Thread: frame warp angle degree for each lens base curve

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Post frame warp angle degree for each lens base curve

Hi,
    i need to know the frame warp angle degree for each lens base curve from base curve 1 to base curve 10 ,also i need to know the mathematical rule for calculate it for any base curve for power lenses and for sun lenses like in the attached photo
    thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base curve.jpg 
Views:	2563 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	9951

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wael Elsafty View Post
    Hi,
    i need to know the frame warp angle degree for each lens base curve from base curve 1 to base curve 10 ,also i need to know the mathematical rule for calculate it for any base curve for power lenses and for sun lenses like in the attached photo
    thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base curve.jpg 
Views:	2563 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	9951

Sorry, Not that simple. This calc is trigonometric if you assume what net effect changing the base curve would have on wrap angle where you'd have a frame that would follow the front base curve of the lenses accurately.

For everything else, not even a rule of thumb works.

B

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Sorry, Not that simple. This calc is trigonometric if you assume what net effect changing the base curve would have on wrap angle where you'd have a frame that would follow the front base curve of the lenses accurately.

For everything else, not even a rule of thumb works.

B

Thank you very much for your reply, but i just need only the frame warp angle which match the face form angle for each base curve ,that is if i need to design a sunglass frame with base curve for example 6 ,so how much angle degree to warp this frame ?
    Thanks in advance

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Roughly:

6 Base curve: wrap angles from 12-18 degrees
    8 Base Curve: wrap angles from 15-22 degrees

B

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Roughly:

6 Base curve: wrap angles from 12-18 degrees
    8 Base Curve: wrap angles from 15-22 degrees

B
    thank you very much ,and if you please if there is any mathematical rule for calculate any warp angle please tell me ,however many thanks sir.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    is any mathematical rule for calculate any warp angle please tell me ,however many thanks sir.
    Frame wrap angle isn't defined by just the base curve of the lens. In fact, you can have a highly curved frame aperture with little or no wrap angle. (Safilo made a great example of such a frame for SOLA's 16.00 base Enigma lenses.)

Although the wrap angle of the frame will generally increase as the contour of the lens aperture of the frame increases, the total angle will also depend upon the A measurement (eyesize) of the frame, the horizontal distance to the center of curvature of the lens aperture, and/or the curvature of the bridge of the frame (or the angle of the junction between the lens aperture and bridge).

Barry has provided some reasonable estimates associated with many so-called "wrap" frames though.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    Frame wrap angle isn't defined by just the base curve of the lens. In fact, you can have a highly curved frame aperture with little or no wrap angle. (Safilo made a great example of such a frame for SOLA's 16.00 base Enigma lenses.)

Although the wrap angle of the frame will generally increase as the contour of the lens aperture of the frame increases, the total angle will also depend upon the A measurement (eyesize) of the frame, the horizontal distance to the center of curvature of the lens aperture, and/or the curvature of the bridge of the frame (or the angle of the junction between the lens aperture and bridge).

Barry has provided some reasonable estimates associated with many so-called "wrap" frames though.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Thank you very much for great informations and notes ,so please can you tell me any bok can relay on in this issue really i need all a bout the warp angle cos its very important element in design and manufactruing proccess.please help as possible.

thanks for all

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you simply want to know the degree angle of your lens use a right angle calculation;

D = tan-1(b/a)

D = angle
    b = height
    a= length (half the diameter for a curved lens)

But as Darryl and Barry pointed out, your total wrap angle will be influenced by other factors. You could take a plano (flat, no curve) lens and create a *wrap* angle by angling the bridge of the frame. So lens angle alone will not give you a final wrap angle of your glasses.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    If you simply want to know the degree angle of your lens use a right angle calculation;

D = tan-1(b/a)

D = angle
    b = height
    a= length (half the diameter for a curved lens)

But as Darryl and Barry pointed out, your total wrap angle will be influenced by other factors. You could take a plano (flat, no curve) lens and create a *wrap* angle by angling the bridge of the frame. So lens angle alone will not give you a final wrap angle of your glasses.

Thanks dear ,and i have anther question about your equation ,is this equation can be apply it in all standard size small, medium, and large frames ,and please i need to know all factors which effect in the frame warp angle , i need to use most accurate warp angle in the design oprations ,cos the avrage rang can not be lead to technical and industrial defects ,

so i need to know the basis of warp when design both eyeglasses and sunglasses or power lenses or sun lenses.

Best regards

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The basis of wrap design is the human head/face.

I think that you are starting on the wrong foot and I suggest instead that you start by working with percentile face forms instead. Take measurements from them THEN start your frame design.

There are a variety of face forms available in 50% and 95% (which means that they match either 50% of the populate or 95% of the population).

http://www.humaneticsatd.com/crash-t...forms/eyeglass

These are the same headforms that are used for projectile impact testing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wael Elsafty View Post
    ....,and please i need to know all factors which effect in the frame warp angle , i need to use most accurate warp angle in the design oprations ,cos the avrage rang can not be lead to technical and industrial defects ,

so i need to know the basis of warp when design both eyeglasses and sunglasses or power lenses or sun lenses.

Best regards
    Wrap Rx eyewear is extremely complex. I suggest starting with this from KBco to get some basic info.

http://www.kbco.net/wrapsolutions/pdfs/lab_manual.pdf

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    The basis of wrap design is the human head/face.

I think that you are starting on the wrong foot and I suggest instead that you start by working with percentile face forms instead. Take measurements from them THEN start your frame design.

There are a variety of face forms available in 50% and 95% (which means that they match either 50% of the populate or 95% of the population).

http://www.humaneticsatd.com/crash-t...forms/eyeglass

These are the same headforms that are used for projectile impact testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Wrap Rx eyewear is extremely complex. I suggest starting with this from KBco to get some basic info.

http://www.kbco.net/wrapsolutions/pdfs/lab_manual.pdf
    Thank you very much i will try these ways and will feedback all of you again ,also i have reeded about 3×3 Euler rotation matrix describes the linear transformation of pantoscopic tilt,face-form tilt, and Back vertex distance,please any comment about the Euler rotation matrix ,is this rotation matrix can be use and valid to get accurate results,please advise.

thanks for all in advance
    wael elsafty

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    FRAME WRAP ANGLES ACCORDING TO THE LENS SHAPE
    please help

thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Wael, there was a previously discussion here on the complexity of what you are asking, its a good question, but its an enormously complex circular equation where one factor changes everything, and that change effects everything again, Wrap changes power, power change alters vertex, vertex change alters power, power alters base curve, base curve alters wrap, etc. Its an enigma wrapped in a paradox.

The calculations would need a computer program to do so in a production environment. Its easier to calculate the re-entry of a space craft than to compensate fully the effects of wrap angle in spectical RX. There is a reason only a hand full of companies offer a fully wrap compensated lens.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Wael, there was a previously discussion here on the complexity of what you are asking, its a good question, but its an enormously complex circular equation where one factor changes everything, and that change effects everything again, Wrap changes power, power change alters vertex, vertex change alters power, power alters base curve, base curve alters wrap, etc. Its an enigma wrapped in a paradox.

The calculations would need a computer program to do so in a production environment. Its easier to calculate the re-entry of a space craft than to compensate fully the effects of wrap angle in spectical RX. There is a reason only a hand full of companies offer a fully wrap compensated lens.
    Thank you for important explanation ,really i found that this rotation matrix can give me accurate results , of course i iwll relay on a computer program to do that ,so i need just use it to get the best warp angle for all kinds of frame both eyeglasses and sunglasses.so please help if possible.

Best Regards
    Wael elsafty

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I really think that everyone who has provided you with information so far should get a percentage of the gross receipts on your frame sales. Say 10% each.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    I really think that everyone who has provided you with information so far should get a percentage of the gross receipts on your frame sales. Say 10% each.
    Thankyou my friend ,really i can not find any eyewear design guide ,i need Technical Book for eyewear designer.
    Regards
    WAEL ELSAFTY

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I wasn't joking, btw...

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    That is really helpful and make me clear the so many things about the frame wrap angle.

Thread Information