Thread: i-optician-pad

Occupation
    Optometrist

i-optician-pad

I just got a little drop-in from a rep of an internationally-owned lens manufacturer / lab network (oui oui) who wanted to gauge my interest in an i-pad based optical measuring device.

What's it going to look like to my patients when my licensed optician pulls out an i-pad to take measurements? I'm thinking they'll be thinking: "Hey, cool app. Where do you download that from?"

Then, I think I'll be seeing "eye-pads" in the hands of recently-hired-for-minimum-wage-extremely-young-blue-blazered ladies at Lenscrafters while I shop the mall looking for one of those massage chairs to reduce my recently-worsening migraine headaches.

Then, I think I'll be seeing them in the pharmacy next to the hemorrhoid relief cream as I try to relieve the giant pain in the rectum this industry has become.

Then, I think I'll be seeing them at the giant diesel truckstops on the interstates next to the ATM machine as I flee to the Golden Gate Bridge to end it all.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Is it just a coincidence that these companies that make kiosks make this automated optician app?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I just got a little drop-in from a rep of an internationally-owned lens manufacturer / lab network (oui oui) who wanted to gauge my interest in an i-pad based optical measuring device.

What's it going to look like to my patients when my licensed optician pulls out an i-pad to take measurements? I'm thinking they'll be thinking: "Hey, cool app. Where do you download that from?"

Then, I think I'll be seeing "eye-pads" in the hands of recently-hired-for-minimum-wage-extremely-young-blue-blazered ladies at Lenscrafters while I shop the mall looking for one of those massage chairs to reduce my recently-worsening migraine headaches.

Then, I think I'll be seeing them in the pharmacy next to the hemorrhoid relief cream as I try to relieve the giant pain in the rectum this industry has become.

Then, I think I'll be seeing them at the giant diesel truckstops on the interstates next to the ATM machine as I flee to the Golden Gate Bridge to end it all.
    What did you say to the rep?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I told him I didn't think it would look too good for my optician to drag out some dumbass i-pad.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can see the use for Vertex (I hate measuring vertex) but for everything else I trust me and my trusty tools better. Case in point: Working her way thru school my daughter is working at a chain optical that has installed these "devices". She says that their remakes shot thru the roof and she refuses to use them, her mommy taught her well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IhaveSpecialEyes View Post
    I can see the use for Vertex (I hate measuring vertex) but for everything else I trust me and my trusty tools better. Case in point: Working her way thru school my daughter is working at a chain optical that has installed these "devices". She says that their remakes shot thru the roof and she refuses to use them, her mommy taught her well.

+1000!! Just discussing this with my husband, via an email that came thru, showing an iPad app to take measurements. (smile) And then my husband said he just read an article in one of our industry mags, about all of the technology going on, and how that doesn't replace the need for a professional who really knows what they are doing, and how optics work. Yes, some bread and butter jobs may be lost, but even then....someone has to 'fit' the things. (smile) I forsee a HUGE jump in the costs of adjustments in the near future if too many try and do this, via online or other sources. Lol, maybe even have 'degrees of difficulty' in the adjustment costs. A temple bend adj = $20, and ramp them up from there, depending on what is required. So few working in the chains really understand that as well.
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to use my iPad a lot at work. Used to to take photos of people while trying on frames if they have a high Rx. Also used it to show online catalogs to patients for color options. Works great for that. But to do measurements?.... Hell NO!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    As mentioned in the past, the "best" digital systems are fantastic for measuring PD, SH, Vertex, Pano and Panto. Just like the PD stick, Pupilometer and frame adjustments, being trained well in optics and how to use the systems is a must to get the patient the best eye wear. Would suggest an open minded approach to looking into these systems maybe even try before you buy. I remember when opticians complained about CR-39 and how glass was the only lens of today and the future (wrong), then the argument against progressives and how they would go away (wrong) and even the pupilometer was frowned upon and some believed it would go away (wrong again)... I could go on and on but the bottom line is, you should take a little time to become competent with a quality device and then make your decision...
    For the young lady who saw her stores remakes go up with a digital device, they either have a poor system or are using it incorrectly... IMHO

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optician1960,
    Id like to hear the argument or sales pitch, to an office fitting about a thousand pair of progressives a year and remakes around 1%. What's the angle as why they'd "need" this? Its easier to tell a curious customer they've visited an expert and not a dummy who "needs" something to do the work for them. Yet still not accomplishing those types of successful fits.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Anthony,
    "Need this" is not what I have said. In many cases, should "want this" is more like it. I have sold, fit, measured, manufactured and dispensed more than my fair share of PAL's, and had great success (PD stick, felt tip pen, pupilometer and now digital systems for measure). I have seen and heard more wow's and had more customers interested in what is being done in the measuring process today than in the past 3 decades. My skills and knowledge have not changed dramatically, but the tools and ability to engage the patient by showing them what I am doing has changed dramatically. I have also drawn my last PAL outline to give them an idea of how the lens is mapped, it is all now simulation on the digital system. Training a new apprentice with a visual system to do pre-fits and how and when to measure patients with different lenses and needs is much more effective and efficient.
    2 real life scenarios:
    * Best in class surgeries are done through small ports (trocars) by surgeons using a robot 10-15 feet from the operating table (Da Vinci system). Who would choose the Dr who claims the new tools do not work and wants to "open you up" or choose the Dr who is open to new concepts that work?
    * The best athletes in the world use pictures and images to help in their training to become the best of the best. This applies also to the preceptors and apprentices who utilize the digital image systems in training sessions...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolOptician View Post
    I forsee a HUGE jump in the costs of adjustments in the near future if too many try and do this, via online or other sources. Lol, maybe even have 'degrees of difficulty' in the adjustment costs. A temple bend adj = $20, and ramp them up from there, depending on what is required. So few working in the chains really understand that as well.
    I agree with you, but realize that adjustments and all professional services are already included in the price of frames and lenses, by tradition.

If we went to a "parts + labor" pricing structure, it would show a lot of service is involved (and that online parts-only-do-the-labor-yourself is not the deal it seems).

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that these devices are being beta-tested by opticians in order to refine them to be used instead of opticians.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    New technology is not always a bad thing, I'm not endorsing all the new apps but commenting that we should not dismiss all until we have all the facts. If you are old enough and have ever tech'd, you will remember performing tangent screen fields on patients. which is better, tangent screen or fields machine? for pressures, which is better McKay Marg or Goldman tonometry.
    We do need to keep an open mind when evaluating the new technology.

Randle

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that these devices are being beta-tested by opticians in order to refine them to be used instead of opticians.
    Rats testing the waters?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rat.jpg  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have one at work. They are not accurate for mono PD's although they are for total PD. The basic problems are:
    1. They are hard to hold steady- some kind of stand might help
    2. If they are not absolutely straight , that's where the monocular PD gets errors. Again, a stand might help
    3. It's very hard/ if not impossibe to align the frame outlining boxes with the lens edges. Picture not that sharp
    4. Takes too long to use for limited benefit. I'll take my penlight and felt tip pen any day !

Thread Information