Thread: Looking for round metal frames

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Looking for round metal frames

One of our M.D.s is wanting us to purchase a large quantity of completely round frames to be used for mission trips. Does anyone know who might supply this? We're also looking for VERY low prices as we'll need several thousand of them.
    We'll also be buying 10,000 sv lenses that would be edged to the round shape, so we can have a full inventory of + - lenses and cyls.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try Europa in their "elements" collection
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For what it's worth.
    I'm sure that since this is missionary work, the eyeglass wearers have little or no access to eyecare. A round frame is not a real good choice for these people, because if a screw becomes even slightly loose, the lens will rotate and will end up off axis in a hurry. A more P-3 shape would be alot better. Just saying!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    also JR vision is god with bulk, usually at very reasonable prices, thats who we use for our "value" collection
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    self delete
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-01-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: overlooked price point...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    For what it's worth.
    I'm sure that since this is missionary work, the eyeglass wearers have little or no access to eyecare. A round frame is not a real good choice for these people, because if a screw becomes even slightly loose, the lens will rotate and will end up off axis in a hurry. A more P-3 shape would be alot better. Just saying!
    Luxottica has a missions that supplies eyeglasses to 3rd world countries and uses this process with very good success. This is the concept we're working from. Guess we'll have to suppy bottles of locktite for the screws, too.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Round shape is ideal for 'mass production' mission work. That way you can have lenses edged and assembled, and just rotate lens for proper axis. Most patients that are in the need of eyeglasses in these situations, are so happy to just be able to see, they don't care about how the glasses look, or even if they aren't 100% perfect. Something is better than nothing. I worked with a woman that volunteered every year with an international mission and said during the 3-5 days they were there, people would wait in line by the hundreds, all day and over night, just for the chance at glasses. They would see thousands of patients every single day, and leave thousands more to wait until next time they came. With that kind of situation, you can't be wasting time on frame shapes and pd's and all the other stuff we normally obsess over every day as opticians.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by vcom View Post
    Round shape is ideal for 'mass production' mission work. That way you can have lenses edged and assembled, and just rotate lens for proper axis. Most patients that are in the need of eyeglasses in these situations, are so happy to just be able to see, they don't care about how the glasses look, or even if they aren't 100% perfect. Something is better than nothing. I worked with a woman that volunteered every year with an international mission and said during the 3-5 days they were there, people would wait in line by the hundreds, all day and over night, just for the chance at glasses. They would see thousands of patients every single day, and leave thousands more to wait until next time they came. With that kind of situation, you can't be wasting time on frame shapes and pd's and all the other stuff we normally obsess over every day as opticians.
    You're absolutely right. I've been on two such mission trips. We have, in the past, taken donated eyeglasses from the Lions' Club. I was responsible for matching up their Rx and the donated pairs. In a lot of the cases, it was, "close will work". Amazing how happy they were to be able to see, even if it wasn't 20/20. They were very thankful for whatever help we could give them.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Also take assorted screws, nuts, bolts, washers, nose pads, temple tips, etc. Many of the people really need repairs more than a new pair. I seen a lot of this in South America, Southwest Asia and Indonesia.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    we use EyedealeyewearDOTcom for our mission work with a homeless shelter, i dont know if i can put their number on here , so its on the website.

Thread Information