Thread: Navigator progressive

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Navigator progressive

What's your impression of this progressive?

I recently got a pair of Navigator Short progressives. I wanted to try them since we use it as as budget lens. I also recently got a pair of Varilux S 4D and Zeiss Indivdual 2, both of those were free.

I can't tell the difference! Now I find I can wear any progressive but there have been a few I've liked less. I didn't care the Varilux Ellipse that much for example. And I can tell the reading area on the Image isn't as wide.

I know the Varilux and Zeiss lenses should be better but for me they aren't. My add is 2.25 and i have a lower minus correct with some cylinder.

What are your experiences?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I fit a family member in the Navigator polar for her first pair of polar. PAL suns she loved them. I bumped the add +0.25 and actually fit it at 17. She came back a few years later for new suns, we had switched to using the Image polar. as our polar. PAL offering, she hated the Image. Ordered a Navigator and she loves them now. Her everyday pair are a Varilux (can't remember what design) has no issues going back and forth.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

I recently got a pair of Navigator Short progressives. I wanted to try them since we use it as as budget lens. I also recently got a pair of Varilux S 4D and Zeiss Indivdual 2, both of those were free.

I can't tell the difference! Now I find I can wear any progressive but there have been a few I've liked less. I didn't care the Varilux Ellipse that much for example. And I can tell the reading area on the Image isn't as wide.

I know the Varilux and Zeiss lenses should be better but for me they aren't. My add is 2.25 and i have a lower minus correct with some cylinder.

I am suprised that you like this lens so much particularly because of your add power.
    I believe this is a soft design lens who's abberations become more apparent in the higher adds.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not noticing any "abberations". The side vision isn't any better or worse then the other progressives.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not noticing any "abberations". The side vision isn't any better or worse then the other progressives.
    I wanted to try an entry level progressive a few years back so I made a pair of Navigators up for myself.
    Vision was fine as long as you were looking straight at the object. Trying to use them in the store, I found myself having to get right over the phone in order to dial out and had to move my head alot while using the computeretc. Told the story a million times to illistrate what the differences and benefits of free-form progressives have.

Have you tried any of the new advanced technological lenses?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I performed an evaluation of two budget PALs about two years ago- Shoreview and Navigator. Both materials were cr39, using the manufacturer's recommended BCs, standard length corridor, same frame and Rx (-4.50 +2.00 x 180 add +2.25). One of the designs felt comfortable initially, the other design had what felt like significant tunnel vision or barrel distortion, probably due to off-axis power error. The comfort level was extremely low; so much so that I didn't proceed with any further evaluation. The other lens was satisfactory across the board- initial and long term comfort, on and off-axis vision, etc.

I won't say which lens design performed poorly, after all, it has been two years and the designs may have changed, although that seems unlikely. I would recommend that everyone blind test the products that you place in front of your client's eyes.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Please oh please make a little hint...

Could you sea better out of one?

Was one smoother sailing?

(What's with the nautical terms, anyway?)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have about 8 pairs now of glasses, all different progressives. I always "testdrive" a budget brand before I start selling them. I have rejected about 4.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Have you tried any of the new advanced technological lenses?
    Yes, my other new glasses are the Varilux S4D and the Zeiss Individual 2. They are both great but I swear I like the Navigator Shorts just as well. I have sat and compared the 3 pairs and I'm not seeing any difference. The size of the areas are the same. The distance width is the same. None are swimmy.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Please oh please make a little hint...

Could you sea better out of one?

Was one smoother sailing?

(What's with the nautical terms, anyway?)
    There's more in store,
    When you're closer to shore,
    In our yellow submarine.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    John, Paul, George, Ringo, and Robert, the fifth Beatle.

Gotcha! Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not trying to tell anybody here their business, but I have often found that when there is a complaint of too much horizontal distortion, the progressive has been fit a bit high for reasons like...getting more add, or getting to full add more quickly. Add power has got to be right, height has got to be right... Either use more add power or use a short corridor...

Thread Information