Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Finished these +8.50 1.74 transitions lenses in a Rimless!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Looks amazing. Why not Seiko for + lens?
    I am not a fan of drilling surfaced 1.74 as it flakes so easy and tends to break down the line.
    The edge of .5 is great in freeform.
    Thanks for all the compliments, including yours Craig. I know you luv Trivex, but that index in this RX would not cut it (I think!)

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Edge thickness of 0.5mm would certainly be an issue to me as well *if the temples did not have a spring hinge. With a spring hinge I may have tried it too. IMHO Drilling glass doesn't really compair as the strength of the drill point is what is at question not the art of drilling. Nice job cosmetically for sure, hope it holds up for the patient. If not 1.0mm min edge thick would look nice as well.
    Yeah, a 1.0mm FE would have been ok too. But...labs are notorius for wanting to avoid spolilage (NOT BREAKAGE), and if they produce a lens the "account thinks is too thin" they eat the lens, so they are biased to make thicker lenses. That said, I tend to specialize in drilling materials that other might say no to. I just had a client call me for new lenses for two pairs of Minima rimless progressives. Both pairs were done 4 years ago. Both were done in CR 39. The Rx is -0.50 sph/+2.50 add. They're still intact. The mounting, the drilling/workmanship AND the client handling all play a role in longevity, IMHO.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 05-02-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    No. Maybe. Still checking. Yes, as of 2012. My rough calculation shows you can just get +11 D on a +8 BC with a 1.74 index by using a plano back curve, or locally plano at the NRP.
    You're right. It did look damn flat. Are you saying Barry is using stuff I can't get my stock lens hands on? What else is new lol. I need to learn so much because I love making the best glasses I can. :cheers:

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Yeah, a 1.0mm FE would have been ok too. But...labs are notorius for wanting to avoid spolilage (NOT BREAKAGE), and if they produce a lens the "account thinks is too thin" they eat the lens, so they are biased to make thicker lenses. That said, I tend to specialize in drilling materials that other might say no to. I just had a client call me for new lenses for two pairs of Minima rimless progressives. Both pairs were done 4 years ago. Both were done in CR 39. The Rx is -0.50 sph/+2.50 add. They're still intact. The mounting, the drilling/workmanship AND the client handling all play a role in longevity, IMHO.

B
    I can't think of any clients I know with such a high correction in this direction that don't fumble with things reaching for them without their glasses. I don't doubt the craftsmanship or skill that went into making this pair and I too don't have an issue with drilling CR especially if its a minus but man, I would have a hard time getting to sleep at night. One fumble and those things are toast. I don't mean any disrespect.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I remember as a young pup I used to surface lenses to their limit, it always looked great but the functionality was sacrificed. I don't know your clients reaction but I remembered tears in certain circumstances. I was both proud and arrogant.

My concerns with this eyewear 1.74 is notoriously brittle.
    Secondary that frame as you mentioned later on is rodenstock, at least 4+ years old.
    Third I question why a 1.74 transition physio drx the equivalent of a Ferrari engine would be fitted into a geo metro of a frame. In the grand scheme of things a new frame would have been a wise choice here.
    Last but not least as I was signing up for Wes conference for the opticianry summit, I read over the research paper on online eyewear. 20%+ lenses produced online don't meet the FDA drop ball standard, that standard is referenced in ANSI so the glasses made here might not meet ANSI and I must say the artisan comment is right because they are gorgeous but they are literally tenths of a mom away from being medical devices.

As a salesman I applaud you, because that patient will have the hardest time finding anyone willing or capable of producing a similar product, kudos to a client for life.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If this pair is a time bomb, then I bear the responsibility of the ensuing wait. I did advise the client that these need to be handled carefully, and that errant grandchildren and overly-loving hugs from friends and family are mortal predators.

A former employee of mine has been quoted as saying that I make eyewear "dangerously thin."

BTW, I prefer both the old Minima mtgs and the Rodenstocks to many of today's new ones. But I will admit my experience with many boutique mountings is limited at best.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I can't think of any clients I know with such a high correction in this direction that don't fumble with things reaching for them without their glasses. I don't doubt the craftsmanship or skill that went into making this pair and I too don't have an issue with drilling CR especially if its a minus but man, I would have a hard time getting to sleep at night. One fumble and those things are toast. I don't mean any disrespect.
    None taken and a valid counterpoint.

B

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper grew up drilling in the age of glass ............................

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

Remember, I grew up drilling in the age of glass.

..........so did I, and I would like to say that this looks like a perfect job to me.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Looks great - hope it doesn't craze within 6 months like most of their coatings.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
    looks great - hope it doesn't craze within 6 months like most of their coatings.
    +1!

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally, I think the biggest edging challenge back in the days of glass was trying to put 8 Base glass STOCK lenses in the +2.75 range into a Liberty all-aluminum, flat-metal 1/2 eye with the split metal eyewire...with chipping the lenses or leaving eyewire-to-lens gaps.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, they LOOK real nice! Be sure to post the pic of them when they come back in with the endpieces in one hand and the front in the other. It's going to happen!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SO I have to wonder - with companies like Ice Tech using their zone thinning/blending tech to make lenses thinner...could an opposite tack be taken here? Could a skilled and capable tech with the right equipment create a lens like this that thickened that outer 2mm or so from the temporal edge to add that extra half mm or 1 mm to the very edge, and seamlessly blend it in with the rest of the optic?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    SO I have to wonder - with companies like Ice Tech using their zone thinning/blending tech to make lenses thinner...could an opposite tack be taken here? Could a skilled and capable tech with the right equipment create a lens like this that thickened that outer 2mm or so from the temporal edge to add that extra half mm or 1 mm to the very edge, and seamlessly blend it in with the rest of the optic?
    There r a number of companies poised to offer just this type of service very soon.

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Nice work Barry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Barry, they LOOK real nice! Be sure to post the pic of them when they come back in with the endpieces in one hand and the front in the other. It's going to happen!
    I promise I will post here as soon as I know.

B

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just out of curiosity, how is it you can do a job like this but you can't get 1.9 glass with a 1 CT like we can up here?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Very nice Job ,carefully edged and assembled.I was wondering if this was a front side progressive design,since a backside would have left the reading zone ectremely flat.Actually the picture seems very flat.

I am impressed with your work ,well done.

Thread Information