Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refracting Opticians?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I suppose we as optometrists are lucky in that we have been able to expand our scope in many different directions. Or some will say we have banded together, increased educational requirements, and have been politically active.

True, optometry and ophthalmology have lobbied against it over the decades, but the issue now has turned to whether refraction should be the beginning and end of an eye exam.
    Excellent post. One (very minor) correction though...it was not "lucky", but a very concentrated, well funded effort to get their agenda through, and expand their scope of practice. That's the only way it can be done. I noticed also increased educational requirements were include in the formula for success. For many opticians, that is a deal breaker, and this is where they will see the rest of the opticians pull away from the pack, start setting and meeting higher educational requirements, and starting a new phase of opticianry. Even leaving refraction out of it, opticianry IS changing, and many will one day find their lack of education has rendered them irrelevant. What I envision is a hybrid optician (ophthalmic optician) that will have the education and the desire to push the limits to expand their own scope of practice.

This would seem to set the stage for opticians refracting, but the concept of "stand alone" refractions (i.e...no eye health check) does not go over well with most state Health Departments , Public Health officials, and insurance companies.
    I have spoken with a number of third party plans that would not be opposed to opticians refracting. It would be similar to insurance companies now paying for visits to visit a physicians assistant at a minute clinic at the corner drug store. (I hate the image, as well as the analogy, but I think it fits) The insurance companies are all about the money.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just as ODs learned to do things, so can Opticians. I envision a mid-level practice Optician who has been trained and educated to screen effectively for medical issues for referral, and do refractions. PAs and NPs do it, and so can we. Johns is exactly right above.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren
    PAs and NPs do it
    "Trained and educated" is the key phrase here. Physician assistants and nurse practitioners must complete several years of college and specialized training.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    PA's and APRN's have something that opticians don't have; licensing and appropriate levels of education and a level of testing and examination to confirm their skills. What do opticians have?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Exactly, and that is why I consistently push the need for same, as you both are aware. Opticians must advance, or soon become irrelevant if it is not too late already.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    or soon become irrelevant if it is not too late already.
    It was too late thirty years ago; the craft just refused to die so it has been slowly withering on the vine. No matter how hard the few tried they could not make a silk purse out of a sows scrotum. You see, you thought that you could find respect and validation through governmental regulations. How is that working out for us?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm, I always thought it was a "sow's ear", since they lack the proper parts for a scrotum.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    You see, you thought that you could find respect and validation through governmental regulations. How is that working out for us
    ??? It's working out a helluvalot better for opticians who are actually regulated by the government... In those states that are not regulated, opticianry as a career profession is becoming increasingly rare.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    "Trained and educated" is the key phrase here. Physician assistants and nurse practitioners must complete several years of college and specialized training.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    I agree with Darryl. As most of you know I have a Doctor of Nursing degree, I am licensed as a APRN and certified as a Midwife and also as a Drug and Alcohol Counselor.

The only way that Opticians will ever get ahead is with Education Education Education and standardized licensing. I'm still of the opinion, and I catch H--L for it here all the time, is that opticians should have an AAS plus apprenticeship type training and then license. This is going to cost money and the O.D.s, M.D.s and retailers are going to have a fit every payday.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Hmmm, I always thought it was a "sow's ear", since they lack the proper parts for a scrotum.
    Exactly my point.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Exactly my point.
    Stay classy.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Working in an clinic with OMD's and OD's, all the assistants are trained and preform the retractions. In obtaining my COT certification we are also tested on it. Training is out there and the ABO could include a refraction test like JCAHPO does.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by carriew View Post
    Working in an clinic with OMD's and OD's, all the assistants are trained and preform the retractions. In obtaining my COT certification we are also tested on it. Training is out there and the ABO could include a refraction test like JCAHPO does.
    This is how I learned to refract and yes, it could be incorporated into the ABO.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Successfully completing training to refract, refracting and *refracting well* are 3 totally different things. From an optician/fulfiller standpoint, there's no point in refracting unless it is done *very* well. And very well does not necessarily mean most accurate.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are we not for getting...we are Dispensing Opticians.......I would give up refracting any day of the week, in exchange for eyeglass dispensing exclusivity. Since I have been in the business, ECP have talked about opticians refracting, and at the same time opticians have been complaining about the ...conflict of interest...with optometrists dispensing eyeglasses. Optometrists should have the right to refraction, medical diagnosis, greater medication (for minor infections) and exclusive contact lens dispensing. BUT NO EYEGLASS DISPENSING. That should be the domain of DISPENSING Opticians. It is time to clarify the 3 professions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Are we not for getting...we are Dispensing Opticians.......I would give up refracting any day of the week, in exchange for eyeglass dispensing exclusivity. Since I have been in the business, ECP have talked about opticians refracting, and at the same time opticians have been complaining about the ...conflict of interest...with optometrists dispensing eyeglasses. Optometrists should have the right to refraction, medical diagnosis, greater medication (for minor infections) and exclusive contact lens dispensing. BUT NO EYEGLASS DISPENSING. That should be the domain of DISPENSING Opticians. It is time to clarify the 3 professions.
    +1 Nothing should distract Opticianry from the most immediate goals, uniform post-secondary educational standards and licensing in all 50 states.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

+1 Nothing should distract Opticianry from the most immediate goals, uniform post-secondary educational standards and licensing in all 50 states.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Quick Facts: Dispensing Opticians
    2010 Median Pay $32,940 per year
    $15.84 per hour
    Entry-Level Education High school diploma or equivalent
    Work Experience in a Related Occupation None
    On-the-job Training Long-term on-the-job training
    Number of Jobs, 2010 62,600
    Job Outlook, 2010-20 29% (Much faster than average)
    Employment Change, 2010-20 18,100

What Dispensing Opticians Do

Dispensing opticians help fit eyeglasses and contact lenses, following prescriptions from ophthalmologists and optometrists. They also help customers decide which eyeglass frames or type of contact lenses to buy.

Work Environment

Some opticians work in stores that sell glasses, contact lenses, and other optical goods. These stores may be stand-alone businesses or parts of larger retail establishments, such as department stores. Other opticians work as part of a group optometry or medical practice.

How to Become a Dispensing Optician

Opticians typically have a high school diploma or equivalent and some form of on-the-job training. Some states require opticians to be licensed.

Pay

The median annual wage of opticians was $32,940 in May 2010.

Job Outlook

Employment of opticians is expected to grow by 29 percent from 2010 to 2020, much faster than the average for all occupations. An aging population is expected to lead to greater demand for eye care services.

Similar Occupations

Compare the job duties, education, job growth, and pay of dispensing opticians with similar occupations.

O*NET

O*NET provides comprehensive information on key characteristics of workers and occupations.

Contacts for More Information

Learn more about dispensing opticians by contacting these additional resources.

source -----------------> http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/op...dispensing.htm

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    When I started in this business, the Three "O" had clearly defined role...and we all got along. Now, OD's want to do surgery Opticians want to refract....and MD's want to sell glasses,,,,,,
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'd venture to guess that, somewhere in there, there's a response to one of the three honing in on another's territory, and the others backlashing against it. I know of ODs who attempts to handle most of their own frame sales/styling/fitting and nominally keeps the opticians around to dispense and adjust, with the justification being (and I quote) "Patients come here to see the doctor, not an optician. They should spend as much time with the doctor as possible and as little time with the optician as possible, so they feel like they're really being cared for."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    I'd venture to guess that, somewhere in there, there's a response to one of the three honing in on another's territory, and the others backlashing against it. I know of ODs who attempts to handle most of their own frame sales/styling/fitting and nominally keeps the opticians around to dispense and adjust, with the justification being (and I quote) "Patients come here to see the doctor, not an optician. They should spend as much time with the doctor as possible and as little time with the optician as possible, so they feel like they're really being cared for."
    Sounds like my old boss! Didn't know he could be in MI and TX at the same time!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    This not an unreasonable thing to say. It's really no different than the clients who come in and insist on seeing me only. I know of at least one ophthalmologist who let go a 27 year refracting/medical tech because he discovered his patients were rebooking their appointments if this person was not in that day.

That's a asset doc, not a liability.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 05-29-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And the business genius of the year award goes to...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I know of at least one ophthalmologist who let go a 27 year refracting/medical tech because he discovered his patients were rebooking their appointments if this person was no in that day.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's really all about economic power, I believe.

Since commercial opticals have eaten private opticianry's lunch, there's not as much money to be had.

We're in an age of big business, in general, and for medical care, it's happening as well. That's what optometry has to deal with, because we have decided we're medical professionals, I think for once and for all.

I think opticians should go the medical route and affiliate, and if refraction is your thing, you may have that opportunity. Alternatively, an optician could go the independent business route, in which case you don't need to refract...you'll be busy managing inventory and employees and sales taxes while a hired-gun OD comes in (there will be opportunity aplenty as ODs are numerous and need to eat.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The most populated states do require a license to practice opticianry in one shape or another. I think the medical model will be over saturated and the OMD and ODs will have a large amount of patients leaving them no time to really embrace refraction. Drk I disagree that opticians will be used in refraction in the medical setting, that is why opt tech and COTs/COMTs exist (Broader scope and possibly cheaper labor). Here I go may be throwing the first punch in this civilized conversation, I believe Opticians should embrace refraction independently. The fact that opticians will be refracting will not lead to an epidemic of undetected disease. Optometry does not want to refract as they have evolved to be a par to ophthalmologist and sooner rather than later will they gain surgical privileges. On the other hand I do need to keep prescriptions coming in order to pay my employees and pay my taxes. The legislature, the american public and the amount of people coming into the system will want us opticians to refract. It is time to move the cards in our favor. We have to embrace technology or education to accomplish that. I like being self employed and I do like taking care of my patients. I have to always be thinking ahead of how I will survive if my refractionists leaves... It is time to allow opticians refractionists or allow us to employ optometrists directly (protecting the turf by not allowing employment of ODs is anti american) yet it is routinely done in almost all states forcing optician owners to in some shape or other break the law or creating gimmicks like the double lease or worse renting for $1.00 your space so that you can guarantee prescriptions.
    CNG
    Last edited by CNG; 05-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    We have one of the few States that REQUIRE Opticians to know how to refract, but .... I teach at one Opticianry college program and lecture at another....

...and we hire OD's to teach refraction. not Opticians.

Refraction is great for troubleshooting, but Opticians should not refract because of the pathological impacts involved.

Who would want to refract anyway? Its very boring.

Thread Information