Thread: What to do with year's supply of contact lenses my patient can't use and I can't sell

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

What to do with year's supply of contact lenses my patient can't use and I can't sell

I have a year's supply of Biotrue 1 day lenses that my patient cut the upc from...so I can't sell them. I hate to throw them in the trash. Is there anywhere to donate them or any other ideas of what to do with them?
    Thanks!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cecenk View Post
    I have a year's supply of Biotrue 1 day lenses that my patient cut the upc from...so I can't sell them. I hate to throw them in the trash. Is there anywhere to donate them or any other ideas of what to do with them?
    Thanks!!
    If you returned boxes that were in anyway unsellable - you just bought them yourself. Eat it...

...and learn.

Sucks Man.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm not looking for sympathy or a lesson or a way to make money from them. I'm looking for a way to donate them or do something charitable with them so they don't go to waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    If you returned boxes that were in anyway unsellable - you just bought them yourself. Eat it...

...and learn.

Sucks Man.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Charitable CLs? I don't think so.

I've had this issue about not wanting to waste perfectly good contact lenses, but it ends up in the same ballpark as all those yummy cheeseburgers McDonald's throws away...The behavior is more damaging than the waste of product.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you have EMR search your patient database for the same RX and offer them the free supply with a CL fitting.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    If you have EMR search your patient database for the same RX and offer them the free supply with a CL fitting.
    Brilliant! I love it when people use their thinking caps!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Except that a patient would have to be nuts to accept a supply of opened boxes and think they were safe/untampered - no matter what the dispenser says. It flies in the face of ethical dispensing at the absolute least, and may in fact be questionable from a legal standpoint as well. Ask yourself this: Would you offer the same to a lawyer? If you hesitate in the slightest, rethink, and plan a different tack.

Don't think anyone was looking to offer sympathy/money making schemes - but there is a lesson to be gleaned from your experience. The only question remaining is if it sunk in. I cannot think of any scenario that would justify pushing opened boxes of CLs on someone else. Maybe, and I mean maybe...you might convince a doc doing some far away third world humanitarian trip that they could use them - but it's not likely. The potential for complications and harm in those scenarios are far too great, and doesn't make for a good humanitarian.

The situation is what it is. You have, in effect, purchased a now unsellable supply of CL's.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    they'll be good for a few years. Use them as trials.

In the future -- don't return product the patient has damaged. I certainly don't. Especially after they've already gotten a REBATE on the product!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they within +/- 2.00, I'll wear them myself. Sure, I might go through a few stop signs, and I can't always read my texts, but hey, free is free!

One option, depending on the power, is to donate them to a local hospital for bandage lenses. A local urban hospital used to beg me for anything I could get.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's the power?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I have heard of veterinarian's offices using contacts to help eyes heal. They prefer low powers. You can always call the animal clinic closest to you to see if they could use them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    FYI: An office in the NY just posted this on their FB page:
    "If anybody has an active Proclear 1 Day -5.00 Rx, I have a full box here for FREE!!! Who wants them?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't think of anything except what others have said. But as an FYI I would note for future reference that anyone that cuts tears or what ever the boxes that they are not returnable and give them the note and stick one in there file.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Donate to an opticianry school in your area.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't have taken them back. They got their rebate already, so they need to wear them. I don't take back opened, damaged or expired boxes.
    Donate to Optician or Optometry college program. They can at least use them to examine on the eye. Or you can use them yourself when/if you do a CL teach for demonstrating inside-out and how to insert, etc.

Thread Information