Thread: When to reject or accept minor lens blemishes?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

When to reject or accept minor lens blemishes?

When inspecting lenses, what is acceptable in terms of blemishes? Obviously, any blemish that is clearly visible should be rejected, such as a scratch. What about minor blemishes that are only visible with a bright light background and are not optically disruptive? These are very small, about the size of a speck of dust. We notice these occasionally even on high end ARC lenses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If its extremely minor and I know that it will not get worst over time I leave it up to the patient, a redo will set back a dispense at least a week. I explain to them the situation and I tell them its no problem at all for us to get a new lens but they will have to wait longer to get their glasses.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I you don't want your mother to wear it, don't dispense it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Exactly! The patient can wear the glasses while the lab remakes them. I expect quality lenses for every patient. Telling them there is a small blemish that won't hurt the optics sells the product and you short and most likely will come back to bite you in the A$$ if something goes wrong.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    +1. That's my philosphy. I have a responsibility to my patients- they expect nothing but excellence. Sometimes I will dispense the glasses in question and tell the patient that when the lenses are reordered and arrive I will call them so they can bring the glasses back and I can re-edge. Most people are perfectly fine with this arrangement. I think being proactive is the best solution.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not just for patient satisfaction, but for your own practice satisfaction. You are paying the lab for quality lenses, they need to deliver that to you. Even if there is a minor blemish that I know would be undetectable to a patient, *I'm* still getting shorted the product I pay for. It's not acceptable for me to pass anything I know is subpar to my patient, it's also not acceptable for my lab to pass anything they know is subpar to me, and if I can find it they can too. Perfection is possible, there is no reason not to ensure you provide it.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ngvdr View Post
    When inspecting lenses, what is acceptable in terms of blemishes? Obviously, any blemish that is clearly visible should be rejected, such as a scratch. What about minor blemishes that are only visible with a bright light background and are not optically disruptive? These are very small, about the size of a speck of dust. We notice these occasionally even on high end ARC lenses.
    8.11 Physical Quality and Appearance Test
    The lens inspection is carried out at a light/dark boundary and without the aid of magnifying optics. Inspect the lens within a room with ambient lighting of about 200 lux. Use as an inspection lamp either a fluorescent tube with a minimum of 15 W or an open shaded 40 W incandescent clear lamp. Position the lens about 300 mm from the light source and view against a dark background.

NOTES:1 – This observation is subjective and requires some experience. 2 – The diaphragm is adjusted to shield the eye from the light source and to allow the lens to be illuminated by the light as shown in Figure B.

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for all of the helpful feedback. I agree that we should expect the best, it is just an inconvenience for the patient, but in the long run it is the BEST thing for the patient to remake.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Shame ..................................

Anything that is not completely perfect on a lens should be rejected.

If you can not get perfect lenses, change the lab or the supplier, that should apply to any retailer that charges selling pricesof a conventional, professional optical retailer.

Less than perfection, should only be allowed for purchases at on-line optical's that sell at rock bottom prices and not inB&M stores or offices.

There should not even be a discussion on how much errors we can pass on for good money to customers.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I remember a story my father told me about a client asking him how all his photographs were always so good, the response was 'why would I show you the ones that aren't?'

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe standards allow you to accept blemishes, etc. that are outside a 30mm area/circle around the OC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Although this is ideal, there is NO perfect lens. Take enough time and light to a lens and you WILL find some flaw, some defect. My criteria is that if I can find any flaw with the unaided eye under an bright light, in under 3 minutes, then its a reject. Sometimes I if its a rush order I will explain the patient what I found and let them decide, most of them will look where I am pointing and never see a thing.

I would never dispense a lens that I found even the smallest flaw in without informing the patient of their option to have remade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Anything that is not completely perfect on a lens should be rejected.

If you can not get perfect lenses, change the lab or the supplier, that should apply to any retailer that charges selling pricesof a conventional, professional optical retailer.

Less than perfection, should only be allowed for purchases at on-line optical's that sell at rock bottom prices and not inB&M stores or offices.

There should not even be a discussion on how much errors we can pass on for good money to customers.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We all scream quality on OB against the scrap sold by on-liners .....................

Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post

Ibelieve standards allow you to accept blemishes, etc. that are outside a 30mmarea/circle around the OC.

When you take the price difference for lenses between a B&M store and the heavily advertised prices for lenses sold byon-line optical sellers, one should not even discuss that surface defaults not directly in the line of vision should be acceptable.

We all scream quality on OB against the scrap sold by on-liners and then discuss openly how much less from top quality lens surfaces we should pass on to the consumers. Real good marketing.............

Thread Information