Thread: Desperately seeking glasses for eye mission trip

OptiBoard Novice

Do you know where I can find donated readers and sunglasses for our scheduled mission trip Jan.2001? I'm desperate for them. Without 1000 glasses we can't go. Have you been on an eye mission trip before? Where did your glasses come from that you dispensed? Where did you go?

------------------

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Have you tried the local Lions Club, etc?
    That is where we donate all of the glasses that come to us. Hopefully you will get some more ideas.
    Suzy "is it safe to come from under the bed?" Welch

OptiBoard Apprentice

The Lions Club is probably going to be your best bet, just because every opticial that I have worked at would donate their old lenses to them.

Another thing that you might want to try doing is since this is a mission trip, I take you are affiliated with a church? You might want to ask the memebers to donate old eye wear as well.

Your goal of 1000 pairs of glasses is ambitious and I wish you all the best of luck.

Richard "Bored to tears today" S

Rising Star

Hi Lisa;
    You can go to the Lions Club and they can direct you to a Lions Distribution center. They will set you up with as many pair of glasses as you need. It has to be a legitimate mission trip, and they want a few doctors along at least. Why just readers and sunglasses? Good luck

Jim, I hate these long weekends, I am so tired, Seebach

OptiBoard Novice

We've been leading mission trips to 3rd world since 1980,including SCO and SVOSH trips. We've established a permanant eye clinic thru donated equipment, and we've filled most of the shelves with glasses. After the last trip 2/00, we're completely out of SV +1.50 thru +2.50 and no shades either. To complicate the donation issue on used glasses, if one lens differs from the other by more than half a diopter, .50, then they're useless to us. So, about 10 percent of donated prescription glasses are useful.

[This message has been edited by Lisa Kimmich (edited 09-05-2000).]

OptiBoard Apprentice

Dr. Betty Fretz in Listowel, Canada, may be able to help you locate such items. Her husband used to be involved in preparing databases of donated spectacles for some mission groups. You should be able to locate her on the web.
    RP

OptiBoard Novice

I've just got a great new tip from The Lighthouse. They referred me to "New Eyes For The Needy" an org. that collects used eyewear and are willing to donate 1000 non-rx shades and some readers. For anyone else seeking glasses for mission, they're at 973-376-4903 in Short Hills, NJ
    How have I never heard of these folks? They are so eager to help. Of course the Lions Clubs are helping too, so it looks like our needs for mission trip to Honduras Jan.2001 are almost met.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lisa,

You also might want to try Cable Car Co. in Hollister, CA. They mfgr ready made readers and sunglasses and perhaps have a bunch of discontinued product they would be willing to donate. I found them to be great people to work with and very helpful. Suggest you contact Mr. Russ Belleci, VP Sales, Cable Car Eyewear, 1700 Shelton Drive, Hollister, CA 95023. Phone is (408) 637-9300. Feel free to mention that I referred you- Larry Guess, former General Manager of Fedoptics, Inc.

Good Luck!

Bad address email on file blueyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi Lisa, I may not be able to fill your needs, but I am willing to try to help you. Call me at 919-233-2020 in Cary, NC. I work for an Opth., and would love to help you. As a matter of fact, I would like to join you on your mission. Please contact me and let me know how I can help. Deborah

Thread Information