Thread: Hello, taking ABO soon!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Hello, taking ABO soon!

Hello! I hope you don't mind a long, slightly anxious first post.

I am re-entering the field after being a stay at home mom of two active boys for 9 years. Long story short, I graduated from the Opticianry program at Roane State Community College in May 2004. Gave birth to son 1 in Aug. 2004, gave birth to son 2 July 2007. Didn't take ABO, NCLE, or state practical while in school, so not liscensed... yet. Yeah, it's been a while, but I have dusted off the notes, talked with the head of the Opticianry program, hung out in the classroom some, and have been studying to take the ABO. It's mostly come back to me pretty easily. I've applied for jobs in the field, concentrating on lab tech. I realize I need to be LDO to apply for Dispensing Optician jobs. I'm working my way to that. Will take NCLE in Nov., then the state practical. Will be working in a lab as well. I'd love to work with patients again. (I worked with them at the college, also with Remote Area Medical. Have done lab work, as well.)

Any tips for taking the ABO would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried about the math to a point.

Any words of wisdom for re-entering the field after such a long time away would also be appreciated. I realize it's a journey....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations on the Remote Area Medical volunteerism; my wife and I retire at the end of this year and will be doing lots of RAM stuff. We've done 3 so far. Don't sweat the math. The ABO doesn't require any higher math, just arithmetic. Prentice is just multiplication, powers-in-given-meridians questions will be limited to 0-30-45-60-90 degree increments, and so forth. You'll do fine.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Orchid, PM sent.

Occupation
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks. :) In addition to studying my old notes, I am reading Brooks and Borish, System for Opthalmic Dispensing. Will incorporate the help you've given me. :)

Finefocus, RAM is pretty special to me. I haven't done as many as I'd like, but I will do more of the local events. Will start participating in the Lion's Club again as well.

I think I will do ok on the ABO. I'm a little concerned about what comes after that. It looks like there are now apps for most of what I learned from Goggin, not to mention all of the Rx glasses being sold on line with Costal and the like. Is what we do being reduced to a frame stylist with a fancy phone and online sales? Sorry... not trying to make anyone mad, just honestly concerned. I just care about people. About patients. Refuse to see them as just customers. I know that I have a duty to get the their glasses made correctly. I know that requires getting the correct measurements (and I learned to take monocular distance pds, to get the near instead of just assuming 3 in) and fit the frame well for their Rx needs as well as their face. I know I still have a lot to learn, but I care.

I've recently been to the eyedoc with my hubby (who is an aphake who gets 20/20 with a low + Rx) and my son (accomodative esotropia, have patched him, currently has yoked prism) and they only got binocular distance pd for both of them, but they both have adds. Why is this? Is it not correct to use the more accurate monocular measurements and get it right? We don't want to induce prism. *sigh*

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The hardest part for me was remembering all the different formulas. Make sure you know them. I am sure you will do great.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't worry it's a Mickey mouse test that if you do a little studying you shouldn't have a problem!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Well, I survived. LOL I studied to a much harder exam! So, now I wait 8 weeks for the result. So, hopefully that's 2 down, 2 to go. :D Have the Opticianry degree, now hopefully passed the ABO, will take the NCLE in Nov, then sit the state exam. Guess I need to pull out my contacts notes soon. :D

Thread Information