Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me...?

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Is it just me...?

...or is eyecare/eyewear becoming too technical for it's own good? Sure, I grasp the new technology and am even jazzed by some of it, but in my opinion there are too many choices (spectacle lenses, for example) and too many different ways of doing things (re: lens measurements). It seems like the "basics" of being an optician or optometrist are being lost amid all the noise of new. Thanks for listening to me vent. What do you think? What's good or not good about all this technology and techniques, and what's not so good? Am I just being an old carmudgeon?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We live in an age of technological and informational overload, but dearth of wisdom, and I daresay good values.

There is value in navigating these times for the benefit of your patients.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    While the technology (gadgets and gizmos) seem to change on a daily basis the underlying principals remain the same. A plus 1 Diopter sphere still comes to a focus at 1 Meter.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    While the technology (gadgets and gizmos) seem to change on a daily basis the underlying principals remain the same. A plus 1 Diopter sphere still comes to a focus at 1 Meter.
    ...unless the digital/freeform calibration was off on the generator...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlen McLean View Post
    ...or is eyecare/eyewear becoming too technical for it's own good? Sure, I grasp the new technology and am even jazzed by some of it, but in my opinion there are too many choices (spectacle lenses, for example) and too many different ways of doing things (re: lens measurements). It seems like the "basics" of being an optician or optometrist are being lost amid all the noise of new. Thanks for listening to me vent. What do you think? What's good or not good about all this technology and techniques, and what's not so good? Am I just being an old carmudgeon?
    I don't think it's become too technical. I do think most of the technology is poorly explained, often intentionally, with the assumption that few will actually be willing to spend the time to investigate. Because the technology changes so rapidly, perhaps we are too willing to have others "think" for us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    +1

There's too much new technology with too little explanation as to its benefits. No one should be expected to adapt to something new without a thorough explanation of and subsequent understanding of its benefits. Reps expect ECPs to start shilling the new technology without even explaining it to the opticians, leaving us at a failure to explain its benefits (and justify the price tag) to patients. Can't tell you how shocked I was recently when I asked a rep what made the company's newest, "greatest" PAL better than the last generation, only to get a "I'll have to check on that."

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    IN MY OPINION (for what its worth):

There is no earthly reason that an optician has to sell every single material, every single coating, every single type of progressive.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    IN MY OPINION (for what its worth):

There is no earthly reason that an optician has to sell every single material, every single coating, every single type of progressive.
    Correct, but we do deserve an honest explanation of the product technology to be able to make distinctions between them.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Correct, but we do deserve an honest explanation of the product technology to be able to make distinctions between them.
    Absolutely, Judy. But at what point does the explanation transcend common knowledge? My take on the OP's question was: with the umpteen hundreds of different progressive designs, and new ones coming out practically every day, hasn't the market reached a saturation point?

Is a wider tunnel a "new design"? Is a higher fitting height "new and improved"?

This is third or fourth hand, but I heard that a high school student studied grocery packaging and advertising. He found that "New and Improved" meant less product and higher cost. Have we reached that point?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Absolutely, Judy. But at what point does the explanation transcend common knowledge? My take on the OP's question was: with the umpteen hundreds of different progressive designs, and new ones coming out practically every day, hasn't the market reached a saturation point?

Is a wider tunnel a "new design"? Is a higher fitting height "new and improved"?

This is third or fourth hand, but I heard that a high school student studied grocery packaging and advertising. He found that "New and Improved" meant less product and higher cost. Have we reached that point?
    We'll never know if we've reached that point until we get cold, hard facts instead of marketing.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    you need to understand, and Judy, I'm sure you're aware of this, most lens reps have little or no technical knowledge to start with and the manufacturers do a poor job at best in some cases explaining and teaching not only their technology, but the newest industry technology to their reps.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do indeed understand that. But ultimately who's at fault? The ECP for buying into "non-informative" information or the manufacturers who know they can get away with it? What has happened to critical thinking?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I do indeed understand that. But ultimately who's at fault? The ECP for buying into "non-informative" information or the manufacturers who know they can get away with it? What has happened to critical thinking?
    Initially, the fault lies with the manufacturers who may possibly want to keep people in the shadows of knowledge and secondly on the ECP's who don't demand it of the manufacturers.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Is it too technical, or is it just getting to the point that only an adequately trained optician can understand it?

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Agree

Absolutely, Judy. But at what point does the explanation transcend common knowledge?
    It depends on what we call common knowledge. A room full of ABOMs may consider a general understanding of optical aberrations to be common knowledge, but it's not. There really is NO common knowledge across this pseudo-profession because we have no common standard of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    Initially, the fault lies with the manufacturers who may possibly want to keep people in the shadows of knowledge and secondly on the ECP's who don't demand it of the manufacturers.
    You said earlier that lens reps often have little or no technical knowledge, but you're a seasoned ABOM, and an amateur may think the same lens rep is a guru. I think the reasons for the lack of information coming from reps is because there isn't much demand for it.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Be a professional and keep up with things that's your job. Maybe that's what CE is for....?

Houses are still built in the same manner, but the technology and procedures have changed. Spectacles are no different.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a fine line to walk here and I find myself agreeing with Judy and Randle on so many of the points discussed above that I couldn't begin to bullet point them.

I fully embrace the training I recieved from all of the older, wiser, and more skilled Opticians I have had to pleasure to know. I appreciate the simplicity of a good POW and proper attention to all facets of spectacle fabrication regarding measurements, edging, and asthetic detail.

That being said I do love some of the new technological advances being made, especially with PALS. As someone who understands how lenses used to be surfaced versus how they are made now- I am intrigued and excited by the technology and the fabrication process. The problem I have is that many reps don't know as much about their lenses as I would like them to know and they expect me to take their marketing jargon as gospel truth. The Unity rep threw a hissy fit and left my office one day in a huff because I grilled him too hard on the particulars of the product he was pedalling.

I also am annoyed with the stunning number of "Opticians" I see at seminars and events here in Charlotte who have no clue how the lenses they fit work beyond what the reps tell them, annoyed and frightened for our profession. It's my duty as a career Optician to learn about new advances and to use my previous experience to suss out the winners from the losers. If I sit back on my haunches I will be at a serious disadvantage. It's the world we live in, yet I rely on good, old-fashioned critical thinking to propell all my decisions for my patients.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Wow, lots to digest here, and many good points. I'm answering with another question: If there are too many products, basically each requiring its own set of understanding, and an eyecare professional can't/won't keep up on most if not all of the products already in or being introduced to the marketplace, how is he/she supposed to make a decision on which products to carry?

Occupation
    with everything said, yes, there are a lot of lenses on the market.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's much like an audiophile that invites someone to to listen to the latest in high-tech headphones. You can only hear so much "sharper, clearer, better", but the average person will often say they want the absolute best, and are willing to pay for it.

Who cares if it's way past the point of discernible differences?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, lots to digest here, and many good points. I'm answering with another question: If there are too many products, basically each requiring its own set of understanding, and an eyecare professional can't/won't keep up on most if not all of the products already in or being introduced to the marketplace, how is he/she supposed to make a decision on which products to carry?
    At the end of the day a lot of the new technology mirrors everything else on the market- usually there are one or two features that make one lens a little more unique than the other and I reckon that's only because of patents and the specter of potential lawsuits. It's understanding the fabrication process and then applying a good solid base of Optical knowledge to your decisions that helps guide your hand towards the right lens for the right patient. I believe in fitting multiple brands and styles because of all the choices available.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My question is with all the new fangled techno stuff and fancy equipment to process the orders. We know the price of the glasses has to increase for the patient so that all the new fancy stuff can be paid for. Now with that being said, how many people out there can really truly perceive the "new" difference? Does the difference justify the amount of increase for the glasses? How many of us in the business can perceive it? If we cant, are we just turning into slick sales people selling snake oil? Tough questions I know but we still have to ask them of ourselves and others.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    And how many of your patients have cataracts or ARM or corneal issues that reduce their vision? How confusing it is! Do you "give them the best optics because they really need all the help they can get" or do you "not bother because they can't see that well, anyway"?

Does an improved width of near zone matter on a +1.00 truck driver? Do we really care about off-axis distortion above the 180 if the patient only wears her PALs to read?

Too many variables, so you need a supercomputer: your brain.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    My question is with all the new fangled techno stuff and fancy equipment to process the orders. We know the price of the glasses has to increase for the patient so that all the new fancy stuff can be paid for. Now with that being said, how many people out there can really truly perceive the "new" difference? Does the difference justify the amount of increase for the glasses? How many of us in the business can perceive it? If we cant, are we just turning into slick sales people selling snake oil? Tough questions I know but we still have to ask them of ourselves and others.
    I think if you are familiar with the science behind POW measurements the "fancy equipment" is just an expensive coat rack. I have yet to be impressed with anything beyond my PD stick and that little metal tool from Zeiss that helps me take panto and vertex measurements. You don't need a several thousand dollar do-hickey to fit excellent lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Too many variables, so you need a supercomputer: your brain.
    Precisely.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    The real advancement is in machinery and instruments to work better faster.

The resulting products are mostly the same, but rehashed and renamed.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The real advancement is in machinery and instruments to work better faster.

The resulting products are mostly the same, but rehashed and renamed.
    I'm not so sure about that, Chris; the latest freeform generators are way slower than the 112-H generators I had back in the 70's...

Thread Information