Thread: Selling Dive/Scuba Masks

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Selling Dive/Scuba Masks

Hello,

I live in hawaii, and theres plenty of people here interested in RX masks. I think there could be some money in this, but cant seem to find a vendor. As far as i can see, theres two ways to go about it:

1. I buy RXable masks, and edge lenses myself.

2. I find a lab/company that does it for me.

I prefer the second option, but all the sources for masks i find, dont seem to offer wholesale prices. Are RX goggles really so different from RX glasses, that i can't just call in an order and pay X for it and then sell it for Y when it comes in, like i can with all my other jobs?

It appears as if I'd have to order RXable frames from one manufacturer, and then send them out to a standard opthalmic lab to have lenses put in. Which, i geuss makes sense, since I do that for my regular orders.

Hilco doesnt seem to make anything but spherical equivalent goggles now, and i keep finding companies like aquaviz and hydroOptix, who make a great product, but cost me 200 dollars. keystone markup would put my price at $400 dollars, which not only seems pricy, but if my PT googles the label on it, they'll find they could have ordered it direct for half the price! surely thats not gonna help grow a business.

It all just seems silly. Any suggestions on a wholesale vendor that will do the whole order in one place? Preference on a California lab, but beggars can be choosers.

And if no one knows of a wholesaler that can do it complete, any suggestions on a rxable mask provider that doesnt sell RX'ed online themselves?

thanks

z

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You might find an Rx insert for a SCBA that will attach to a scuba mask. Try Scott Airpack. You will probably want to fabricate this yourself.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I make plano base Rx lenses for masks.

Keep in mind that some masks cannot be "rx'd" due to a variety of factors, for example, curvature of the mask lens, lens cannot be removed from the mask without breaking the integrity of the lens/mask seal.

There are a large number of suppliers, Scuba Optics in Rockford, IL who specializes in only mask prescriptions, is an example. I advise against using plastic or polycarbonate lenses as any bonding to the mask lens will not stand up under pressure or temperature change. Glass is pretty much the only way to go unless an entire lens is used as Hilco does. There are a lot of complexities to a do-it-yourself approach, and I strongly recommend you talk with a good dive shop in your area. Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ive done two this week... Hilco. there is a insert (think frame face) and that suction cups to the mask face.

they got rxed with a +5.50 -0.75 and +3.00 -1.00
    Last edited by Slim; 07-01-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Liberty Optical sells dive masks, Ive never ordered them but i saw them in the current catalog.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    ive done two this week... Hilco. there is a insert (think frame face) and that suction cups to the mask face.

they got rxed with a +5.50 -0.75 and +3.00 -1.00
    I called them a few months ago and was told they no longer offer the insert masks, just Plano front glued. Checked out their website just now, doesn't show them with an insert, but I'll call them tommorow.

Thanks. I'm assuming you ordered frame/insert from Hilco and lenses from another source?

I'll check out liberty as well, n give the specialty lab a call.

Thanks as always, optigods.

Z

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yeah we rxed it here.

Hilco "Junior xRx Dive mask"
    Blue w RX adapter
    33/850/000 is part number
    Made by Leader

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contact Scuba Optics, Inc. they specialize in making Rx lenses for nearly any mask. Their number is 800-346-2654

Thread Information