Thread: Confused? Medicine or Optometry?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Confused? Medicine or Optometry?

Hello!
    I am currently in my third year of Optometry and have one more year to go before I graduate, however, I am having second thoughts about my degree. :( I am interested in doing LASIK so I am thinking of going into medical school and then doing a residency in Opthalmology (which is extremely competitive!). If I don't get into Ophthalmology, then I'll be a general physician and that's not really what I want to do... I'm confused!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Last edited by Dr.T; 05-11-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess it would depend on why you are having second thoughts about optometry. What is your motivation for either optometry or ophthalmology?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I guess it would depend on why you are having second thoughts about optometry. What is your motivation for either optometry or ophthalmology?
    Thanks for replying!

I love optometry and I love the patients I see etc etc, but I really would like to do LASIK surgery...In order for me to do that, I would need to do a whole different degree! I'm wondering if it would even be worth it in the end. After med school, if I don't get a residency in ophthalmology, the medicine degree would be pointless (in my opinion, since I want to work in this field).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up, either!

That being said............an interest in tattoing a current prescription, with, pushing a button on a rented laser.............imo is not what ophthalmology is all about. Besides, the money's not in it. See your current low buck ad in your daily paper, with do-not-pay financing till 2019.

If you had said " I want to discover how to cure kerataconus, or presbyopia, or glaucoma, permanently. I want to do surgeries to fix people's sight that have been blinded by accident/a genetic or nutritional deficiency, in the world." Then I would say become an ophthalmologist, if you can hack the training, and time it takes to become one.
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ya that's true! It's ashame that Optometrist's can't perform this!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would not pick a profession based on performing any single procedure. While LASIK is well entrenched, it barely existed 20 years ago, and may be extinct 20 years from now. The 3 Os, and healthcare professions in general, are people/service professions. Be comfortable and happy with that first. Also realize that healthcare today is a highly regulated business.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why are you having second thoughts in your third year? If it's about making as much money as possible, I suggest studying how to make money instead of studying eyecare.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up, either!

That being said............an interest in tattoing a current prescription, with, pushing a button on a rented laser.............imo is not what ophthalmology is all about. Besides, the money's not in it. See your current low buck ad in your daily paper, with do-not-pay financing till 2019.

If you had said " I want to discover how to cure kerataconus, or presbyopia, or glaucoma, permanently. I want to do surgeries to fix people's sight that have been blinded by accident/a genetic or nutritional deficiency, in the world." Then I would say become an ophthalmologist, if you can hack the training, and time it takes to become one.
    I would not pick a profession based on performing any single procedure.
    Great answers both. That's the angle I was looking at. Why? And why Lasik? Why go through all that, and utilize such a narrow component of a vast field?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information