Thread: Pilot Glasses- No frame, monofiliment line

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Pilot Glasses- No frame, monofiliment line

Help! A staff member was at a recent continuing ed class and there was a doctor there that was wearing what he called "Pilot Glasses." The rimless lenses attach to a metal bridge piece, the temples sound a little like a cable style "hook" that goes around the ear but is attached to the lens area with monofilament line. Has anyone ever seen these? Anyone know where they can be purchased?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Twojmom View Post
    Help! A staff member was at a recent continuing ed class and there was a doctor there that was wearing what he called "Pilot Glasses." The rimless lenses attach to a metal bridge piece, the temples sound a little like a cable style "hook" that goes around the ear but is attached to the lens area with monofilament line. Has anyone ever seen these? Anyone know where they can be purchased?
    They were called Suspension Eyewear. Last week, I would have said I hadn't seen one in years, but this weekend I was boxing up used/contributed glasses for the Lion's Club, and there was one there. Blast from the past.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    They were called Suspension Eyewear. Last week, I would have said I hadn't seen one in years, but this weekend I was boxing up used/contributed glasses for the Lion's Club, and there was one there. Blast from the past.
    I fitted a few in the 80's.
    Customers sure got stares when they wore them.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, Suspension Eyewear, really horrible looking things and a pain to replace the temple lines, had to trim them just so. glad they didn't catch on.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Twojmom View Post

I have worn this style on and off for 27 years. First through Lear Vision located in Reno and now here in California.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Cansee Suspension Eyewear people were presenting the frame to the Canadian Armed Forces as an alternative to the gas mask eyewear. The difficulty in adjusting them was the method by which the two side mono filaments were positioned and locked. The lens size was finicky, because it dictated where the monofilaments grazed the cheek/temple areas. This could only create disasters in fit when you smiled. I saw a few in action, but was only an observer/lab dude........ while the veterans sweated the fits.
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I was in the Air Force stationed in Las Vegas when a contractor had a pair and my supervisor was given a card for his wife. I ended up with the card and the rest is history.

Being military, I heard all the jokes. I have also worn them under a gas mask during exercises.
    Last edited by tabl10s; 09-26-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    the glasses that the president wears in PEARL HARBOR

Thread Information