Thread: Lid Crutch?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Lid Crutch?

My eye MD is looking for a source of lid crutches, his old supplier went out of business. Any thoughts?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The fabrication and fitting of a ptosis crutch used to be within the skill set of a real Optician.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    My eye MD is looking for a source of lid crutches, his old supplier went out of business. Any thoughts?
    Use EBay to buy up all the old Numont/Rimway frames you can find (the real, gold-filled ones); those top rims and a bit of solder make decent ptosis crutches. These days, most people just have a blephie anyway.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    All it takes is a paper clip, ballpoint pen spring and shrink tubing. I've made a bunch of them that way

They are called a ptosis crutch

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Jacqui, that post is what makes Optiboard a gem! Care to describe that in more detail for the rest of the world?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    The fabrication and fitting of a ptosis crutch used to be within the skill set of a real Optician.
    I would assume that as medical technology and the increase of bleph Sx being performed, that the "real" opticians today aren't called upon ptosis crutch construction nearly as much as in decades/centuries past. But when the need arrises, I have a feeling that a good number of us could still fabricate a functional crutch in between our glass lens cribbing operation off in the back room.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just solder on a portion cut from a new/old stock thin rimless temple to the top of the eyewire on the patients frame, then cover it with narrow shrink tube, bend it to shape and I'm done. It does require that the frame be a decent quality metal. No titanium and no color coating as it tends to burn when heated. If you don't have a temple to use check with one of your older labs, they usually have plenty they'd love to sell you.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Jacqui, that post is what makes Optiboard a gem! Care to describe that in more detail for the rest of the world?
    At the bottom of this page is a list of similar threads, check there. I found this one started by Chip Anderson http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...-Ptosis-Crutch

I use the spring instead of making it solid so that an impact won't blind the patient (don't want to be sued for malpractice) I use the paper clip because they are handier to get. On metal frames I will solder to the frame and on zyl I'll just heat the fame and jam the thing into the upper eyewire (it will hold when cooled). You can make lotsa bucks making them especially for M.D.s

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The last one to do it died last year..........................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

I use the spring instead of making it solid so that an impact won't blind the patient (don't want to be sued for malpractice) I use the paper clip because they are handier to get.

I have learned and practised to use gold filled wire soldered onto a hinge plate attached to a plastic frame with rivets and directly soldered to the rim of metal frames. Old metal temple ends are working very well.
    One should use the better grade metal because it touches the skin and will not corrode by the direct contact with the skin. One can also cover them with a nylon tube.

The last guy that used to do them in Montreal with a 4.5 million people area has died last year and nobody did replace him.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The last guy that used to do them in Montreal with a 4.5 million people area has died last year and nobody did replace him.
    I may need to move to Montreal

Thread Information