Thread: Standards for LVAs

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Standards for LVAs

I have a client who needs to use magnifiers of varying strengths to help her throughout her day. She picked up a 3x magnifier that she was happy with when she was in the US. I ordered her a 3x magnifier from a different supplier and the strength of magnification is discernibly different, about 2 dioptres different when I threw it in the lensometer. I understand the actual magnification changes due to the focal length but are there any standards in place to measure this or is it up to the manufacturer or country of origin?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Magnification= FLcm/25cm
    magnification = Lens power in diopters/4; OR /4 + 1 (marketing!)

b

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I have a client who needs to use magnifiers of varying strengths to help her throughout her day. She picked up a 3x magnifier that she was happy with when she was in the US. I ordered her a 3x magnifier from a different supplier and the strength of magnification is discernibly different, about 2 dioptres different when I threw it in the lensometer. I understand the actual magnification changes due to the focal length but are there any standards in place to measure this or is it up to the manufacturer or country of origin?
    I am not sure of all the international standards, but thickness, raw material used, asphericity, would all be calculated into the better ones, like from coil, or eschenbach....resulting in different powers, and rating would probably be based on the result at the focal length of the lens?

Magnification is a comparison, therefore the reference distance might also come into play in the ratings, often shared with microscopes.
    Eyes wide open

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I am not sure of all the international standards, but thickness, raw material used, asphericity, would all be calculated into the better ones, like from coil, or eschenbach....resulting in different powers, and rating would probably be based on the result at the focal length of the lens?

Magnification is a comparison, therefore the reference distance might also come into play in the ratings, often shared with microscopes.
    One of them was from B&L and the other was from Hilco. The ones I have from Schweizer are measured in Diops so I don't have a 3rd I can compare to.

Thread Information