Thread: Patients or Customers?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Patients or Customers?

What do you call your punters?

I dislike both terms for opposing reasons. 'Client' nearly works but is too reminiscent of hairdressers. What works for you?

Shana Tova - Happy New Year

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Down Hear. we just calls him da kicker.

Bad address email on file
    i use 'client'

'patient' is too doctor related

'customer' makes you sound like your out for a quick buck, and not for the consumers benefit

'client' sounds professional and like you are happy to provide your time to them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use either "client", especially when they bring in an outside RX.
    If they see our doctor, I usually refer to them as "patient"

vicki

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Since they are seeking a medical service (assuming that's what everyone considers being fit for an ophthalmic device), I've always called them "patients."

Whatever they're called, I create glasses for them, they give money to me, and everyone is happy!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

IMHO, "patient" is a person under the care of a doctor and his staff. those folks filling a doctors perscription for services relative to the "patient's" aid, are not the doctor's staff. to those folks, the "patient" is now a "client". the pharmacy or medical supplier, or opticianry, have a clientele, or clients, not patients. we are an optical shop that fills rxs for our client's eyewear, in a "retail" setting, with real physical products, frames and lenses. we "sell" custom-made eyewear, based on an eye doctor's refraction results and recommendations. our clientele have the free will to take the dr's and/or our recommendations, or to shop around in the marketplace. they are subject to marketing and retailing issues, as well as professional services. they have their doctor's
    Rx, so that they can "comparison shop" the marketplace. they are CLIENTS.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    PATIENT works well for telemarketers..........

Ring Ring....!@#$%^&*()
    Reply - "I'm sorry, I have a PATIENT in the room right now Mary, will you hand me the LAZER"

They usually excuse themself quickly.

On a more serious note:

I also like to use the word CLIENT since it has the cognative effect of receiving a professional service. I also believe PATIENT is appropriate providing you have a relationship with the doctor so that the terminology remains consistent.

However, If you asked your patronage about your mutual relationship I would guess most would consider themselve's to be CUSTOMERS.

Kevin

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some places they should be called "suckers". Some places they should be called "friend."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I fit them they are patients.
    When they are write the check I call them customers.

OptiBoard Apprentice classicz68's Avatar
    I call my people PATIENTS we are healthcare professionals, we are not selling car insurance.

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    Patients as I work in a hospital environment, fit medical contact lenses, prescribe LVAs etc.

However I still called them patients when I worked in private practice. Theymight have been customers out in the dispensing area but they are always patients in my consulting room.

I don't like clients it sounds you're about to inhume someone for them!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CLIENT

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why are we having this debate and who cares? Will it really make any difference in our lives. He's the one with the need and the money.

Chip

Or even she!

I suppose the importance of words is that they indicate context.How we describe our patients/customers/clients says a lot about how we think about them.

If I see a patient I provide health care and my advice will be based on the best interests of the patient. If I see a customer I will sell them something that makes me a profit (and hopefully is also in the best interests of the customer.)Certainly I see a big difference between how I would feel about a patient and a customer.

To use an old example in some languages the word for stranger also means enemy, words and their use are more powerful than we think sometimes.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Tim, you said that "certainly I see a big difference between how I feel about a patient and a coutomer". I'm not so sure I can draw a line between them. First, the "patient" with the docs new rx, likely will benefit from 1, the power change, 2. new lenses that are unscratched, 3. the opportunity to correct any problems with the old ones that he may have been unhappy about(segs too high/low/narrow/wide; multifocal design.) 4. the opportunity to "try" pal lenses, 5. the opportunity to "try" the new transitions lenses that are so much better, 6. the opportunity to get a bigger/smaller frame. 7. the opportunity to get those polarized sun lenses, 8. the opportunity to get some occupational computer lenses. So, when the doc says, "there isn't enough rx change to make a difference". Is that "what's in the best interest of the "patient"? Now, as a "client", my job is to act as a liason between the clients desires for improved eyewear whether it's a "new" rx or not. the eyewear is apparel, to be worn on the face, so it has "fashion", comfort, and vision aspects. I do not "pressure" folks, but give them "choices and educate them about what each choice my/or not benefit them. then I respect their choice. people are paying rather dearly these days for "what they want", but sometimes are mostly naive. one of the biggest wastes in the industry is refracting error remakes, and inept fitting is a distant second. but our "clients" understand that we are a "business", that we operate our "business" profitably, just as the "doctor's office" does. there are always "economic" issues. you can always "advise what's in the best interest of the patient"; but what is that? How do you know? Is it in their best interest to have eyewear that is "properly fit"? a suitable color? appropriate size? safe to wear? with a comfortable range of vision, at all distances? that deal with glare/reflections? are durable, and warranted? or, should they have the most inexpensive, utilitarian glasses, so they can save up their hard earned money to buy a $10,000, 50" plasma flat screen TV to hang on their den wall? So, I think I feel entirely the same about how I "feel" about our clients/patients. I appreciate each opportunity to be of service, any way possible. they are mostly friends of over 20 + years who are their doctor's "patient", and our "client".

OptiBoard Apprentice classicz68's Avatar

Wink

Well after all that you have your "clients" and we still have our "Patients" What I'm saying is if you like calling your people clients then so be it, and if you like calling your people patients than hey go for that, there is no right or wrong. Everybody is entitled to have their own opinion and that's what makes the world go round. So smile and be happy!
    Last edited by classicz68; 09-12-2002 at 08:42 PM.

Texas Ranger I respect your right to regard people as patients/clients or customers. There is certainly nothing wrong with providing a service or making a profit from the provision of that service. I think the interesting aspect of this discussion is what it says about us.

For me the discussion is about how we each feel about describing the people we deal with and how it makes us feel about ourselves. It makes me feel better to deal with patients, when I worked in a Bingo Hall I worked with customers, I felt comfortable about that. That's an easy distinction to make I do think it's more difficult in a healthcare profession. Maybe it says a lot about the self image I build for myself that I like to think of myself as seeing patients. :D

Here's hoping all our customers/clients/patients listen to our advice and keep us smiling.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Main Entry: patient
    Function: noun
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : an individual awaiting or under medical care and treatment b : the recipient of any of various personal services
    2 : one that is acted upon

Main Entry: cli·ent
    Pronunciation: 'klI-&nt
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French client, from Latin client-, cliens; perhaps akin to Latin clinare to lean -- more at LEAN
    Date: 14th century
    1 : one that is under the protection of another : DEPENDENT
    2 a : a person who engages the professional advice or services of another <a lawyer's clients> b : CUSTOMER <hotel clients> c : a person served by or utilizing the services of a social agency <a welfare client> d : a computer in a network that uses the services (as access to files or shared peripherals)

Main Entry: cus·tom·er
    Pronunciation: 'k&s-t&-m&r
    Etymology: Middle English custumer, from custume
    Date: 15th century
    1 : one that purchases a commodity or service
    2 : an individual usually having some specified distinctive trait <a real tough customer>

Take your pick, I think they all apply pretty well... I did list them in the order of my personal preference, however.
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Patients/Customers/Clients

You know, this is actually something that I discuss in some of my classes that I teach. It really doesn't matter what you CALL the people that you take care of....it matters HOW you TREAT them.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The reason I asked the question in the first place is because I have recently noticed a number of people reacting in different ways when being referred to by myself or another member of staff.

Traditionally I have called them 'patients' for no better reason than because that's what they were called at University and continued to do so. I haven't given it much thought until now.

I don't care what we call them internally (and how it makes US feel) - you should only know how I refer to some people! - but how we refer to them in front of them. I have noticed some people flinch when referred to as patients. After all, they're not ill, and I don't consider it in the slightest demeaning of our profession to acknowledge this simple fact.

Chip - The majority of these threads are of the chewing-the-fat variety. It's good to talk and discuss and share ideas. To dismiss this discussion as you did is demeaning to virtually all discussion on the boards. I don't know you from a bar of soap, but you seem to be well respected by others (often to the point of sycophancy) so why dismiss this topic?

It's good to question time-honoured practices. One of the worst reasons to do something is 'because we've always done it like that'. I'm not asking for anybody to tell ME what to call people, I'm simply asking what YOU call them.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Spurs, we haven't met, so hello.

Out here in Israel, we refer to them as PATIENTS ........... the only reason being that you need a ton of PATIENCE to deal with them.

They all know better than you, right down to the axes on their last 4 pairs of specs.

And a Shana Tova etc to you!!

Clive

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar
    We have never had someone walk into our office and tell us that they or their family members are good patients....Its always WE ARE YOUR BEST CUSTOMER....I really could care less what we call them as long as they pay the bill and lets not forget the PITA that every office has................no one has mentioned that yet

Enjoy
    Mikol
    :cheers:

Thread Information