Thread: 3d Frame "Printing"

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

3d Frame "Printing"

Some time ago there was a thread expressing interest in fabricating custom ophthalmic frames in house. Staples is going to be selling 3D printers in a store near you real soon now.

http://www.wbjournal.com/article/201...130509979/1002

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember from the previous thread that material availability was a concern. Does anyone know if there are newer materials available? I still think this could be the wave of the future. I could see whole companies dedicated to selling blueprints.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Material is still the concern although some companies are using it. I agree with you that there will be companies selling the coding to make (print) your own in shop, I said that a couple of years ago. Things will get right and it will happen in the not too distant future. Custom sizes, colours and patterns will all be possible.

The 'Cube' that Dick showed has a make table that is too small for most frames. I am looking at this one to start although I think better equipment will be designed and made for this.

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

Also read this about 3D printing in the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...pair-home.html
    Last edited by Jacqui; 05-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love how the possibilities of 3d printing. I can see a day when places like Kinkos have 3d printing stations where you bring your own media.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    I love how the possibilities of 3d printing. I can see a day when places like Kinkos have 3d printing stations where you bring your own media.
    According to what I heard at a big box recently, it's not far away

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    Shape ways does this now you design they print and ship to you. I don't think the average optician has the requisite knowledge to go from conceptual idea to a prototype.

If everyone is under the impression that this is the wave of the future what are you doing about it, NOW.

I have personally spent the last year to two learning CAD and immersing myself in that world so I can leave the rest of you guys in the dust, but I encourage everyone to continue their pursuits of basic optics and fitting, maybe you missed some minutiae of optics that may serve you well for that 1 in a million customer. Good luck. ; )

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    I first became familiar with 3D printers when the architecture firm I was with implemented REVIT/BIM modeling several years ago. Recently, I met with grad students who designed and produced prototypes of eyewear on a 3D printer. Great for prototypes, but not for day-to-day wear (however day-to-day wear was not the goal). There appears to be many challenges with 3D printing, especially in terms of the materials. However, if durable, aesthetically pleasing materials are developed, I could see 3D being something of niche for eyewear designers to produce limited collections. Individuals could conceivably produce their own designs modified from basic patterns.

3d has a way to go in terms of technology if it is to be competitive with conventional acetate, metal, injection moulding, etc. Very cool stuff and it will be interesting to see this technology develop.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    yeah, my concern was what kind of plastic are we printing here? Not all materials are suitable for ophthalmic frames. Prototyping, sure. Designing, sure. Mass manufacturing?? not yet.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    yeah, my concern was what kind of plastic are we printing here? Not all materials are suitable for ophthalmic frames. Prototyping, sure. Designing, sure. Mass manufacturing?? not yet.
    This is what I've been saying. The most common plastics are ABS and PLA, neither of which is good for frames. What I was thinking about doing with one is prototyping.

Mykita, Ron Arrad and Make Optical are using a nylon for 3D printing frames commercially. It is a very strong material and would make good frames, but it is impossible to put in a temple core and the stuff won't polish.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 05-07-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    It is a very strong material and would make good frames, but it is impossible to put in a temple core and the stuff won't polish.
    As nylon temples are injection molded a temple core could be positioned within the mold prior to shooting the mold. It should not be necessary to polish a nylon part as it will come out of the mold with a mirror finish or whatever texture is desired. You do have to have some talent to injection mold nylon but it should not be too difficult.

Remember Criss ??? and Nylor??? back in the day?

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I try hard not to.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    As nylon temples are injection molded a temple core could be positioned within the mold prior to shooting the mold. It should not be necessary to polish a nylon part as it will come out of the mold with a mirror finish or whatever texture is desired. You do have to have some talent to injection mold nylon but it should not be too difficult.

Remember Criss ??? and Nylor??? back in the day?
    When used in a 3D printer like we're talking about, the nylon comes out with a surface that looks like it was sand blasted and won't polish properly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Get ready for the next new style...matte finish. Actually, at the recent NY Auto Show, I was surprised to see the number of cars sporting a matte paint finish. Supposed to be the latest craze.

Thread Information