No announcement yet.

flat top and non OU pd's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back before pupilometers(at least where I worked) I measured PDs with a ruler and fit plenty of flat tops. I always did OU PDs and the same seg height and can't ever remember there being a problem.

Now I use a pupilometer and mainly use mono PDs with flat tops. I still use matching heights most of the time but not 100%. And it works this way, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Happylady View Post
      Back before pupilometers(at least where I worked) I measured PDs with a ruler and fit plenty of flat tops. I always did OU PDs and the same seg height and can't ever remember there being a problem.

Now I use a pupilometer and mainly use mono PDs with flat tops. I still use matching heights most of the time but not 100%. And it works this way, too.
      If both scenarios work, then why not provide aesthetics, balance, yin to the yang? Not necessarily a question just for you, really a question as to why an uneven set would be used in non extreme circumstances.
      http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
      Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
      Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Comment

If you can compromise the optics in favor of aesthetics without exceeding ANSI standards, then go ahead.
        I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post
          see if I could be out front all the time and I had a PT with a 3mm PD difference, Id figure out why I got that... do they have a crooked nose or other injury? or maybe use the nose pads to make sure things are even.. I think alot diff than most... I WISH i could get my opticians to get 'into it' more. I should make them all spend a day in my lab to see the mechanical and why side of things.

AND.... Id throw the damm pupilomiters in the trash! I wanna smash those things. the one Op got a pd of 36 and 28 and rechecked it 5-6 times... good ole marker and a steady hand got me a pair of 32's... they are not reliable at all.
          All of our opticians are now required to get trained in the lab for that and other reasons. So far we've noticed great success.

Comment

thanks Dave... gonna have to make that happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post

AND.... Id throw the damn pupilometers in the trash! I wanna smash those things. the one Op got a pd of 36 and 28 and rechecked it 5-6 times... good ole marker and a steady hand got me a pair of 32's... they are not reliable at all.
              They can get out of alignment. I always double check PDs for progressives, higher RXs, and anything that seems off with a penlight and marker.

Comment

do we still make ft's? lol

Comment

my dad says, "one in every 100 pairs we dispense today are ft's." He only has 47 years experience. And so it's a moot point.

Thanks Mike, it was waaay past my bedtime. Yes, I'm a dork.
                  Last edited by eyechick1969; 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM. Reason: To Thank MikeA

Comment

Originally posted by eyechick1969 View Post
                    my dad says, "one in every 100 pairs we dispense today are ft's." He only has 47 years experience. And so it's a mute point.
                    Desperately trying hard not to be a word cop, but the word you want is MOOT, not mute. A mute point would be a silent one, a moot point would be one that has no argument.

Comment

Originally posted by harry a saake View Post
                      do it the easy way, use dualenses, better known as executives
                      lol

Comment

Originally posted by eyechick1969 View Post
                        do we still make ft's?
                        50.8 percent single vision, 20.7 percent bifocal/trifocal and 28.5 percent progressive as of 2011.

In my shop, the percentages are less than 5 percent SV, about 40 percent bifocal/trifocal, and 55 percent progressive.
                        Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

you're a good word cop!

Comment

Working...
                          X