Thread: opinions & feedback

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

opinions & feedback

I'm looking for some opinions & feedback ... I've been asked by our Dr. to think of something "EXTRA" we can do for patients that are making "big" purchases (over $1000). We already send out thank you notes to every patient, but he is wondering what else we can do to separate ourselves from other offices. Any ideas that aren't going to break the bank... or kill my Cost of Goods?? (All purchases also get a small bottle of cleaner & a cleaning cloth.)
    thanks in advance
    Last edited by jcmnbogey; 03-28-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Lens Whisperer

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Buy them a lottery ticket!

One of my old lab customers used to give lottery tickets to his patients when a job was delayed for any reason.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Work with a nearby business to gift a service or product, they will probably discount you heavily and return referals. I gave a free car wash (there was a car wash very close).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do $5 Starbucks cards for patients that refer others. We buy them through the Dr's kids school's SCRIP program so it's a win/win.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper at least give them an additional 1 L re-fill of lens cleaner. ......................

Quote Originally Posted by jcmnbogey View Post

Any ideas that aren't going to break the bank... or kill my Cost of Goods?? (All purchases also get a small bottle of cleaner & a cleaning cloth.)

.............to make it simple: For a $ 1000.00 retail sale and over in the optical retail I would at least give them an additional 1 L re-fill of lens cleaner.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Or keep the 1L bottle, and let them keep coming back in for free refills for 12 months.

Or, work with a company to print custom micro cloths with your patient's name, or go cheaper with just a generic initial.

Or, check out a company like Queensboro and have some high-ish quality promo hats/shirts/tech polos made with your logo. Yes...people will be thrilled to advertise for you. **

Or, keep track, and invite _only_ those VIP to a semi-annual event including wine tastings and local food tastings. You can decide if you want to make it a frame marketing event...but you might decide to really wow people and not even display any product. Or even drape/cover your frame boards with some classy fabric to create more of a gallery (and even less of a retail) feel!

Good luck!

** If you do this, let me know and I'll get you a 'referral' discount code.****
    ****(Which also gets me 10 bucks or something.)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Work with a nearby business to gift a service or product, they will probably discount you heavily and return referals. I gave a free car wash (there was a car wash very close).
    With the above quote in mind, try to find a restaurant which will sell you discounted gift certificates. For your idea to work, however, it would be best to not keep the figure too low. Assuming you can find a restaurant owner who will discount 30%, a $50 certificate would cost $35.

Thread Information