actually....

A typical Costco worker made $45,000 in 2011, according to Fortune. That’s compared to Sam’s Club workers’ average salary of $17,486 per year, according to salary information site Glassdoor.com. Walmart has also been the target of protests by some of its workers, who are protesting what they say are the company’s low wages.
    Source: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That still doesn't say the associates flipping the hotdogs and making pizza are paid $12. It's an average.
    Sure WalMart starts at probably $8 an hour. You factor in long term (20 year) assoc. who have topped off at the max wage and they are frozen at their $25 or more max. WM as those at $8 and those over $25. Averages out to about $16.50. If we use only those numbers. Factor in management and the Pharmacists, and the average goes skyhigh!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Ditto that. Unlike WalMart, Costco pays much better and treats their employees with respect and not mere cogs in their money making scheme.
    And with that better pay and respect, Costco employees are productive and customer oriented. I see an entirely different mindset among the workers at Costco. Proof that if you pay someone more than the competitor and treat them better, you can still be profitable. Costco is a real success story. 20 years ago, the conventional wisdom was that they could not compete long term with Sams (Walmart) as they would never be able to muster the same buying clout.

Thread Information