Thread: arias' glasses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

arias' glasses

Now that this crazy media frenzy is about over I wonder what you think about her frame choice. First of all these look like planos, or at least real close to plano, and more of a prop. Second, I think the frame choice was pretty good, all things considered. Very plain but well-fitted, soft tones and not ultra feminine. I wonder if say, she wore a cat-eye bold Chanel or a heavy Mikli, whether they would have been deadlocked on the penalty. I think she owes her optician a big thank you. Just saying.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    IMO they did her a disservice. They looked like something a serial killer would wear: Outdated, in a style that was never terribly popular even in its day (horizontal fade vs. the more popular vertical), and is now largely favored by the elderly or those who shop at budget optis where they're widely available. They connotate someone out of touch with reality (in a bad way) who exists in the periphery of society (in a bad way), and is oblivious to the thoughts and perceptions of others (in a bad way). She'd have done better to have gone for contacts or simply no correction at all. Perhaps a plain, understated metal frame in a smallish shape. But those? She might as well have worn an orange jump suit through the whole thing.

Matter of fact, they remind me of these frames from NYE, made especially for inmates: http://www.newyorkeye.net/lg/1050.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    IMO they did her a disservice. They looked like something a serial killer would wear: Outdated, in a style that was never terribly popular even in its day (horizontal fade vs. the more popular vertical), and is now largely favored by the elderly or those who shop at budget optis where they're widely available. They connotate someone out of touch with reality (in a bad way) who exists in the periphery of society (in a bad way), and is oblivious to the thoughts and perceptions of others (in a bad way). She'd have done better to have gone for contacts or simply no correction at all. Perhaps a plain, understated metal frame in a smallish shape. But those? She might as well have worn an orange jump suit through the whole thing.

Matter of fact, they remind me of these frames from NYE, made especially for inmates: http://www.newyorkeye.net/lg/1050.html
    That's funny! So maybe we need to carefully consider what our potential clients, indicted on serious charges, wear in front of a jury! you think an Oliver Peoples metal might have got her a not guilty verdict?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    That's funny! So maybe we need to carefully consider what our potential clients, indicted on serious charges, wear in front of a jury! you think an Oliver Peoples metal might have got her a not guilty verdict?
    Looking at old photos of Arias, I'm guessing she got those frames after the indictment. If the were an older pair of frames... I'd have never let her walk out of the store without pointing out the various unflattering connotations of those glasses.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had assumed that since they talked so much about sex games and role playing, that they were just another one of her kinky props.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Her attorney undoubtedly said: "We want her to look like a librarian or schoolteacher" and then picked those planos. The ploy was "transparent".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lol, I cracked up at all the 'in a bad way' phrases added......sure hope that is her side of the tracks, after slicing and dicing and thinking she should get away with it. (Note: Admittedly I know barely anything about this case. Deliberate on my part. :-))

Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post

Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

Thread Information