Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coastal Q2 results ...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I doubt if any pure on-line optical is actually profitable ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

Not everyone can get $500,000 or more in start up capital to get a real online site going in an already crowded web-space....there are only so many links on the first page of a google search.

I doubt if any pure on-line optical is actually profitable - but one company which is for sure making boatloads of profits off of on-line optical is..............GOOGLE!!!

I have made a listing of the optical on-line companies over the last few years and there are plenty of them, you can find it at http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm, then scroll towards the bottom of the page and you will see the whole section. My web listing has close to 1000 optical lnks.

Three of the highest traffic ranking ones belong to Essilor who makes lenses and frames these days, so they will make some money somewhere selling on-line and they are not stupid.. They just purchased the latest USA located one a few month ago.
    They also own GKB, the largest lab in India with over 500 employees in locations all over the country and has launched the largest on-line optical a few years back.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chris - as a sidebar - I am not sure that Alexa rankings, especially for websites that are not in the top 100,000 world-wide, are all that accurate....

http://www.soccerwidow.com/blogging/...ry-popularity/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    funny!!! the CEO pictured is a posterboy for online sales. Who fitted his glasses?? they are quite crooked.HA!
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I can't help smiling when I look at this.

Attachment 9931

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    funny!!! the CEO pictured is a posterboy for online sales. Who fitted his glasses?? they are quite crooked.HA!
    "But the progressives work when I make the glasses crooked!"

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Now they have a try before you buy program like Warby BUT with prescription lenses already cut to the frame.

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fash...0Scoops-bullet

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Now they have a try before you buy program like Warby BUT with prescription lenses already cut to the frame.

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fash...0Scoops-bullet
    I guess since they own underutilized MEIs, they can do this. But here is the problem...let's say they use cheap uncoated CR-39 lenses...the customer will want them replaced anyway. If they lose better lenses, they will lose too much money on customers who do not buy. Even with automation, the labor involved in getting this done is going to be significant.

They seem like a company that is experimenting rather than innovating.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably a smart move. Read the fine print. It should boost sales. Boosting growth will also facilitate another round of stock shares to be issued from the treasury again. Free money without having to pay it back. Does it get better than that ?
    Last edited by idispense; 02-11-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post
    I guess since they own underutilized MEIs, they can do this. But here is the problem...let's say they use cheap uncoated CR-39 lenses...the customer will want them replaced anyway. If they lose better lenses, they will lose too much money on customers who do not buy. Even with automation, the labor involved in getting this done is going to be significant.

They seem like a company that is experimenting rather than innovating.

Stan:

I think you will find that their offer includes the coatings of your choice. I think their offer includes Progressives and single vision. I think you choose what you want and they ship it as you ordered the Rx.

Normally there is a 365 day warranty and that still applies to this offer as well BUT the Try Before You Buy warranty is only for 30 days and you must use a credit card to purchase. If you have not returned the glasses within 30 days then your credit card is charged. Now you still have the 365 day warranty but it only applies to unworn eyeglasses.

Is this any different than what Luxottica has been doing at Lens Crafters ? Where is the experimentation ?

Cost of the mail out shipping is no different than before. Returns may go down.

This is likely an excellent marketing strategy.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm intrigued by the potential for errors. I mean, trusting the client to provide the proper PD measurement for their glasses combined with the way they determine what height to place a progressive at combined with tons of other variables. They might be able to see great out of all 4 pairs or not see well out of any of them. Maybe they'll see well out of 2 but they're not the ones they really like.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by oculus View Post
    2012 .. net loss for Q2 242,000 for 2013 ... 6,98 millions !!

http://www.brandonsun.com/business/b...811.html?thx=y
    If you had bought shares in COA when this post (June 10th, 2013) was started, as of today you'd be up 86% ROI.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You would be up over 40,000.00 from the time they went public till now, by once a year investing the equivalent of your 800.00 license renewal fee.

And if you didn't renew your license at all and and invested that too, then you would be up over 80,000.00, not including the cost of CE credits internetters don't face.

Thread Information