Thread: Lens Allergy?!?!?

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused Lens Allergy?!?!?

Patient is coming in to order sun rx. Her multiple calls have been regarding materials. She says she has an allergy- sounds like a chemical reaction ie. she shouldn't be around chem. smells, perfumes, new carpeting smells, etc. There is absolutely no contact with the skin. So she has been working with some type of allergist (not sure if MD, homeopathic...) who helps her determine what materials in life affect her. I'm reserving judgement, but have any of you worked with somebody like this? She asked and I gave her a couple of poly and 1.67 lenses for her to test with her doc (?). Result- poly is ok and she reacts to the 1.67. I don't know the details of her reactions yet- she is coming in today or tomorrow.

I've tried explaining about reactions to materials when in contact with the skin, ie. temples, pads, bridges. But lenses? I tried to stretch this a little and think about the elements to the A/R coatings, but her tests proved that the A/R was not the factor.

Anybody out there see this (or smell this?) I know I haven't heard of everything, but really?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sulfur allergy to 1.67? Once edged however I don't think there is any out-gassing but I could be wrong.

Of course nickel is an issue in a lot of patients and I've also found vinyl pads cause vapor problems. Is she allergic to cheap shower curtains?

I'd want to know the allergists qualifications and if an MD was involved. Some people feel they have to live near Mt. Shasta because of it's healing properties and who am I to judge if it makes them feel better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirlian_photography

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Allergic to lenses? Well that's a new one. Is she sticking them in her eye. Me thinks she needs a different dr. if you get my drift.

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sticking them in her eye? Doctor's orders?
    But when she comes in I'll post whatever I learn. I'm trying reaallllllly hard to be open minded about this.
    As for the outgassing idea for the 1.67- I agree and purposely gave her lenses that had been around a while to make sure she had lenses that have been "aired out."
    I'll post any new information.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stating the obvious- it is pollen season.

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, I have a very similar patient. No, there is no practical solution ;)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    She's not the first case I've heard of. I think it was discussed on here before. I'm not sure if it's legit, but she's your problem, buddy.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...t=allergy+lens

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It could be she suffers from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. So while it isn't a "true" allergy per se, she is very sensitized and reacts with minute (talking less than 1 ppm) amounts of different chemicals.

A 1.67 lens could be giving just enough of that sulfur smell off to cause her to react. Its not uncommon for those suffering from MCS to react to something others can not even detect.

http://www.multiplechemicalsensitivi...sitivity-3.php
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've also had a patient be reactive to a pair of glasses. Plastic frame and I believe 1.67 with a/r. I think I removed the a/r.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Simple answer: put her in glass lenses. There will be no allergy problem at all when you use mineral glass instead of organic plastic.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Not properly or 100% cured plastic materials can leach some chemicals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Most AR lenses are degassed, then Hardcoated. Degassing is basically baking them and should accelerate the aging of the material as it removes the water. The hard coat if its thermally cured will have less VOC than a spin coat, and reducing VolitleOrganic Compounds is a help.

But again Mike is correct, Glass is your best bet.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have actually run into this a few times in my almost 40 years in this business. Glass lenses in a titanium frame is the way to go. Before titanium was popular I would use a gold filled frame. I used to be able to get gold filled nosepads as well but now I use either titanium pads or bohemian crystal pads. Both are available from Hilco. Hope this helps.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Ummm...I wouldn't recommend Titanium frames and glass lenses. Because Titanium doesn't have any "give", you can end up with chipped lenses. Stainless would be a better option.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Any plastic material can leach chemicals and affect the ones that are sensitive .....

Any plastic material not specifically tested for use inside the body (a 2-3years FDA process and test with implants on a few hundred people) can leach chemicals and affect the ones that are sensitive or allergic. Many people are also sensitive and allergic to certain metals.

I have already 30 years ago developed a polysoloxane coating, (my favorite base material as it comes from silicone which is a totally non allergenic tem) that can totally stop any allergic reactions to plastic and metals.

Opticians should be a lot more serious about such items as allergic reactions and other special points that no on-line optical can touch as they do not have any personal contact with their customers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Introducing the new Optimetalanium...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Ummm...I wouldn't recommend Titanium frames and glass lenses. Because Titanium doesn't have any "give", you can end up with chipped lenses. Stainless would be a better option.
    I pine for the days before the first middle east oil embargoes (early 70's) when gold fill and plating was common.

On the flip side they could always be soldered and brought back to good as new.

Built in obsolescence.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked with a very sensitive patient and found that Trivex lens and Stainless steel frome was best. (Titanium was out, can't remember why.) Good luck, these patients can be very time consuming but worth it as they will tell all of their friends that have the same problems, and more business should come your way!
    I came, I saw, I left

Thread Information