Thread: Help, optics question.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Help, optics question.

I have a patient who recently purchased a pair of sunglasses. He is having an issue I can not seem to pin down. He is complaining about yellow lightning streak affect in the OS lens. It sounds like chromatic aberration to me. However, from my limited knowledge I wouldn't expect that to occur when moving from a 1.67 to a trivex I could very well be wrong. I put him in a trivex with the idea that it would play nicer with the wrapped frame than the 1.67. His script follows.

-2.50 -2.25x155
    -3.75 -2.00x002

PD along with OC are where they should be. the sun glasses are again, Trivex polarized grey with backside a/R on a 7.25 base in a Ray ban 3498

Also, The lens edges have been blacked out due to the thought process that the thicker edges were allowing an aberration to occur from light entering the edges.

Previously, in his clear pair he was wearing an aspherical 1.67 with A/R on a 0.50 base with a minor script change.

-2.75 -2.25 x155
    -4.00-2.00 x 002

His acuities are good, it was only a minor change but the aberration is causing issues for him. Any Ideas? or questions I can clear up?

Thank you all this site a been wonderful and a great help in so many ways.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not CA. Can you duplicate the effect yourself? Is it only at certain times or activities like driving? Tried different panto?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think it could be a faulty polarizing filter.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Could the polarization be off axis with the wrap? It's usually harder to detect in an SV, is the axis wrap compensated?

Secondly 0.50BC to 7.25BC?

I would start with the obvious no matter how odd the explanation may be before jumping into unlikely unknown variables.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's more a reflection/light refracting thing. AR on the back but not the front. (Just like my wraps). you can still get a reflection on the front. I too have on occasion seen a "streak" of light down my lens. It's rare, and the sun has to be at a certain angle to my viewing. Changing the angle of the lens should help if this is the cause.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedentity3 View Post
    I have a patient who recently purchased a pair of sunglasses. He is having an issue I can not seem to pin down. He is complaining about yellow lightning streak affect in the OS lens. It sounds like chromatic aberration to me. However, from my limited knowledge I wouldn't expect that to occur when moving from a 1.67 to a trivex I could very well be wrong. I put him in a trivex with the idea that it would play nicer with the wrapped frame than the 1.67. His script follows.

-2.50 -2.25x155
    -3.75 -2.00x002

PD along with OC are where they should be. the sun glasses are again, Trivex polarized grey with backside a/R on a 7.25 base in a Ray ban 3498

Also, The lens edges have been blacked out due to the thought process that the thicker edges were allowing an aberration to occur from light entering the edges.

Previously, in his clear pair he was wearing an aspherical 1.67 with A/R on a 0.50 base with a minor script change.

-2.75 -2.25 x155
    -4.00-2.00 x 002

His acuities are good, it was only a minor change but the aberration is causing issues for him. Any Ideas? or questions I can clear up?

Thank you all this site a been wonderful and a great help in so many ways.
    I think that you could reduce the phenomena, not eliminate it for the following reasons:

3 lens sandwich, lots of lens surfaces, , thicker lens, steep curved base, and increased vertex, all of which contribute to reflectivity. Changing panto may reduce the frequency of the infliction, and a front side AR would also reduce the intensity, if available.

Aren't you glad you didn't edge polish them?
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would check for excess compression of the polar film .....
    Trip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lots of changes!

Huge BC change. Certainly is causing the "normal" reflections to fall in a different pattern/place than previously used to.

I have seen this occur when there has been a defect in the polarizing filter, or bifrengence when too much pressure is being applied to the lens (bad shape/size.) The most recent one was a shape issue that since it put too much pressure long the A, and the axis was closer to the 90. Being able to look at a computer screen is an easy way to see those anomalies pop out.

I would look for the obvious such as an actual defect/edging issue first. Then adjust, and if not resolved look into adding the front side ar.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Everyone thanks for the responses. I have adjusted them on the patient at several different pantos, and closer vertex to no avail. I am not seeing any indications of a bad polar filter or bifrengence. It looks like I am back at a reflection issue, which I think could be resolved with a lower base curve?

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would'nt Optimizing the RX help. If I plug the rx into Darryl's OptiCampus calculator I get the following results.

Assuming 9 deg tilt and 15 deg wrap
    OD -2.50 -2.25 x155 becomes -2.35 -1.98 x159
    OS -3.75 -2.00 x002 becomes -3.38 -2.10 x007
    Mike

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    patients never worn a frame with wrap

base curve

polarization off axis

is it really trivex and not poly?

in that order