If not anything from the US that's modern ie not Shuron

Thanks
    Gib

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I know a couple guys out east that will be manufacturing in Canada hopefully before year end. Check out Anvi Frieze based out of Ventura California for US based manufacture.

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks edKen
    I'd like to offer clients a Cdn. frame option. Hopefully CC doesnt scoop it up first.
    Can you let us/optiboard know when/if it happens.

Gib

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I will. Closest I can get are Canadian designers but nobody actually manufacturers anything here....yet.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    BTW

I recall that Swap frames (Dragons' Den fame) were made in Canada for a time. When I called the BC rep, she was leaving them so no one called back for a while. I called the head office and was told they had switched production to Italy. This is all circa 2011.

Anyone out there had experience with the Cdn made Swap frames?

Regards
    Gib

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Start waking up to the game of designer names....................................

Actually since the only Canadia frame manufacturer closed it doors about 50 - 60 years ago (American Optical in Quebec), nobody manufactured frames in Canada, and nobody will in the near future.

As far I know, there no optical frame designers in Canada. Frame designers work in frame factories and turn out one frame after another as amples. If a model is liked by a wholesaler they produce it and call it any name the purchaser wants. Designer names are given and paid for, after a frame has been produced as a sample.

Start waking up to the game of designer names, which is only a gimmick to sell more expensive all the up the chain.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Actually since the only Canadia frame manufacturer closed it doors about 50 - 60 years ago (American Optical in Quebec), nobody manufactured frames in Canada, and nobody will in the near future.

As far I know, there no optical frame designers in Canada. Frame designers work in frame factories and turn out one frame after another as amples. If a model is liked by a wholesaler they produce it and call it any name the purchaser wants. Designer names are given and paid for, after a frame has been produced as a sample.

Start waking up to the game of designer names, which is only a gimmick to sell more expensive all the up the chain.
    Chris;

I think you may be forgetting Canada Optical located in Deseronto which manufactured frames for Imperial Optical who distributed them.
    Name change to New Wave Optiks.....don't know if they manufacture anymore.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Long gone

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I hear you wrt designer names and markup.
    Just frustrated, as are all consumers, with the fact that nothing is made here.
    No production= no jobs= reduced purchasing power= price as chief motivator in purchasing, not service= less need for providers of services/products ---> positive feedback cycle--->crash--->rebalance: Homeostasis
    What happens when the Chinese cease to be cheap labour? Globalization means moving the production quickly to Vietnam or Loas, when the Chinese get too demanding: wages, safety, healthcare etc But eventually humans will always want for better so.

Sorry lets get back on topic

Gib

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=gibby2020;458148]Hello Optiboarders

There is one person I know who makes custom frames. A gentleman by the name of K.Y. Chan, formerly with the custom frame dept at Imperial optical. If you need a 28mm bridge or something really unique he will make it for you. He has his own company called Fortuna Optical Factory and mainly services the GTA area. This was a while ago but he still may be in business.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Worked with Chan at Imperial for a while and he does high quality and specialty frame manufacturing. A trusted and reliable individual.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby2020 View Post
    I hear you wrt designer names and markup.
    Just frustrated, as are all consumers, with the fact that nothing is made here.
    No production= no jobs= reduced purchasing power= price as chief motivator in purchasing, not service= less need for providers of services/products ---> positive feedback cycle--->crash--->rebalance: Homeostasis
    What happens when the Chinese cease to be cheap labour? Globalization means moving the production quickly to Vietnam or Loas, when the Chinese get too demanding: wages, safety, healthcare etc But eventually humans will always want for better so.

Sorry lets get back on topic

Gib
    This topic probably needs its own thread, but I'll say this then maybe someone will start a new thread.

Chinese labor cost isn't the only reason there are no frame manufacturers left in North America. In my opinion the exodus did not even start with Chinese product. The exodus of North American frame manufacturers actually started with MORE EXPENSIVE EUROPEAN product as I remember it happening.

The North American product was pure junk compared to the quality, styles and colors coming out of
    Italy, France, Austria and Germany . The exodus began with demand for exceptional product at reasonable prices.

Our jobs went to Europeans not the Chinese. It's the Europeans who's jobs then were lost to the Chinese.

At the beginning of the transition, the Chinese product was worse than the worst North American product. The Chinese took over from the Europeans when their frame quality got better.

The North American frame manufacturers were long gone well before the Chinese took over from the Europeans.
    Last edited by idispense; 04-24-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Chris;

I think you may be forgetting Canada Optical located in Deseronto which manufactured frames for Imperial Optical who distributed them.
    Name change to New Wave Optics.....don't know if they manufacture anymore.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Thanks Golfnorth,

I totally forgot about Imperial Optical (the Essilor of their time) and their ventures, their demise in 1987 which was triggered through their own internal corruption.

New Wave Optics is now a OPTICAL INSTRUMENTS & LENSES; OPHTHALMIC GOODS / OPHTHALMIC GOODS, NEC / OPTOMETRISTS EQUIP & SUPLS dealer, located near the Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto.

This lets me to believe that I am the last manufacturer left in the optical trade, that is still alive and kicking in Canada.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post

Our jobs went to Europeans not the Chinese. It's the Europeans who's jobs then were lost to the Chinese.
    The North American product was pure junk compared to the quality, styles and colors coming out of
    Italy, France, Austria and Germany . The exodus began with demand for exceptional product at reasonable prices.

At the beginning of the transition, the Chinese product was worse than the worst North American product. The Chinese took over from the Europeans when their frame quality got better.

Chinese quality was low until the Europeans moved their whole factories including equipment and machinery to China and continued producing there.

The same thing is happening here in Canada in any field. I had a Toronto based Corporation renting in my factory building that had a huge 30 year old machine to coat welding rods with flux. It got sold a few years back to China, dismantled and loaded with cranes into 3 containers and shipped to China, where it got re-assembled and is producing again for a lot cheaper than it ever did in Montreal. My renter left manufacturing in Quebec and I lost a renter.

When prices in China will start to increase, the same thing will happen to them, and it will not be too long. China has become one of the most modern countries in every way and the standard of living is increasing continuously. The next in line will be India which has already started by opening their borders and having many of the huge corporations having installed a base. Essilor and Zeiss are banking heavily on that country and have already a huge presence at this date.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chinese quality was low until the Europeans moved their whole factories including equipment and machinery to China and continued producing there.

The same thing is happening here in Canada in any field. I had a Toronto based Corporation renting in my factory building that had a huge 30 year old machine to coat welding rods with flux. It got sold a few years back to China, dismantled and loaded with cranes into 3 containers and shipped to China, where it got re-assembled and is producing again for a lot cheaper than it ever did in Montreal. My renter left manufacturing in Quebec and I lost a renter.

When prices in China will start to increase, the same thing will happen to them, and it will not be too long. China has become one of the most modern countries in every way and the standard of living is increasing continuously. The next in line will be India which has already started by opening their borders and having many of the huge corporations having installed a base. Essilor and Zeiss are banking heavily on that country and have already a huge presence at this date.

And there is the crux of the matter, as you can see, it wasn't the Chinese that started the job loss nor continues it,they were only at the horses end of the harness, living in the barn .

I wonder how many of us would be appalled at the working conditions today if we actually saw the insides of the factories rather than the outisdes of the buildings ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your are forgetting BC's own awared-winning frame designer at Spectacle Eyeworks
    www.spec.eyeworks.com . Since 1996 this gentleman had been designing unique Canadian frame collections.

Occupation
    Thanks I did add him to my list at ------------------> http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-25-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Your are forgetting BC's own awared-winning frame designer at Spectacle Eyeworks
    www.spec.eyeworks.com . Since 1996 this gentleman had been designing unique Canadian frame collections.
    Sorry, but I misquoted his website adress... this award-winning Canadian frame designer's website can be found at www.spec-eyeworks.com

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't think those are actually made in Canada. There are a lot of great Canadian designers. One of my faves is Cendrine but even her stuff is made in South Korea now.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oh I forgot about Granville Eyeland optical in Vancouver. Formerly owned by Klaus Sebok (sp?).
    When I was in Calgary I would see a course run by a Klaus Sebok on making acetate frames. Kicking myself that I didnt take that course!
    The new owner as taken up the mantle of frame making from Klaus
    Gib

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    How about RAPP in Toronto? Produced in really small numbers though.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Chris: in Montreal there is Anne-Marie Faniel and at least one other designer. I have heard of another in Toronto, but have no more info. Granville Island Framemakers in Vancouver makes a lot of custom frames, almost a production line.

I forgot There is also a small start up in Vancouver, but I think the idea is to design there and have made elsewhere. there is also a designer in Calgary, that I will post when I can find his info.

There are more designers in Canada than I can find in the U.S.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 05-01-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby2020 View Post
    Oh I forgot about Granville Eyeland optical in Vancouver. Formerly owned by Klaus Sebok (sp?).
    When I was in Calgary I would see a course run by a Klaus Sebok on making acetate frames. Kicking myself that I didnt take that course!
    The new owner as taken up the mantle of frame making from Klaus
    Gib
    Sarah is doing some interesting work there, you should check on it.

Thread Information